• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    It's a shame Giacchino doesn't use a choir more often. He hasn't used it any of his film scores if I recall correctly.

True... but he uses it A LOT in his game scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    ^ The new Star Trek movie is his chance to compose his first big FILM score (and to use more choir). I´m really looking forward to it.

And 110 players on M:I3 wasn't BIG enough for ya? wink

-Erik-

Yes, but it was veeeery far from his videogames achievements. MI3 was ok, but nothing memorable. In the other hand, all he has done for videogames is memorable. Star Trek is THE chance to make a memorable film score.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    ^ The new Star Trek movie is his chance to compose his first big FILM score (and to use more choir). I´m really looking forward to it.

-Erik-

Yes, but it was veeeery far from his videogames achievements. MI3 was ok, but nothing memorable. In the other hand, all he has done for videogames is memorable. Star Trek is THE chance to make a memorable film score.

I think M:I 3 is quite memorable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

Come on, try to be a bit objective wink
    MI:3 was above the average, and a good action score. But nothing even close to any of his videogames scores. So,

NP Medal of Honor - Frontline (M. Giacchino)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Not if Dan Wallin is mixing! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote

MI:3 was above the average, and a good action score. But nothing even close to any of his videogames scores. So,

NP Medal of Honor - Frontline (M. Giacchino)

M:I:III above average? Man are you high? wink The score absolutely ruled and believe me, film music of today would be at a much higher rate had more and more composers had the knowledge and balls to write like that!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    ^ Yeah I agree, I didn´t say I don´t like it, or that is a standard action score. My point is that is not memorable as all his videogames stuff (which are all brilliant and perfect). His first major FILM score is gonna be Star Trek.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

I am being objective.

Let's begin with the awesome suspense cue "Factory Rescue" There is a great motif in there that is quite memorable and the underlining orchestrations adds to the tension of that scene. Michael then jump kicks that motif in the following track"Evacuation." Some wicked music there.

The fan favorite section of the score is the Vatican sequences which channel Schifin's sensibilities with Giacchino own voice. It's the best scored sequence of the film and without it the scene probably wouldn't have works so well. ""Humpty Dumpty Sat On A Wall" is near perfect scoring!

I don't know about you but the rapid fire french horns and trumpets in "Bride Battle" is incredibly exciting and is one of Giacchino finest action cues.

We also get a new IMF theme the weaves itself throughout the score. Quite memoriable.

And the Creme de la Creme cue is "Hunting For Jules" The latter half contains an AWESOME motif as Ethan searches the streets for his girlfriend. The one and only moment in the film where the score was allowed to breath and I couldn't have picked a better cue to show case the power of Giacchino score. How can you NOT get pumped up by this piece or the score as a whole. Sure, this isn't a MOHesque score but them again this isn't a film that would suit a score of that sort.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    His first major FILM score is gonna be Star Trek.

Actually, his first major film score was THE INCREDIBLES.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hunting For Jules is the most badass Giacchino piece there is in my opinion. I can't get enough of this. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

I am being objective.

Let's begin with the awesome suspense cue "Factory Rescue" There is a great motif in there that is quite memorable and the underlining orchestrations adds to the tension of that scene. Michael then jump kicks that motif in the following track"Evacuation." Some wicked music there.

The fan favorite section of the score is the Vatican sequences which channel Schifin's sensibilities with Giacchino own voice. It's the best scored sequence of the film and without it the scene probably wouldn't have works so well. ""Humpty Dumpty Sat On A Wall" is near perfect scoring!

I don't know about you but the rapid fire french horns and trumpets in "Bride Battle" is incredibly exciting and is one of Giacchino finest action cues.

We also get a new IMF theme the weaves itself throughout the score. Quite memoriable.

