• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008
    Atham wrote
    Christopher Lennertz kick is still going with me!

Been playing Warhawk, Gun, MOH: Rising Sun, Humanoids From The Deep and Saint Sinner.

All a good listen. Especially Gun and Warhawk.

I've not yet heard his music for Supernatural. That'll be next.

And don´t miss "From Russia with Love", great action score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008 edited
    Atham, you need to hear From Russia With Love. wink

Edit: Marselus beat me to the post! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Erik Woods wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Annnd?

Is it a french horn? confused

Seriously I wouldn't know, sounds brassy though. smile

I haven't listened to the theme is quiet some time...

Hm, I can imagine it is quiet for some time then! tongue wink
    (hehe, sorry, I just thought those were funny typo's!)

but I think you are hearing low trombones, tuba and trumpets.

-Erik-

Thanks!
    You know that by just thinking of the music? That's impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    But on the other hand, let's be honest, scores were FARRRRRRRRR better than they are now!

See, I don't think they were.
    It's just that we've been presented with a truly excellent synopsis of the full score, far more often than not even represented in a suite/symphonic fashion that 'made more sense' to the ear.

Case in point: Miklos Rozsa's absolutely groundbreaking and epic Ben Hur is still best represented by the Decca 48 minute re-recording, even though there's some truly excellent 'full score' presentations out there. And while I'm glad I have them, for several reasons, I actually very seldom listen to them. The repetition and length simply wears me out.

So I remain most happy with my shorter CDs. 45 - 50 minutes is just long enough to keep my attention, AND make an excellent representation of most any score in the business, leaving out the lesser, or least interesting bits. Yes, I know the argument is that with those 480 minutes 6-CD representations you can edit out what you don't like, but I'm a consumer, not a producer.
    I don't filet my own chicken, I *buy* the choice parts for proper cooking.
    I don't select my own grapes, I *buy* a proper wine for immediate consumption.
    I don't edit my own music, I *buy* the best possible representation for uninterrupted listening pleasure.

I *could*, but I don't *want* to.

Which only goes to show, really, in the end that Erik's
    Can't please anyone around here.
    is not entirely correct: it's simply that you can't please everyone.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And you're point being?

wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008 edited
    I think The Mummy Returns is a great example of that. The soundtrack release is fine, but I don't think anyone (I've only done it once and it was bloody difficult) can happily listen to the complete - 2 and a half hours of loud orchestra. explode
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS - Don Davis + various

Most excellent! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    And you're point being?

wink

Well, my point was that I don't think scores were actually better.
    It's just that we've been presented with a truly excellent synopsis of the full score, far more often than not even represented in a suite/symphonic fashion that 'made more sense' to the ear.

Case in point: Miklos Rozsa's absolutely groundbreaking and epic Ben Hur is still best represented by the Decca 48 minute re-recording, even though there's some truly excellent 'full score' presentations out there. And while I'm glad I have them, for several reasons, I actually very seldom listen to them. The repetition and length simply wears me out.

So I remain most happy with my shorter CDs. 45 - 50 minutes is just long enough to keep my attention, AND make an excellent representation of most any score in the business, leaving out the lesser, or least interesting bits. Yes, I know the argument is that with those 480 minutes 6-CD representations you can edit out what you don't like, but I'm a consumer, not a producer.
    I don't filet my own chicken, I *buy* the choice parts for proper cooking.
    I don't select my own grapes, I *buy* a proper wine for immediate consumption.
    I don't edit my own music, I *buy* the best possible representation for uninterrupted listening pleasure.

I *could*, but I don't *want* to.

Which only goes to show, really, in the end that Erik's
    Can't please anyone around here.

is not entirely correct: it's simply that you can't please everyone.

So apologies.
    I should have made my point more clear the first time. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. NP: Chicken Run - Harry Gregson Williams and John Powell

Just coming up to Building the Crate, and I had to share my joy with someone!!

