• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I think you just have to let it go, Erik. If I provided soundclips round here every time someone defied my taste in music, posting here would be a full time job. wink

(My favourite Giacchino theme is the RATATOUILLE love theme incidentally. That's what a theme should be.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2008
    Just thought I'd point out some of those "themes" that the poster might have been missing. Plus, the clips were left over from a similar post at scorereviews so... yeah!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I will admit I don't really like the Turning Point theme, but I don't care. It's a big, loud a emotionless action score. Why do you want anything more than percussion and strings in a shooter killing Nazis?!

Calling his themes emotionless?! My friend, you need to watch Lost. So many themes in that can bring me to tears when used in the right place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008
    Anthony wrote
    I will admit I don't really like the Turning Point theme, but I don't care. It's a big, loud a emotionless action score. Why do you want anything more than percussion and strings in a shooter killing Nazis?!

Calling his themes emotionless?! My friend, you need to watch Lost. So many themes in that can bring me to tears when used in the right place.

I repeat for the third time that Lost is NOT included in my "emotionless" statement.

Erik Woods wrote
    Just thought I'd point out some of those "themes" that the poster might have been missing. Plus, the clips were left over from a similar post at scorereviews so... yeah!

-Erik-

So I'm just "the poster" now? Haven't I been around long enough to be called by my name?

just SEEING all the sound clips you posted is enough to convince me that I'm wrong. I didn't know Giacchino had so many scores beyond Lost, MoH and Pixar.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    So I'm just "the poster" now? Haven't I been around long enough to be called by my name?

Sorry Matt. I was on a new page so I couldn't see your name when writing my post.

Scribe wrote
    just SEEING all the sound clips you posted is enough to convince me that I'm wrong. I didn't know Giacchino had so many scores beyond Lost, MoH and Pixar.

You aren't wrong. It's your opinion. If you have no emotional connection with Giacchino music that's fine... however, maybe I can help enlighten you concerning his music with some of those examples that I listed. Again, if you get NOTHING out of those clips then there is nothing more that I can do to convince you otherwise. Tastes are different and that's what make this place interesting.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: A Bug's Life - Randy Newman

Fun way to kill some time punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Fools of fortune (Zimmer)

I recomend this score to Erik Woods, who likes irish music. It's not all arounds, but it has some beautiful irish stuff, and some neo-classical lovely dramatic music from zimmer.

I recomend to Bregt too.

Why anyone talks about this score when talks about Zimmer?

IMHO is better than House of Spirits
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The World Is Not Enough | David Arnold

My least favourite of the Arnold Bond scores, but with my favourite rendition of the James Bond theme ala 'Come In 007, Your Time Is Up'.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

My least favourite of the Arnold Bond scores, but with my favourite rendition of the James Bond theme ala 'Come In 007, Your Time Is Up'.

Yes! punk Caviar Factory was also good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Fools of fortune (Zimmer)

I recomend this score to Erik Woods, who likes irish music. It's not all arounds, but it has some beautiful irish stuff, and some neo-classical lovely dramatic music from zimmer.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have an 18 minute suite from this score on "The British Years" compilation released by Milan. I've just added it to my Now Playing playlist for the day.

NP: Larger Than Life - Various Artists

I'm playing music from a personal compilation of BIG, LOUD and EPIC film music featuring SKY CAPTAIN, KING KONG, MODY DICK and others. Every track except the Stargate Atlantis Main Title and The Lost World have at least one edit. It takes a long time to edit these BEASTS down but it's so well worth it once it's finished.

Here's the art work

http://www.dillusions.net/erik/cdcovers/larger.jpg
    http://www.dillusions.net/erik/cdcovers/larger2.jpg

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - Children of dune

Amazing, beautiful scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    BRIAN TYLER - Children of dune

Amazing, beautiful scoring.

Agree, this is where I discovered Tyler and was highly impressed.

