• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atham wrote
    I Know who Killed Me - McNeely

Wow!!! cool cool cool

Indeed. First listen?

Yes it is.

Very rich indeed!

I'm now playing again.

AAaaaaaahhhh! cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I should check I Know Who Killed Me out, but a thriller score? I can't see why'd I be interested in it. Someone try and explain why I should give it a listen. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Don't you like thriller scores?!!|?!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If I haven't seen the film they're representing I usually can't ''connect'' to them that well. Is it in typical big orchestra McNeely fashion? Most importantly, is it interesting throughout? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: ZURG'S PLANET by RANDY NEWMAN

Man, it is worth buying the Toy Story 2 soundtrack just to listen to this amazing cue!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I had that score but sold it to someone. Now I'm thinking I want it back. The same goes for the first movie score. sad
  1. Anthony wrote
    I had that score but sold it to someone. Now I'm thinking I want it back. The same goes for the first movie score. sad

Never sell your CDs!! You never know when you'll want to revisit them!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote

That's very wise advice. I sold some in the early days and regret it (well, I regret it in one or two cases, I don't suppose Norman Orenstein's "Robocop: The Series" is one which will come back to bite me).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    If I haven't seen the film they're representing I usually can't ''connect'' to them that well. Is it in typical big orchestra McNeely fashion? Most importantly, is it interesting throughout? dizzy

It is not in the old McNeely style, no. It's a bit more like Herrmann. Very mature, quite subtle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote

Check out HOUR 1 of my Best of 2007 show. It's the first score I play!

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anthony wrote

That's very wise advice. I sold some in the early days and regret it (well, I regret it in one or two cases, I don't suppose Norman Orenstein's "Robocop: The Series" is one which will come back to bite me).

Yep! There's always the odd exception wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Just finished with CALL OF DUTY: FINEST HOUR. Been a while since I've played that one but I was inspired by the talk in the Giacchino thread to give it another spin.

I've now moved onto...

NP: Ivanhoe - Miklos Rozsa

I've been on a real Golden Age kick as of late. I'm not sure why... maybe it's because of my utter disappointment in newer scores over the past few years. Am I turning into those angry, sad, old farts on the other boards that dismiss everything that has come out post 1962? tongue Doubt it... but every time I try to listen to something new... especially some of the new crap that has come out lately I'm instantly turned off and have to turn to an age where the art of film music was so alive and well and was consistently churning out fantastic material.

Anyway, I'm currently listening to one of my all time favorite Golden Age score re-recorded brilliantly by the London Sinfonia, conducted by Bruce Broughton for the Intrada label. If all Golden Age re-recording sounded like this I'm sure there would be more fans of the era. Dynamite sound, near perfect performance with a conductor who truly understands the material and gets the most out of his players. Rozsa crafted a score around 12 century music including two songs written by King Richard and a popular French folk song which became the theme from Lady Rowena. The score contains spectacular and heroic action material and well as some tender, lush romantic music. Brilliant stuff!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    "sigh" Ivanhoe is still on my 'must get' list rolleyes

NP : MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Maurice Jarre

My favourite Jarre score, I'd love to see a complete release of this without the horrible 1980's Tina Turnip songs.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Went up stairs to do a little cleaning as we are expecting guests tonight so I threw on a Golden Age compilation that would keep my attention while I disinfected everything in the kitchen, cleaned up after my messy boy and made the house look nice. Boy, the smell of a slow cooking roast is sublime. Anyway, BLOOD AND THUNDER was the album i listened to - performed by the Seattle Symphony conducted by Cliff Eidelman. With a running time at just under 40 minutes this one flies by quickly. A lot of compilation favorites are here... "Parade of Charioteers" from Ben-Hur, "Overture" from North By Northwest and "The Ride of the Cossacks" from Taras Bulba. Also included is the rousing "Conquest" from Captain From Castile by Alfred Newman -- One of the best marches I've ever heard. There's a three track suite from Alex North's superb Cleopatra. The love theme is one of North's best pieces. The only non-Golden Age track is "Raisului Attacks" from Jerry Goldsmith's classic The Wind and the Lion. When I first listened to this compilation I thought that this would be the "Oooooh Noooooo" track. There is no way in hell that anyone could perform this thing to perfection never mind duplicating the wonderful and aggressive performance from the original recording. Well, the Seattle Symphony surprised me. They knock this one out of the park! And Cliff Eidleman, even though at the beginning of the piece slows things down a bit, picks up the break neck speed pace of the piece during the latter half. Awesome stuff! Elmer Bernstien's The Ten Commandements gets a generous 7 and a half minute suite and the album ends off with the brilliant Mutiny on the Bounty "Overture" by Bronislau Kaper. I personally would have ended this with Waxman's show stopper, "The Ride of the Cossacks," but that's would be my only change. A surprisingly entertaining and well performed album. A solid sampler of "Parades, Processionals and Attacks from Hollywood's most epic films."

I've now moved onto...

NP: Lionheart - Jerry Goldsmith

I Love, LOVE, LOVE this score. Rich themes, a gorgeous theme for Robert and Blanche, and a finale track that seems to never want to end! A masterpiece!

