• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008 edited
    Une Hirondelle a Fait le Printemps | Philippe Rombi

First listen.

No idea what the movie's about, no idea what the title means... no idea how to pronounce the darn thing. But the music is starting off very good! (To this Rombi virgin.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Btw Matt, Chris Lennertz seems to be the generous type. If you're after all the MOH scores on CD, just send him a mail asking if he can send you a copy of Rising Sun (no idea if Pacific Assault or European Assault were ever ''released'' on CD though). I got a promo of From Russia With Love from him. One wicked guy! wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Une Hirondelle a Fait le Printemps | Philippe Rombi

First listen.

No idea what the movie's about, no idea what the title means... no idea how to pronounce the darn thing. But the music is starting off very good! (To this Rombi virgin.)

it;rules! all of the Rombi's......you know which ones wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008
    NP: Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers - The Complete Recordings by Howard Shore

Ah, the glory of the grand choir in track 1, Glamdring!! shocked moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - Pirates of the Caribbean unreleased suites

fun fun fun punk

only piece i can't stand is "Jack's Theme Bare Bones Demo"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Jumper - John Powell - The distribution of this has been horrible, and my CD has only just come. My opinion of it still stands (''meh''), but at least I can be rid of my iTunes copy.
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    NP: The Brothers Grimm - Dario Marianelli punk

This is my only score composed by Mr. Marianelli. I haven't listened to it in a while and it was as great as I remembered it to be. The music is very dark and original. Almost every track on the album has something new and different to offer (The Forest Comes To Life is my favourite track). I don't understand why there are so many people who don't like this score. I personally think that this is the best score of 2005 (Arsène Lupin and Star Wars: Episode III are also brilliant).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    No, it isn't. The finest score(s) ever composed by Williams is Superman: The Movie and Star Wars. Both are infectious, excellent throughout and deserve the immense praise heaped upon them.

Aside from the March, love theme, the marketplace sequence and the action cues in Raiders, the rest of the score just doesn't click for me (particularly the scene where Indy discovers the location of the Ark and whenever the Nazis arrive). It's all well-composed, but I just can't seem to love it. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I just can't seem to love it like the majority does.

Much like you and *cough*TheGoldenCompass*cough*

The Map Room? You're talking about THE MAP ROOM? shocked

Matt, Matt, MATT!!!? c'mon man!

It's perfect scoring to film, it's perfect listening, it's perfect everything! You're nuts man! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOOK - John Williams

Not a great favourite of mine, it's very good but it's just that I rarely reach for this one when I want a Williams fix, still, I'm enjoying it smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Matt C wrote
    No, it isn't. The finest score(s) ever composed by Williams is Superman: The Movie and Star Wars. Both are infectious, excellent throughout and deserve the immense praise heaped upon them.

Aside from the March, love theme, the marketplace sequence and the action cues in Raiders, the rest of the score just doesn't click for me (particularly the scene where Indy discovers the location of the Ark and whenever the Nazis arrive). It's all well-composed, but I just can't seem to love it. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I just can't seem to love it like the majority does.

Much like you and *cough*TheGoldenCompass*cough*

The Map Room? You're talking about THE MAP ROOM? shocked

Matt, Matt, MATT!!!? c'mon man!

It's perfect scoring to film, it's perfect listening, it's perfect everything! You're nuts man! tongue

I still believe Marion's theme is the best out of all the Indy themes (yup, even better than the march!) shocked biggrin
  1. Timmer wrote

Not a great favourite of mine, it's very good but it's just that I rarely reach for this one when I want a Williams fix, still, I'm enjoying it smile

not a favorite? Its one of the very best he has written shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote

not a favorite? Its one of the very best he has written shocked

Just a matter of opinion eh Thomas? wink

I could easily give you twenty ( and more ) Williams scores I think are far better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    JuPe wrote
    NP: The Brothers Grimm - Dario Marianelli punk

This is my only score composed by Mr. Marianelli. I haven't listened to it in a while and it was as great as I remembered it to be. The music is very dark and original. Almost every track on the album has something new and different to offer (The Forest Comes To Life is my favourite track). I don't understand why there are so many people who don't like this score. I personally think that this is the best score of 2005 (Arsène Lupin and Star Wars: Episode III are also brilliant).

I like this score too, and I very much like Dario as a composer (even though I wasn't that impressed by Atonement). I think The Brothers Grimm, V For Vendetta and Beyond The Gates demonstrate his abilities well.

NP: Sideways - Rolfe Kent

A great chill-out, albeit inappropriately Summer-y, score.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

only piece i can't stand is "Jack's Theme Bare Bones Demo"

Why not?

Me either...I prefer listen Jack Sparrow from Dead Man's chest, Wich I consider the most addictive piece I ever heard. But I Skip bare bones demo always in the cd of suites

NP:Episode II: Atack of the Clones (Williams)

After the first 3 tracks I can't stand the whole score...BUt the 13 minutes action tracks deserve the price of this cd!