NP Oui, Mais (Philippe Rombi)
    Man this composer has an ability for melodies, orchestrations and arrangements that is really strange these days. Not as big and grand as "Angel" or "Joyeux Noël", but this "Oui, Mais" is another brilliant work of a composer that is from now on in my list of favourite composers.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

It has got ICE BANDITS that's a corking track with a cool Barry vibe, I return to this track quite often. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Scribe wrote

You aren't wrong. It's your opinion. If you have no emotional connection with Giacchino music that's fine... however, maybe I can help enlighten you concerning his music with some of those examples that I listed. Again, if you get NOTHING out of those clips then there is nothing more that I can do to convince you otherwise. Tastes are different and that's what make this place interesting.

-Erik-

The only thing is, now I'm afraid to listen to these clips because I don't want to be introduced to Giacchino material that I might love and yet am not able to have because I know a lot of these more obscure Giacchino scores are not readily available. Could you tell me which are?

BTW, I have listened to "Hurley's Handouts" three times in the last 24 hours and considering that its one of my favorite pieces of music EVER, I have no right to put Giacchino and "unemotional" in the same sentence regardless of what I think of scores like "The Incredibles" (which score's lack of emotion (to me) was a major source of my original comment).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote

I'm playing music from a personal compilation of BIG, LOUD and EPIC film music featuring SKY CAPTAIN, KING KONG, MODY DICK and others. Every track except the Stargate Atlantis Main Title and The Lost World have at least one edit. It takes a long time to edit these BEASTS down but it's so well worth it once it's finished.

Here's the art work

-Erik-

Wow! Nice compilation there. Good choice of music too!
    I love music editing so I'd love to hear where you chose to truncate your tracks. I do that with my compilations too using Sound Forge or Vegas.
    And brilliant album cover design! How do you do that? Photoshop and/or ......?
    If I saw it on the shop shelf I'd buy it instantly! Nice job!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008 edited
    NP : ATONEMENT - Dario Marianelli

Wonderful scoring and a great film too! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008
    Atham wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Here's the art work

-Erik-

Wow! Nice compilation there. Good choice of music too!
    I love music editing so I'd love to hear where you chose to truncate your tracks. I do that with my compilations too using Sound Forge or Vegas.

I use Adobe Audition 1.5

Atham wroteAnd brilliant album cover design! How do you do that? Photoshop and/or ......?
    If I saw it on the shop shelf I'd buy it instantly! Nice job!

Thanks. I use Photoshop for all my "designs."

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Just watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom today. Am I the only one who thinks this has the current best Indiana Jones score (at least until Crystal Skull comes out)? A complete (or a packed single CD release) score release would be heaven sent.

No offense Erik, but Williams' Raiders and Crusade scores just doesn't do it for me. Both of them have their moments, but I just think they're overrated. Temple is just pure Williams magic -- the action scoring and "Nocturnal Activities" are just wonderful.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Just watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom today. Am I the only one who thinks this has the current best Indiana Jones score (at least until Crystal Skull comes out)? A complete (or a packed single CD release) score release would be heaven sent.

No offense Erik, but Williams' Raiders and Crusade scores just doesn't do it for me. Both of them have their moments, but I just think they're overrated. Temple is just pure Williams magic -- the action scoring and "Nocturnal Activities" are just wonderful.

Temple is my second favorite score of all time and one of the finest sequel scores ever composed. The collection of new themes, the variations on the old and familiar and the epic, golden age sensibilities are absolutely breathtaking. One of my many favorite cues is the "Stealing The Stones" cue... the orchestra and Rozsaesque chorus is spine tingling. One of the best scored moment from the entire trilogy. Last Crusade NEVER hit those heights.

However, with that all said... RAIDERS is still the best Goddamn score ever written!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    No, it isn't. The finest score(s) ever composed by Williams is Superman: The Movie and Star Wars. Both are infectious, excellent throughout and deserve the immense praise heaped upon them.

