• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    MARK MCKENZIE - Saving Sarah Cain

Beautifully calming and deeply melodic piano-led orchestral score with several touching and romantic passages in the vein of THE ULTIMATE GIFT. Needs more listens to grow in you than the afore-mentioned which was evidently a superior score, but still Sarah Cain has a lot of enjoyable music and intensely dramatic pieces - like "those were our tears" which as far as its structure and philosophy is concerned reminds me of Marianelli's brilliant "Elegy for Dunkirk" from Atonement, for those accustomed to such listens to satisfy your needs. Particularly recommended.

I'm glad to hear you like this score, Demetris. I'm still waiting on my autographed copy from BSX. I called them and the guy that answered the phone said they're waiting for McKenzie to sign them because he's busy "working on a project."

NP: Cleopatra - Trevor Jones
    It's so nice to own this score on CD (got it from Jones' website), possibly the composer's finest.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cleopatra has an incredibly catchy main theme. Whatever you do, DON'T watch the TV film, it's utterly appalling!!

Though it must be said that the actress who plays Cleo goes through a lovely wardrobe of completely 'see through' clothes cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2008 edited
    NP: Mysterious Island - Bernard Herrmann

This is the Tribute Film Classics re-recording conducted by Bill Stromberg and performed by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra.

Here's the Good...

The packaging, the liner notes, the performance, the recording, the conducting... all 5 star efforts.

The Bad...

The score. This is my second excruciating time through this complete score and it is easily one of the annoying scores I've ever heard from the pen of Bernard Herrmann. Again, I compare this score to Shampoo bottle instructions. Lather, Rinse and Repeat. In Herrmann's case - Statement 1, Statement 2, Repeat. It's the same stuff over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Augh! Make it end, please. Now, you are probably wondering why I would subject myself to this score again if I hated it the first time. Well, I'm planning out my Re-recording Show playlist and I need to find 15 minutes of music to play on the show and boy is it ever going to be a difficult task finding 15 minutes of good music in this score.

Anyway, IMHO, Herrmann's complete scores should be heard in the film and in the film only. They do work there magic with the picture and aren't as irritating. The only reason you would want to listen to any Herrmann music away from the film is in suite form because most of the time the best music from a 70 minute score is heard in a nice condensed 6-8 minute concert work.

So, kudos to Stromberg, Morgan and their team for a fine re-recording with beautiful production values. I just wish they had of recorded a better score. Can't win them all!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love the score to Mysterious Island though I have to admit I can't devour an entire listen.

"over and over and over and over again", no problem for me Erik, I like Philip Glass! wink

NP : SECRET OF THE SAHARA - Ennio Morricone

Fantastic! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I love the score to Mysterious Island though I have to admit I can't devour an entire listen.

"over and over and over and over again", no problem for me Erik, I like Philip Glass! wink

I guess that's it. Minimalism. Irritating. Now, I have to admit that there are a few excellent moments in Mysterious Island but as I said before those moments can all be found in concert recordings pf the score. All you need to hear is the Main Theme, The Balloon, Giant Bees, Giant Crab, and Finale and there you have it. Essentially you have heard the ENTIRE score by hearing only those 5 cues.

Anyway, moving on...

NP: The Sea Hawk - Erich Wolfgang Korgold

Now this is more like it. Again, the complete listen is a bit much... it's the middle section that really slows things down... but this is still a masterpiece and one of the greatest scores ever composed. I wish the recording was a little brighter like the Mysterious Island recording but it's still excellent nonetheless.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    3 Worlds of Gulliver - Hermann/McNeely

Only part way through (listened to it on the way to work), but so far what a lovely way to start the morning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Alias Season2

Like Lost season 2.Darker and richer.

INferno is one of the best cues ever penned by Giacchino
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

I guess that's it. Minimalism. Irritating. Now, I have to admit that there are a few excellent moments in Mysterious Island but as I said before those moments can all be found in concert recordings pf the score. All you need to hear is the Main Theme, The Balloon, Giant Bees, Giant Crab, and Finale and there you have it. Essentially you have heard the ENTIRE score by hearing only those 5 cues.

Anyway, moving on...

NP: The Sea Hawk - Erich Wolfgang Korgold

Now this is more like it. Again, the complete listen is a bit much... it's the middle section that really slows things down... but this is still a masterpiece and one of the greatest scores ever composed. I wish the recording was a little brighter like the Mysterious Island recording but it's still excellent nonetheless.

-Erik-

I DO agree that as far as MYSTERIOUS ISLAND goes, it's not a score that works well as a complete score album. I had only heard a concert suite presentation of around 15 minutes length when I heartily objected to your comments the last time you listened. Having now heard the whole thing, I'm inclined to see where you're coming from. Wonderful sound, performance, etc, but if it had started with a definitive 15 minute suite, that'd be what I'd listen to. I'd inclined a bit of the low-key stuff you wouldn't though - I think it makes the big pieces like 'The Big Crab' more impressive if they come in after a quieter track.

What I don't think, however, is that it has got anything to do with minimalism. It's like Carlo Siliotto's NOMAD, or some of Debbie Wiseman's scores: some good material, repeated a bit too often. Herrmann is always best in thriller mode, where there are character twists and narrative turns to mirror in the music.

I find the complete SEA HAWK quite hard to get through as well. But it's easier journey than MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK and FAHRENHEIT were my favourite re-recordings of last year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. NP: Quest For A Heart - Tuomas Kantelinen

I just came across this over at CDBaby - http://cdbaby.com/cd/tuomas4 - and immediately snapped it up!