I LOVE this score
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Welcome to the chicken coop, Tim!

punk
    : kazoo :
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I think The Mummy Returns is a great example of that. The soundtrack release is fine, but I don't think anyone (I've only done it once and it was bloody difficult) can happily listen to the complete - 2 and a half hours of loud orchestra. explode

I can... and have!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Martijn wrote

Should have a smiley

Onto the The chickens are revolting

which is of course not just an excellent cue but a good play on words!
    If in doubt, let the wookie win
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tim (not timmer) wrote
    Martijn wrote

Should have a smiley

Onto the The chickens are revolting

which is of course not just an excellent cue but a good play on words!

Escape To Paradise is still the highlight action cue though! wink cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LES MISERABLES - Basil Poledouris

Such great music! cool I so miss this composer sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008
    NP: White Squall - Jeff Rona

cool This is really quite beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Anthony wrote
    Atham, you need to hear From Russia With Love. wink

Edit: Marselus beat me to the post! tongue

OK. Will do. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JuPe wrote

NP: Veronica Guerin - Harry Gregson-Williams

My second favourite score by Mr. Gregson-Williams (Sinbad is my favourite). I love the Irish music so I like the tracks Driving and Conversations a lot. Bad News is also a truly amazing track (1:29-2:55 kiss ) and I also like the Funeral song sung by Sinéad O'Connor.

I agree, i also love that score! http://musiconfilm.net/get_review.php?id=177
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP From Russia with Love (Christopher Lennertz)
    Somebody hire this guy for a BIG action movie please. I can´t understand why he is still doing B projects when he could be in the big ones.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote

Eh? confused
    Did I miss something?
    Was there a remake?

NP: The Alamo - Dimitri Tiomkin
    Wow. Full-blooded rough 'n'tumble scoring with a huge sense of passionate romanticism thrown in there. It's such a fine score, with such beautiful themes (De Guello, Green Leaves Of Summer and The Legend Of The Alamo theme are all top-notch) that I don't even mind the patches of dialogue peppering the score (luckily they are few).

It's still amazing to me that it took a Russian exile to define the sound of the West for three decades (only to have a Italian, who doesn't speak a word of English, define it for the decades following. smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Cars by Randy Newman

I love how he used the electric guitars so well that they blend in with the score perfectly (IMHO) punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote

Eh? confused
    Did I miss something?
    Was there a remake?

Video game score. smile

NP: Spy Game - Harry Gregson-Williams

My favourite HGW score - it has everything!

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

Not sure why I torture myself like this but I'm going to give this score one more shot. This is my fourth playing of the score and I'm going to do my best to find that magical spark that has some people thinking that this is the cat's meow!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. NP: The Legend of Butch & Sundance - Basil Poledouris

For me this is confirmation that Poledouris delivered right up until the end. Some lovely "folksy" touches but this score shines when the composer dials up the drama with the more rhythmic cues.

Well done, Basil and well done Mikael for being able to issue this poignant score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Legend of Butch & Sundance - Basil Poledouris

For me this is confirmation that Poledouris delivered right up until the end. Some lovely "folksy" touches but this score shines when the composer dials up the drama with the more rhythmic cues.

Well done, Basil and well done Mikael for being able to issue this poignant score.

I ordered this one last week and am eagerly looking forward to it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KING RAT - John Barry

Great score with a low key poignant main theme cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

One of my very favourite Barry scores with a theme to die for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

punk

Very well said smile

n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - L'ennemi intime

Pure class, delicate beauty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote

punk

Everything? Melody? Creativity?

Anyway, now playing a score which is absolutely the opposite of Spy Game..

The Other Boleyn Girl - Paul Cantelon. Real quality here. Gorgeous.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

Not sure why I torture myself like this but I'm going to give this score one more shot. This is my fourth playing of the score and I'm going to do my best to find that magical spark that has some people thinking that this is the cat's meow!

-Erik-

Don't worry, I can't hear it either. The theme from Sky Ferry is great, but apart from that it just sounds like a standard adventure score. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    Yeap, can't hear it either.