• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Searching for Bobby Fischer (Horner)

Can't get enough of this today. It's good to enjoy Horner again.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Searching for Bobby Fischer (Horner)

Can't get enough of this today. It's good to enjoy Horner again.

Haven't listened to that one in ages, it is a great Horner score, far from the creatively-dead composer on display in recent years! wink

Harry and the Hendersons - Bruce Broughton
    A massive score - long and energetic and colourful and very detailed. A typical Broughton score in other words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2008 edited
    Played last Night: CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR - James Newton Howard

A pretty likeable score, with conventional Americana tracks mixed with conventional Middle Eastern tracks. Together they make up for an enjoyable 30 min., with Turning the Tide of course as the highlight. Someone recently told me it was a shameless redo of Handel's Messiah, but from what I know of it, there is hardly a resemblence. Does anyone know more of its influences? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    BobdH wrote
    Played last Night: CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR - James Newton Howard

A pretty likeable score, with conventional Americana tracks mixed with conventional Middle Eastern tracks. Together they make up for an enjoyable 30 min., with Turning the Tide of course as the highpoint. Someone recently told me it was a shameless redo of Handel's Messiah, but from what I know of it, there is hardly a resemblence. Does anyone know more of its influences? confused

It's And He shall purify from Händel's Messiah. You can listen to an audio clip at Wikipedia (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thomas wrote
    It's And He shall purify from Händel's Messiah. You can listen to an audio clip at Wikipedia (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messiah).

Ah, thanks! Weird they don't give that piece any credit, then? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, i agree. Can't wait for my copy to arrive!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thomas wrote

Thanks!

Couldn't be cmposed by JNH, it sounded something Händel indeed.
    The texts makes sense too I guess.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Game Score) - James Hannigan

Wow! Brilliant music this time around.
    The films should be scored by Hannigan not Hooper!
    I like some moments of Hooper's film score but Hannigan's game score is consistantly good! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STARGATE - David Arnold

The best I can say about this is that it's 'listenable' , I really like some of the choral parts but overall I just don't like Arnold's themes which do very little for me. I wish I had Steven and Jordi's passion for this composer then I'd have new works to look forward to rather than a non-existant John Barry! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wish you did too! tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Doctor Who (Murray Gold)
    My first listen and already shocked
    Now this is good, varied, orchestral (electronically enhanced) music! I think I´m gonna start watching the show. Does the show live up to the score?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    ..overall I just don't like Arnold's themes which do very little for me...

I find that really hard to comprehend!? Even non-film music fans say they like the Stargate theme. I honestly cannot understand why anyone wouldn't like it, especially a film music fan? Genuinely perplexed on this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNunoM
    NP: The Spy Who Loved Me - Marvin Hamlisch

Bond 77 and Ride to Atlantis are two of the most coolest tracks, that you can find on James Bond scores.
    The rest of the score is easily forgettable, with to many source cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A.I. Artificial Intelligence | John Williams

Although a rather different score to both Close Encounters and ET (though sharing some similarities), it still has that classic vibe to it, as though it almost could have been composed in between each of those scores. It's hard to put my finger on it, but there's something about this score? Magical is the only word I can think of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    It's hard to put my finger on it

And here goes the E.T. pun ;
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Weak.... weak. rolleyes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Man, every time i am reminded of other South Park freaks like me i get REALLY excited biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    W..W..What a great audience!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ..overall I just don't like Arnold's themes which do very little for me...

I find that really hard to comprehend!? Even non-film music fans say they like the Stargate theme. I honestly cannot understand why anyone wouldn't like it, especially a film music fan? Genuinely perplexed on this one.

Ah ha! ( said Alan Partridge biggrin )

Perhaps now you'll understand what I feel when you say similar things about Ennio Morricone!?

It's still beyond my comprehension that you get nothing from The Ecstasy Of Gold, a piece that, IMO, is one of the greatest singular pieces of music EVER written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True. I guess I understand a little bit better now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Marselus wrote
    Now this is good, varied, orchestral (electronically enhanced) music!