In a way it's quite unlike anything that has been available from Tuomas so far. There's a quirkiness that you'd expect from an animated story and there are several grand action sequences - e.g., "Fire". (Not sure about the cues that have "Wacky" in the title though!!)

Great to hear something different from his usual assignments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008 edited
    NP : MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - Gabriel Yared

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WEDDING CRASHERS - Rolfe Kent

Surprisingly John Barry like at times.....an that ain't no bad thing! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Quest For A Heart - Tuomas Kantelinen

I just came across this over at CDBaby - http://cdbaby.com/cd/tuomas4 - and immediately snapped it up!

In a way it's quite unlike anything that has been available from Tuomas so far. There's a quirkiness that you'd expect from an animated story and there are several grand action sequences - e.g., "Fire". (Not sure about the cues that have "Wacky" in the title though!!)

Oh, i didn't know it was available! Thanks a lot for the link Alan!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Born On The Fourth July | John Williams & Various

One of my favourite song soundtracks with an astounding score to boot!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Born On The Fourth July | John Williams & Various

One of my favourite song soundtracks with an astounding score to boot!

You know what? After seeing your post I thought, 'Mmmm!? I haven't played BOTFJ for a loooooooonnnnng time, I think I'll play it!'.

Anyway, I've looked everywhere, starting with my Williams collection which is in alphabetical order to even looking through other composer racks just in case I'd accidently put it back with Chris Young or Zimmer etc. Finally looking through the areas where a Williams score could hide for many a year without being noticed, so I brushed the dust away from the spines of my meagre David Arnold and Danny Elfman collection ( wink ) all to no avail?

I truly hope this one hasn't gone the way of Christopher Gunning's Wild Africa, a great score that's been MIA for some years now confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Steven wrote
    Independence Day | David Arnold

Need some confident music before I go to the bar...

"Hoi. Wil je wat drinken?.... Hoi. Wil je wat drinken?..." I'm getting there. Big thanks to my good pal Martijn for helping me out there!

"Dit is al het Nederlands dat ik ken... Dit is al het Nederlands dat ik ken...".

Hehe! Cool. biggrin

I think I would be very impressed if a foreign guy said to me: "Hey.... de kat krabt de krullen van de trap. wink "

How did it go?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    She's on a field trip at the moment. slant

But her friends and flatmates are always down the bar, and I'm getting to know them pretty well... as much as I really like them all (quite a few are foreign students), it's her I want to see! :pinning:
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Oh, i didn't know it was available! Thanks a lot for the link Alan!

Really!? I was expecting some sort of comment that you'd been listening to it for a few days and would give some sort of opinion!

If you go for it, I'd like to hear what you think of it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote

But her friends and flatmates are always down the bar, and I'm getting to know them pretty well... as much as I really like them all (quite a few are foreign students), it's her I want to see! :pinning:

So, where's she from? What city? We could give you details on it, y'know, food for conversation and to impress wink

EDIT: mmm... you probably don't know that yet... have you talked to her already?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yeah! Steven, you could easily impress her by saying "I already have a bunch of Dutch friends, you know" cool

(that would be us) wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote

btw by "quirkiness" you mean oddly dark or something or standard mickey-mousing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

So, where's she from? What city? We could give you details on it, y'know, food for conversation and to impress wink

EDIT: mmm... you probably don't know that yet... have you talked to her already?

Seen her twice, and have played pool with her (albeit while we were playing doubles, with her on the other team). smile

Dutch girls are CUTE! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    Seen her twice, and have played pool with her (albeit while we were playing doubles, with her on the other team). smile

You did let her win, right? Dutch girls love that! wink (yep, that's why they always beat me!)

Steven wrote

Probably mainly the ones residing abroad slant (not you Bregje, you are cute also! cheesy But you don't count, since you're already taken tongue ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Come to Greece and we'll talk again wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

Ahhhh the magic of the Pool table cool

Remind me to never tell you my stories wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I like the Dutch.

Going off topic for a moment, though:

NP: 10,000BC - Harald Kloser and Thomas "Wander"

Surprisingly enjoyable! Very generic, but not bad at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE TRAIN - Philippe Sarde

I never get tired of this score! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote

Exactly what I think about it. The End Credits track is one of those I can be playing for hours.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I like the Dutch.

Going off topic for a moment, though:

But it's not good either. It's the same crap that's been shoved down our throats for years. Blah!

NP: Spellbound - Miklos Rozsa

This is the stunning Intrada recording. A smooth, relaxing, classy, gorgeous score. And while that theme gets a generous working from start to finish it never gets on my nerves. I welcome its return with open "ears" every time it decides to pop up. The theremin is GREAT (I could of used more of it in mix) and the epic track "The Awakening/Love Scene/The Dressing Gown/The Imposter/The Cigarette Chase" is a brilliant piece of musical storytelling. What a great re-recording and a fabulous score that doesn't get much talk around this part of the internet.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

Exactly what I think about it. The End Credits track is one of those I can be playing for hours.

I haven't listened to the entire score yet but from the very little i have *up to track 4 that is* i particularly enjoyed "passage of time", i think it's a very good piece. Looking forward to hear the rest as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Soldier - McNeely

I've combined the additional cues at his website with the Varese release to make my own extended album. It's not often I would do that sort of thing, which shows how much fun I get from this score.