And the Creme de la Creme cue is "Hunting For Jules" The latter half contains an AWESOME motif as Ethan searches the streets for his girlfriend. The one and only moment in the film where the score was allowed to breath and I couldn't have picked a better cue to show case the power of Giacchino score. How can you NOT get pumped up by this piece or the score as a whole. Sure, this isn't a MOHesque score but them again this isn't a film that would suit a score of that sort.

-Erik-

^ I agree completely with your post. The fact that I don´t consider it memorable doesn´t mean I don´t like it or that I don´t enjoy the cues you mention (and many more, such as the Lost-esque duo "World's Worst Last 4 Minutes To Live" - "Reparations"). It was probably one of the best scores of 2006. It´s simply that I doubt that it was a film music getaway for anybody (as I´m sure have been his videogames scores or his "Lost" music).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Some of the music in MI3 is just too raw. ''Bridge Battle'' I find to be a tough listen. I've grown to appreciate more aggressive music (I didn't originally like ''Evacuation''), but clasing brass notes, repeatedly = explode

(Edit: The smilie didn't work!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Some of the music in MI3 is just too raw. ''Bridge Battle'' I find to be a tough listen. I've grown to appreciate more aggressive music (I didn't originally like ''Evacuation''), but clasing brass notes, repeatedly = explode

Thanks! kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    ^ I agree completely with your post. The fact that I don´t consider it memorable doesn´t mean I don´t like it or that I don´t enjoy the cues you mention (and many more, such as the Lost-esque duo "World's Worst Last 4 Minutes To Live" - "Reparations"). It was probably one of the best scores of 2006. It´s simply that I doubt that it was a film music getaway for anybody (as I´m sure have been his videogames scores or his "Lost" music).

Just so you know that I'm being objective I don't think that M:I3 is the best thing Michael has ever written. Actually, I don't even think it's the best M:I film score. That award goes to Elfman.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No.F.Way
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    My best to worst would probably go Silvestri's rejected, Elfman's, Giacchino's and Zimmer's. Sorry, but Elfman's just nails the ''heist'' sort of nature of the movie. Giacchino's fits the accompanying movie fine, but don't you hear the genericness of a Beltrami action score in it?

*prepares to get flamed big time*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    My best to worst would probably go Silvestri's rejected, Elfman's, Giacchino's and Zimmer's. Sorry, but Elfman's just nails the ''heist'' sort of nature of the movie. Giacchino's fits the accompanying movie fine, but don't you hear the genericness of a Beltrami action score in it?

*prepares to get flamed big time*

Mate, if you can, just go now, turn the volume WAY up and play THESE ONLY, in this order:

Hunting For Jules
    Evacuation
    Helluvacopter Chase
    Bridge Battle
    IMF Escape
    The Chutist
    World's Worst Last 4 Minutes To Live
    Reparations

If you still think that it carries a genericness of the Beltami sound or anyone else, then i rest my case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    No.F.Way

Yes.F.Way!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote

I think I'll scream if I hear any more 'big choirs' in films where it's not needed and is just a cover up for an inability to write good music.

I'm sure if Star Trek The Motion Picture were made now that the composer would drown it in ominous heavenly choirs!? rolleyes

I have a lot of faith in Giacchino though, and his score to the next Trek is very highly anticipated by me. If choir is "right" for the film then it'll be there.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No.F.Way

Yes.F.Way!

-Erik-

No.F.Way 'cause Elfman's possible superiority on the said matter in some people's minds is because it was the first of those m:i movie scores; other than that, it's overall sound and energy are nowhere even near what Michael Giacchino wrote for the third movie; some parts of the Elfman score are performed so underwhelming that sound almost dead; not to mention the sheer energy and unstoppable force that's spread throughout the M:I:III score or the level of arrangements in the latter which are miles away from the Elfman's original. I don't think in order to be objective, you have to acknowledge Elfman's score as the best of the three; who says that? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You really don't like Elfman do you? I don't understand it myself. His score to Mission Impossible is great, regardless of whether or not it's the first one.