I double that after my complete first listen.
    shocked shocked
    I love when they spend the money in such scores. I want more. Proceeding to Doctor Who - Series 3.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Marselus wrote

shocked shocked
    I love when they spend the money in such scores. I want more. Proceeding to Doctor Who - Series 3.

Gold is brilliant, catchy hummable melodies and great dramatic scoring, he's a Barry Gray for this Century!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Oh...Im worried it's a long time since my last Powell Mood...

I will try to force into it.

NP:Ice Age 2.

It reminds me to the summer I went to Madrid to see and talk with Zimmer and HGW. What an special summer!

The Waterpark, Ellie gets trapped,Manie to the rescue and Mini Slothts are the reason why we love powell!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Phew.... impossible to keep up with the NP thread when you missed a couple of days!

Anyway, last week I fell asleep on the coach again (as usual every night hehe) and I woke up by the music of The Last Samurai because the movie was on TV... wow, it had been a very long time since I listened to that one and it hit me again. It was really a palpitations-situation, also because I woke up kind of confused and alienated, you know how it goes... It is a score that moves me very intensely.

So, I listened to that one a couple of times on monday which was great and today I took out The Da Vinci Code, also a long-time-no-hear score and it is blowing me away right now.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Shooter - Mark Mancina

It's ok I guess, being one of the more interesting ''drone'' scores. I swear he's nicked part of it off Sean Callery's 24 (the bass line in ''River Barge Escape''). I like the tense string line in ''Meeting In The Mountains'' and the the guitar and the drum and bass ending to the last score cue (I can't remember, is it called ''Revenge''?!) is pretty nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP Humanoids From The Deep - James Horner

Ahhhhh, such humble beginnings for young Horner!
    I remember buying this album back in 1983 soon after Star Trek 2.
    Nowhere near the same league!
    But I have a soft spot for this little score.
    Despite the obvious rips from Jaws, Alien, Star Trek: TMP and even a passage from The Swarm I still enjoy this score despite its simplicity. It's not an easy score to return to though.
    But since the deluxe release of Alien I've become attached to the echoplex effect. There is a certain sound produced here that I enjoy hearing. C'mon modern scorers, bring back the echoplex!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Marselus wrote

shocked shocked

Gold is brilliant, catchy hummable melodies and great dramatic scoring, he's a Barry Gray for this Century!

Indeed! I can´t stop playing his Doctor Who scores. I´m hypnotized by both.
    Oh, and that song, "Love Don't Roam", is one of the most addictive songs in years!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited
    NP: THE MIST - Mark Isham

Alright, this seriously improved the second time around, now I know what to expect. The moody and at times agressive score prior to The Host of Seraphim is basically what you'd expect from Isham turning horror, but it suits perfect and the vocals he uses are downright chilling. The true highlight, of course, remains the Dead Can Dance song, though the impact of it is enhanced by what goes before. It is also, however, totally diminished by what follows, the still annoying jazz-piece. Avoid that at all costs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Mutiny on the Bounty - Bronislau Kaper

One of my all time favorites. I'm listening to disc one which features the Film Recordings. A superb adventure score with a soaring Overture to start things off and then seques into the famous Main Title theme performed by full orchestra and choir. I also adore the native festival theme and the memorable and hypnotic love theme. One of the very last roadshow pictures from the Golden Age of Hollywood and it features Kaper at his finest. This glorious score also contains one of the greatest action cues of all time, "Outrigger Chase" which is sandwiched between "Maimiti / Goodbye Maimiti / Deserters and Outrigger Chase / Prisoners / Intermission" Thank God for complete and chronological releases. Here I get the chance to hear the cue as heard and performed for the film plus I get an alternate recording of the Outrigger Chase on Disc 2 and the album version on Disc 3. Bravo FSM for a fine release. For those that don't own this album... shame on you!

What a way to start off the morning!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don't you mean "for those that DON'T own this album... shame on you!" Erik?

I'm all for these complete releases too, it really shouldn't be a problem for the Thor's of this world to hop, skip & jump over tracks they don't want to hear! wink