Why Marry me from POTC3 reminds me so much to Across the stars?

After I will play: Revenge of the Sith

Tracks like Padme's rumination makes this score one of the best from williams in the last 10 years.Not exactly a SW score, but almost an operistic and inventive score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    LSH wrote
    ... (even though I wasn't that impressed by Atonement).

NP: Elegy For Dunkirk from Atonement - Dario Marianelli

... except for this cue, it's beautiful!

cool
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: The Net from The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep - James Newton Howard

This track rivals any of the cues from King Kong, the beginning almost like "Tooth and Claw" in constructs and the latter half being reminscent of "Central Park". Beautiful.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Best of Motion Picture Scores, vol 2 by Shostakovich.

I've heard most of these pieces separately before, but together they're a great listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE OTHER - Jerry Goldsmith

Lovely though sinister Americana score. The film is an underrated mini-masterpiece that's truly horrific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NICK GLENNIE SMITH - the man in the iron mask

An old, dear favorite. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    King Kong - James Newton Howard

I still prefer the first half of this score to the second. It's just too loud for too long towards the end and there's no breathing room.
  2. 'The Miracle of the Ark'

My... quite - the - cue, this one. Powerful film music. The thematic reprise from 3:09-3:21 is one of those moments that stays in your memory.

Can't say I like the score more than THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK on my latest relisten, EMPIRE being my personal John Williams peak. However I do think some people underrate RAIDERS. There aren't a lot of scores with classics like 'The Map Room', 'The Basket Chase', 'Desert Chase', 'Marion's Theme', 'The Raiders March' and 'Miracle of the Ark' on the same CD.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:At world's End + suites

This is for Zimmer fans, what Empire Strikes Back or the Mummy returns are for another people.

Im so amazed everytime I listen it...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Yay, an update. Thank god you're keeping us posted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote

Lovely though sinister Americana score. The film is an underrated mini-masterpiece that's truly horrific.

I take it you mean Poltergeist 2: The Other Side.

Yes indeed. There's some great music here. I love the "heroic" Indian theme (very noble).

Goldsmith's two Poltergeist scores, although mostly very different from each other, are both wonderful horror scores. My favorite perhaps. Oh, and The Final Conflict ......... and Alien are right up there too.
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    NP: Secret Of The Sahara - Ennio Morricone

I ordered this CD from a Nordic webstore about two weeks ago and it arrived today. Very beautiful stuff. The music flows amazingly well and I especially love the quiet choral tracks. The seventh track, The Golden Door is one of the weirdest tracks I have ever heard. The Amii Stewart song in the end is also excellent and it fits well to the musical style of the album.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Niki Reiser - Lieben Leben

Need to hear more than the 36 minutes on disc, need to hear more, more crazy
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    And got to have Reiser's Mein Führer - Die Wirklich Wahrste Wahrheit über Adolf Hitler. ASAP! slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote

I take it you mean Poltergeist 2: The Other Side.

Yes indeed. There's some great music here. I love the "heroic" Indian theme (very noble).

Goldsmith's two Poltergeist scores, although mostly very different from each other, are both wonderful horror scores. My favorite perhaps. Oh, and The Final Conflict ......... and Alien are right up there too.

Nope! It's THE OTHER, nothing to do with Poltergeist I or II, and it's paired with JG's The Mephisto Waltz on a Varese release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    However I do think some people underrate RAIDERS. There aren't a lot of scores with classics like 'The Map Room', 'The Basket Chase', 'Desert Chase', 'Marion's Theme', 'The Raiders March' and 'Miracle of the Ark' on the same CD.

I can't say that I agree with most of the things you postsay but with the above I'm with ya all the way!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited
    Atli Örvarsson - Vantage Point

Who do you get when you don't have enough money to hire Harry Gregson Williams? Well, Atli's RC latest acquisition and is apparently your man!

Same ol' synth strings Harry Gregson Williams uses, same ol' duduk Harry Gregson Williams uses same ol' synthetic choir Harry Gregson Williams uses, same ol' Heitor Pereira's mexican-flavored acoustic guitar Harry Gregson Williams uses, same ol' swooshing electronics Harry Gregson Williams uses, same pounding percussion Harry Gregson Williams uses, same piano Harry Gregson Williams uses and same ol' slow, string-driven and heavily dramatic Remote Control themes Harry Gregson Williams uses ("Epilogue" or "The President Is Safe" for instance); oh and did i mention the latest trend i.e. JOHN POWELL's Bourne-isms with the trademarked string ostinati a la "Tightening Circle"? And of course let's not forget the rapidly, constantly changing tempi, motif and rhythms a la Remote Control studios and you got your latest score on auto-pilot ready.

Apparently Harry Gregson Williams lovers will go crazy over this; alone.