As I've said before, it doesn't make the best album (probably the weakest of all three), but I do think it's the best score. (With Giacchino's following very closely.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If we can't agree on whether Danny's or Michael's score is the best, can we at least all agree that Zimmer's (and co) is the worst? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    You really don't like Elfman do you? I don't understand it myself. His score to Mission Impossible is great, regardless of whether or not it's the first one.

As I've said before, it doesn't make the best album (probably the weakest of all three), but I do think it's the best score. (With Giacchino's following very closely.)

The films are crap anyway!

MI II being the very worst.

Melanie and I couldn't stop laughing at Zimmer's score sio at least there was some fun to be had. biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    If we can't agree on whether Danny's or Michael's score is the best, can we at least all agree that Zimmer's (and co) is the worst? biggrin

ABSOLUTERLY! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Elfman's not my highest point for sure but he did write stuff i really love, like RED DRAGON, CORPSE BRIDE, Charlotte's Web, hulk, Sleepy hollow and the Batman / Spiderman scores (as well as loads of unlistenable stuff but that's not our point here). Mission Impossible is just weak imo and i won't say it's the best of the three just because it came first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No.F.Way

Yes.F.Way!

-Erik-

No.F.Way 'cause Elfman's possible superiority on the said matter in some people's minds is because it was the first of those m:i movie scores; other than that, it's overall sound and energy are nowhere even near what Michael Giacchino wrote for the third movie; some parts of the Elfman score are performed so underwhelming that sound almost dead; not to mention the sheer energy and unstoppable force that's spread throughout the M:I:III score or the level of arrangements in the latter which are miles away from the Elfman's original. I don't think in order to be objective, you have to acknowledge Elfman's score as the best of the three; who says that? wink

You really have to let go of this Elfman hate you have because it's blinding you from hearing a damn fine score by Elfman. And M:I and M:I3 are two TOTALLY different films. Elfman's score didn't need that HIGH energy because the film wasn't the action packed film the third one was. Depalma's film stayed true to the TV series feel with only a few moments of action... and how can you begin to tell me that Zoom A and B aren't incredible action cues... two of the most impressive cues of Elfman's career, and IMHO, the best use of Schifrin's theme in all three scores.

Elfman's arrangements and orchestrations are just fine. The musical colours in Elfman's score are quite impressive perfectly combining Elfman's quirkiness and patented orchestrations with Schifrin's already established sound from the TV series. And I absolutely love Elfman's anti-love theme. And IMHO, Elfman's use of The Plot is masterful... especially during the tension filled "Red Handed" and "Mole Hunt."

Christodoulides wrote
    Mission Impossible is just weak imo and i won't say it's the best of the three just because it came first.

Who has said this? That's an absolutely weak accusation!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...i won't say it's the best of the three just because it came first.

Neither will I. I just believe it's the best because it is the best, not because ''it came first''. wink smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Elfman's not my highest point for sure but he did write stuff i really love, like RED DRAGON, CORPSE BRIDE, Charlotte's Web, hulk, Sleepy hollow and the Batman / Spiderman scores (as well as loads of unlistenable stuff but that's not our point here). Mission Impossible is just weak imo and i won't say it's the best of the three just because it came first.

But D, I don't think people are saying it's the best of the three just because it came first, that's an unfair thing to say about other people's taste, it's said because it is their favourite!

I don't like Elfman's MI : I score at all but to each their own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

The films are crap anyway!

I don't agree with that. Ok, Woo's film blows. We all agree with that... but I really like Depalma's version... confusing as it is... there are some absolutely awesome moments especially the CIA Break-In and the utterly ridiculous but highly enjoyable train sequence.

As for M:I3... well, it definitely doesn't FEEL like a Mission: Impossible film (except for the Vatican sequence) but what a ride it is featuring some great action sequences.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Mission: Impossible - Danny Elfman

wink

I love it!

-Erik-