Aside from the March, love theme, the marketplace sequence and the action cues in Raiders, the rest of the score just doesn't click for me (particularly the scene where Indy discovers the location of the Ark and whenever the Nazis arrive). It's all well-composed, but I just can't seem to love it. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I just can't seem to love it like the majority does.

Much like you and *cough*TheGoldenCompass*cough*
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: "Out of the Ashes: Search for Water" from Lair Complete by John Debney
    This is one of those scores that just begs for a more comprehensive release...maybe we can get MSM or La-La-Land to release a 2CD set? This particular cue is a different and fabulous use of one of the main themes (I haven't quite figure out which is which yet) as a suspense/adventure cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    No, it isn't. The finest score(s) ever composed by Williams is Superman: The Movie and Star Wars. Both are infectious, excellent throughout and deserve the immense praise heaped upon them.

Both are brilliant as well.

Matt C wrote
    Aside from the March, love theme, the marketplace sequence and the action cues in Raiders, the rest of the score just doesn't click for me (particularly the scene where Indy discovers the location of the Ark and whenever the Nazis arrive).

Good lord! Are you telling me that "The Map Room: Dawn" does absolutely NOTHING for you? That sequence and everything up until the Airplane Fight is musical storytelling at its absolute finest. And the discovery of the Ark itself is breathtaking. The Ark theme interpolated with the Medallion theme is delicious as Sallah and Indy lift the Ark up to give the audience its first glimpse of the it! A brilliantly paced part of the film and score. The whole damn score is perfection.

Matt C wrote
    Much like you and *cough*TheGoldenCompass*cough*

You CANNOT compare Raiders to The Golden Compass. Raiders reaches heights that only Compass wishes it could achieve. Don't even go there!

-Erik-
  2. I don't know if GOLDEN COMPASS 'wishes' it could be RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. However RAIDERS may be what the director, or the studio, or perhaps even Erik Woods wishes it was! wink

NP: Nothing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't know if GOLDEN COMPASS 'wishes' it could be RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. However RAIDERS may be what the director, or the studio, or perhaps even Erik Woods wishes it was! wink

NP: Nothing.

I wished The Golden Compass was a good as Raiders... unfortunately it is not. Too bad... such potential there. At least my wish came true with Raiders. Thank you, John Williams... you heard me! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - The Hunted

punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Scribe wrote
    The only thing is, now I'm afraid to listen to these clips because I don't want to be introduced to Giacchino material that I might love and yet am not able to have because I know a lot of these more obscure Giacchino scores are not readily available. Could you tell me which are?

Mate, you can buy them on iTunes, Amazon, EA Trax etc. etc. If you want CDs then eBay is your best bet. They are a bitch to find though, I've only got Underground on CD. slant

Speaking of which, what scores are on CD? I've seen MOH for sale, I've got Underground and I've seen the covers for Frontline and Rising Sun. I might try and get a copy of Rising Sun off Chris, but I've NO idea where to find Frontline other than eBay. Don't even get me started on European Assault or Airborne. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: The Mask OF the Zorro (Horner)

One of the few Horner scores I can listen without thinking about Horner's personality.

Leave No witnesses is terrific!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: The Mask OF the Zorro (Horner)

One of the few Horner scores I can listen without thinking about Horner's personality.

Leave No witnesses is terrific!

Heh yeah. I'm not fond of Horner's usual sound. Luckily, it's missing 95% of the time here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Humanoids From The Deep - Christopher Lennertz

This is the 1996 remake of Humanoids. Lennertz does a minor tip of the hat to Horner's original by the use of horns in an echoplex. Really there is nothing more except for low strings and piano. It's a very early effort for lennertz much like the original Humanoids was for Horner. Both hardly mindblowing efforts.

I've been on a Lennertz kick over the last few days since hearing Warhawk (a great but relentlessly busy action score) and Gun (a fine western game score.)
    I'll soon be pulling out his MOH scores too!