• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008
    Southall wrote

...I bet he's some European arthouse composer...

Nope, just another soldier in the RC squadron.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    NP: Vantage Point

First listen. I saw the trailer and thought the film looked OK so checked IMDB to see who was doing the score... "never heard of him," I thought, "but he's got such an exotic name, I bet he's some European arthouse composer being given his big break in Hollywood."

But now, I've heard it. Sigh.

Wow! That good? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    n.p. LEE DONG-JUNE - 2009: Lost Memories
    The movie looks like plain horrible crap but the score kicks ass!

Yes it does! That´s the action side of Lee. punk

About the movie, it´s a science fiction-action blockbuster that kicks ass too! Much better than most of those average and boring Hollywood crap we are used to.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

Excellent! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

About the movie, it´s a science fiction-action blockbuster that kicks ass too! Much better than most of those average and boring Hollywood crap we are used to.

Interesting! 'Cause that making of video showed the movie as REALLY cheap and ugly looking!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Interesting! 'Cause that making of video showed the movie as REALLY cheap and ugly looking!

Actually the photography and editing, as usual with Korean cinema, are top notch. Keep in mind that the footage of that little making of video (it looks more like a videoclip though) doesn´t show how does actually the film "looks". Anyway, a fine actioneer powered up with Lee´s bold and epic score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah; you're right. I might check it out smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FREDERIC TALGORN - Moliere

Classy, lushly melodic, charming film scoring of top quality in all aspects; the orchestra carries a surprising warmth, the classical arrangements bear a very rich and full sound with large emphasis on complex woodwind and strings writing and the melodies are instantly lovable as carried through the elegant waltzes. I am deeply impressed by this underrated, huge surprise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 29th 2008 edited
    NP: The Right Stuff / North and South - Bill Conti

I really wanted to only listen to the North and South portions but still is one of my all time favorite recordings so I started at the beginning with The Right Stuff suite which get a lot of it's material from Holst's The Planets, Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto and others. How this score one best ORIGINAL score is beyond however his rearrangement of Jupiter during "Breaking the Sound Barrier" is quite impressive. And "Yeager's Triumph" is one of my all time favorite tracks... borrowings and all mainly because I heard this track first and then the Violin Concerto second. The orchestrations are basically identical. And you guys thought Horner was bad...

Speaking of favorite themes... the main theme from "North and South" could easily be Conti's best. Yes, even better than Rocky! I hope that the Varese edition doesn't sell out any time soon as I hope to pick it up in the next few weeks or so when some cash comes in.

As for the recording... arguably Eric Tomlinson's finest. The LSO has NEVER sounded better! When the low brass kicks in half way into "Breaking The Sound Barrier" is really tests your sound system. Deep bass baby! And the French Horns sound brilliant! An awesome album!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Jeu d´Enfants (Philippe Rombi)
    shocked
    I haven´t heard a single note from Rombi´s pen that I don´t find beautiful. Such a great composer he is, IMO. Always melodic in his scores, precious orchestrations and arrangements....an artist not to be missed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Titan A.E. just came on the TV and I just watched the spectacular opening scene from that film... I forgot how cool that scene was and how down hill the rest of the film went afterwards. One thing that really stood out was Revell's opening cue. Wow! I'm shocked because I'm not a fan of Revell's at all and I know he loves to hand over his music to ghostwriters, so whether or not this is Revell's music the opening 6 and half minute is quite mind blowing!

I've moved onto...

NP: Trinity and Beyond - William Stromberg, John Morgan and Lennie Moore

For those that have never seen the film or heard the music you have NO IDEA what you are missing. The score is a massive, Golden Age inspired work featuring the Moscow Symphony Orchestra, huge Russian choir, and themes galore.

Check out the highlight cue "Hiroshima" in this YouTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIPNCZTbtQ0

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    NP Jeu d´Enfants (Philippe Rombi)
    shocked
    I haven´t heard a single note from Rombi´s pen that I don´t find beautiful. Such a great composer he is, IMO. Always melodic in his scores, precious orchestrations and arrangements....an artist not to be missed.

COULDN'T AGREE MORE!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: Trinity and Beyond - William Stromberg, John Morgan and Lennie Moore

For those that have never seen the film or heard the music you have NO IDEA what you are missing. The score is a massive, Golden Age inspired work featuring the Moscow Symphony Orchestra, huge Russian choir, and themes galore.

Check out the highlight cue "Hiroshima" in this YouTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIPNCZTbtQ0

-Erik-

I've seen the film. Awesome docco!
    Narrated by William Shatner. Amazing visuals!
    But it's the music that shines even brighter than the mushroom clouds!
    Love the album. And the follow up Atomic Journey/Nukes In Space.
    A wonderful homage to composers like Prokofiev, Herrmann and it even has a dash of Elfman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2008
    NP: The Water Horse - Legend Of The Deep - James Newton Howard

This score and I Am Legend were clearly the two James put most passion into last year and although I believe I Am Legend is the better effort (I think it's technically amazing, as Demetris said), I find I'm listening to The Water Horse far more. It has beautiful string writing, great action material and haunting Celtic melodies.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mission Impossible | Danny Elfman

I'd forgotten how brilliant this score is. This is my favourite in-movie score of the trilogy by far, even if the latter two make better albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Asterix at the Olympics

Well, there was so much fuss about it, I thought I had to have it. "John Williams-like" said everyone. Hmm. John Williams on an extremely bad day, perhaps. This is it?
  1. More Talgorn than Williams, I would say.