-Erik-
  2. I enjoy BLOOD AND THUNDER. For emergency mornings when I have to wake up, I use my CD player alarm clock set to 'Parade of the Charioteers' from that CD. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP WarHawk (Christopher Lennertz)

Another impressive effort by Lennertz (with Timothy Wynn´s help), and another great videogame score.
    The main theme sets the mood of the score and it gets better and better as the soundtrack goes by, with some Poledouris´homages included, very nice. Bold, epic, brassy and action packed. Recommended!

A link to an interesting article related to this score:
    http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3163391
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Went up stairs to do a little cleaning as we are expecting guests tonight so I threw on a Golden Age compilation that would keep my attention while I disinfected everything in the kitchen, cleaned up after my messy boy and made the house look nice. Boy, the smell of a slow cooking roast is sublime. Anyway, BLOOD AND THUNDER was the album i listened to - performed by the Seattle Symphony conducted by Cliff Eidelman. With a running time at just under 40 minutes this one flies by quickly. A lot of compilation favorites are here... "Parade of Charioteers" from Ben-Hur, "Overture" from North By Northwest and "The Ride of the Cossacks" from Taras Bulba. Also included is the rousing "Conquest" from Captain From Castile by Alfred Newman -- One of the best marches I've ever heard. There's a three track suite from Alex North's superb Cleopatra. The love theme is one of North's best pieces. The only non-Golden Age track is "Raisului Attacks" from Jerry Goldsmith's classic The Wind and the Lion. When I first listened to this compilation I thought that this would be the "Oooooh Noooooo" track. There is no way in hell that anyone could perform this thing to perfection never mind duplicating the wonderful and aggressive performance from the original recording. Well, the Seattle Symphony surprised me. They knock this one out of the park! And Cliff Eidleman, even though at the beginning of the piece slows things down a bit, picks up the break neck speed pace of the piece during the latter half. Awesome stuff! Elmer Bernstien's The Ten Commandements gets a generous 7 and a half minute suite and the album ends off with the brilliant Mutiny on the Bounty "Overture" by Bronislau Kaper. I personally would have ended this with Waxman's show stopper, "The Ride of the Cossacks," but that's would be my only change. A surprisingly entertaining and well performed album. A solid sampler of "Parades, Processionals and Attacks from Hollywood's most epic films."

I've now moved onto...

NP: Lionheart - Jerry Goldsmith

I Love, LOVE, LOVE this score. Rich themes, a gorgeous theme for Robert and Blanche, and a finale track that seems to never want to end! A masterpiece!

-Erik-

I'm drunk, so go easy on me when you reply (yes, alcohol *IS* an excuse).... but please, for the love of god, use paragraphs! (Nice read nonetheless. wink)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ZULU - John Barry

Not exactly early morning listening but what the hey!? wink

Finished and off to... sleep

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Playing Briefly : HOist the colours film version VS Hoist the Colors cd Suite version

the first contains a longest waltz, with the trumpet , chorus and accordion mixed loudest. But the action stuff is cutted and edited.

BUt the second contains the action stuff without any editing and with the bells mixed loudest.

I can't choose between them!

NP: Temple Of the Doom

Wow..Im in Indy mood again, this score is so colorful and energic that makes me jump of my seat!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    the first contains a longest waltz, with the trumpet , chorus and accordion mixed loudest. But the action stuff is cutted and edited.

BUt the second contains the action stuff without any editing and with the bells mixed loudest.

I can't choose between them!

Why should you? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A Beautiful Mind (My arrangement) | James Horner

Always a nice listen after a [semi-] heavy night!

Right thread this time...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Eye (Marco Beltrami)

ZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZZZz sleep
    Standard, very standard horror score. One funny thing though: "The Eye Main Titles" is like an extension, or a self rip, of the Main Theme from "3:10 to Yuma".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Man In The Moon - James Newton Howard

One of James' loveliest scores, just downright pleasant. Perfect for a chilled Saturday afternoon listen.

cool
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    NP: Planet of the Apes - Danny Elfman

The best score Elfman has composed in the 21st century. Great action cues like The Hunt, Preparing For Battle and the both Main Titles cues are all amazing, maybe the best action tracks Elfman has ever written.

I'm now off to the sauna, have a nice evening everybody!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JuPe wrote
    NP: Planet of the Apes - Danny Elfman

The best score Elfman has composed in the 21st century. Great action cues like The Hunt, Preparing For Battle and the both Main Titles cues are all amazing, maybe the best action tracks Elfman has ever written.

I'm now off to the sauna, have a nice evening everybody!

Welcome Juha wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Lost Season 3 - Michael Giacchino

I wish.

But 2 is good enough to make up for it, almost.

"Hurley's Handouts" is one of the most beautiful and relaxing pieces of music I've ever heard.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR WARS - John Williams

Lovin' it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote

Lovin' it! punk

What is it like?

Jk. biggrin

But seriously, how might you describe Star Wars to someone who'd never heard it?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

Lovin' it! punk

What is it like?

Jk. biggrin

But seriously, how might you describe Star Wars to someone who'd never heard it?

I've no idea? I don't speak outer Mongolian!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote

Hurry up?