Hype can often be a score killer. But do let me know the next time this year you hear music that well-written. I suspect there'll be a while wait involved. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I listened to Island of Lost Souls this evening - the hype seemed far more justified there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2008
    Southall wrote
    NP: Asterix at the Olympics

Well, there was so much fuss about it, I thought I had to have it. "John Williams-like" said everyone. Hmm. John Williams on an extremely bad day, perhaps. This is it?

Sure much of the score's style is Tagorn's but tracks like Generique Debut and sections of La Course de Chars could be mistaken as John Williams' scoring in Space Camp/Hook/Home Alone/Potter mode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Turning Point (Giacchino)

GameRip

I really, really Love Giacchino's sound and orchestrations. I do.

But Im worried because the 70 % of his themes doesn't work for me. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Turning Point (Giacchino)

GameRip

I really, really Love Giacchino's sound and orchestrations. I do.

But Im worried because the 70 % of his themes doesn't work for me. sad

That's because most of Giacchino's "themes" are simplistic and unemotional. We know he CAN write great themes when he wants to ("Medal of Honor" main theme, some of the themes from "Lost"), so I don't quite understand why he doesn't do it more often.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Robots | John Powell

The epitome of a summery score! Great fun when you're in the mood for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJohn
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Water Horse - Legend Of The Deep - James Newton Howard

This score and I Am Legend were clearly the two James put most passion into last year and although I believe I Am Legend is the better effort (I think it's technically amazing, as Demetris said), I find I'm listening to The Water Horse far more. It has beautiful string writing, great action material and haunting Celtic melodies.

cool

Yes, yes, yes, i'm with you on the Water Horse! Although I wouldn't say the I Am Legend score is amazing, but is still very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    That's because most of Giacchino's "themes" are simplistic and unemotional.

Simplistic and unemotional... please! rolleyes But if we are in Opposite Land then you are absolutely correct... errrr... wrong... because we are in opposite land... therefore if you are wrong then you are right.... ummm... ah forget it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

Simplistic and unemotional... please! rolleyes But if we are in Opposite Land then you are absolutely correct... errrr... wrong... because we are in opposite land... therefore if you are wrong then you are right.... ummm... ah forget it.

-Erik-

It confused me as well; Giacchino's themes simplistic and unemotional?!? The one composer who still writes actual themes in our days?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - Turning point: fall of liberty

Thanks to a lovely gent, i am into a complete punk right now!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERGIRL - Jerry Goldsmith

Great theme some really great tracks it's just that this Silva release is a bit long winded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

It confused me as well; Giacchino's themes simplistic and unemotional?!? The one composer who still writes actual themes in our days?!

I said "most" of them. But maybe I'm wrong. It's just that besides the "Medal of Honor" main theme and a few of the Lost melodies, I never find any of Giacchino's themes stuck in my head like I, for example, get the themes of someone like Alan Silvestri stuck in my head. Now THERE is someone who writes actual themes.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    But if we are in Opposite Land then you are absolutely correct... errrr... wrong... because we are in opposite land... therefore if you are wrong then you are right.... ummm... ah forget it.

LOL! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

-Erik-

I said "most" of them. But maybe I'm wrong. It's just that besides the "Medal of Honor" main theme and a few of the Lost melodies, I never find any of Giacchino's themes stuck in my head like I, for example, get the themes of someone like Alan Silvestri stuck in my head. Now THERE is someone who writes actual themes.

AUGH! Do I have to point them out AGAIN a la MP3's. Dood, there are dozens are gorgeous and highly emotional themes. I mean, what about "Arnhem" from Frontline, "End Titles" from Call of Duty: Finest Hour, "It's Snowing" from The Family Stone, "Main Theme" from No Salida, "Ratatouille Main Theme" from Ratatouille, the finale of "The Normandy Coast" from SWON, "Buzz Cut" and "Firewatch" from Semper Fi, his entire Camden 2000 symphony, "The Finale" from Looking For Comedy In The Muslim World and many, many more.

Anyway, here are a few examples of GREAT and MEMORABLE Giacchino themes.

Allied Assault

Alias

Arnhem

Black

Family Stone

Frontline

Lost

Lost World

Markers Salt Mine

Mercenaries

Labyrinth of the Minotaur

Medal of Honor

No Salisa

Panzer Theme

The Railgun

Small Soldiers

Secret Weapons Over Normandy

MOH: Underground

Stopping the V2

Those are just a HAND FULL of wonderful and memorible themes from the pen of Michael Giacchino.

-Erik-