• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Timmer wrote
    Don't you mean "for those that DON'T own this album... shame on you!" Erik?

Thanks... i had to copy and paste the post because the site timed out and I did have all of my fixes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Secret Weapons Over Normandy - Michael Giacchino

No comment really. It's brilliant, it's one of Giacchino's top 3 scores, it has an ultra kick ass bad guy motif (which I can play on the piano wink ) and contains a stunning performance by the Northwest Sinfonia!

A little later in the day I'll throw on LOST in preparation for season 4's premiere later tonight!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Secret Weapons Over Normandy - Michael Giacchino

No comment really. It's brilliant, it's one of Giacchino's top 3 scores, it has an ultra kick ass bad guy motif (which I can play on the piano wink ) and contains a stunning performance by the Northwest Sinfonia!
    -Erik-

I couldn´t agree more. Secret Weapons is BRILLIANT, and the second score by Giacchinio that I listened, after Medal of Honor. I couldn´t decide which one I like the most, but if my life depended on it, I think I´d choose Secret Weapons....or Medal of Honor, don´t really know tongue

NP Doctor Who - Series 3 (Murray Gold)
    I continue with my almost obsessive listening of Gold´s amazing work.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Gonna pull a Jordi!

PEENAMUNDE BAAAAAAAAAABY!!!!

IMHO, one of Giacchino's greatest cues of all time!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Gonna pull a Jordi!

PEENAMUNDE BAAAAAAAAAABY!!!!

IMHO, one of Giacchino's greatest cues of all time!

-Erik-

Followed very close by the stunning finale that is "The Normandy Coast".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Those last four tracks are one helluva finale. When Thor talks about sequencing of albums SWON is a prime candidate on how to do it right! Giacchino saved the best for last! And these tracks still give me the same joy, goosebumps and giddiness I experience hearing this stuff recorded live. Steve Smith's recording is stunning!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008 edited
    NP: MEET THE SPARTANS - Christopher Lennertz

Sure, it's probably not just the worst movie of the year, it's also an utter disgrace that this pile of shite tries to be mistaken as a movie by sneaking into the cinema, the place where they eat popcorn and other movie related stuff, and letting people pay to buy a ticket. Being selled as a comedy, even. But... should I burn in hell for... liking this? It's almost like a better version of 300... Are my tastes completely screwed up? Do I not know what's good anymore and what's not? I'd better lie down...

EDIT: Ah, wait, apparantly, Christopher is loved by some folks over here! Right... that might explain it... Listening to more of it, it's just fun, not brilliant or anything. The Greek translations are a masterpiece, though, brilliant! What mastermind did that?! (hihi)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: George and the Dragon - Gast Waltzing

I love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    NP: MEET THE SPARTANS - Christopher Lennertz

The Greek translations are a masterpiece, though, brilliant! What mastermind did that?! (hihi)

angelic
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw Bob, is that a CD you have there or in electronic form?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Under Fire | Jerry Goldsmith

My. Favourite. Goldsmith. Score. EVER.

Haven't played this one for a while, and it's bloody great to listen to it now. Particularly having just come back from the bar with shit music being played all the time.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    Southall wrote
    NP: George and the Dragon - Gast Waltzing

I love this.

I do too, a real treat, a gem of a score and possibly the best thing I've heard from Moviescore Media so far other than Jeff Grace's fine work on The Last Winter.

Fur - Carter Burwell
    This is such a great score and the opening track brilliantly establishes the themes/motifs around which Burwell builds and expands the rest of this richly textural work. It has his unique imprint all over every cue.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Under Fire | Jerry Goldsmith

My. Favourite. Goldsmith. Score. EVER.

Haven't played this one for a while, and it's bloody great to listen to it now. Particularly having just come back from the bar with shit music being played all the time.

Have you seen the film Steven?

A good film IMO, the score is very different in the movie. I'd like to see this released ala Damien Omen II where you get the original film score and the studio album.

Without doubt one of Goldsmith's greatest ( amongst so many ) scores!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. UNDER FIRE is my second-favourite Goldsmith score, and one of the best films he ever scored. punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DON DAVIS - the invasion

Trying hard to understand why some people hold this in high regard, although failing miserably so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DON DAVIS / JOHN WILLIAMS - Jurassic park III

Apart the gorgeous Williams theme(s), the rest of the score is completely generic and tiring to my ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    DON DAVIS / JOHN WILLIAMS - Jurassic park III

Apart the gorgeous Williams theme(s), the rest of the score is completely generic and tiring to my ears.

And don't you just hate how the main theme, when they approach the island, just keeps 'hanging' (don't know the appropriate english term shame ) a few times more? (Davis apparantly said it otherwise wouldn't 'fit' in the timezone of the scene... yeah right). And the completely inappropriate usage of that theme? I thought it was a horrible score slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Btw Bob, is that a CD you have there or in electronic form?

Digital shame It's a 31 min., 24 track promo of the score. I don't know if it will be released, or not. Probably not, given the status of the film wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Contains the booklet scans as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008 edited
    Haha, I see what you're getting at, but no, I'm sorry, it doesn't wink Promo's rarely come with booklets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heh. I'll ask them from the source wink wave kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    played last night: ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM - Brian Tyler

Oh, it starts out fun as hell, definitely. It certainly remains a lot of Brian Tyler's voice, which is great (although sometimes TimeLine is a little too obvious), with a lot of elements from Horner, Goldsmith, Goldenthal and even Frizzel and it's fun to spot them! Hearing that 2-note motive from Alien halfway through was great!

So it starts out as an awesome attack at your senses and an hommage to the Alien music all in one (probably Predator as well, but I don't really know that score...), but in the last 20 minutes or so, you've heard it all. There's one track that took a different route all at once, with electric guitar and a modern sound, and I thought it would be the epilogue, or something, but the orchestral score just kept on going and going afterwards, without really adding new elements.

I'd say it's cursed by the extemely long running time, but as a score written for the film, it's a lot of fun!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Transformers - Jablonsky

The big, blundering, but incredibly enjoyable score from last Summer. It is without a doubt media ventures, but there's something about it that just makes you switch of and not care. I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    People can call me nuts, but I think there is enough original stuff in Transformers to keep my attention from beginning to end each time. It's not only 'more of the same'.
    Yes that's right, I used the word original, mwuahahaha...
    tongue

After giving BhelPuri's game another try, I am now listening to the gorgeous House of Flying Daggers. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Mechanic - Jerry Fielding

The most complex film score released in 2007, it offers a lot to the listener willing to take the time to explore it. Such a pity that Fielding was taken away so young - he was one of the great ones.
  2. THE MECHANIC is one of the most compelling arguments for atonal scoring that I've heard. More films deserve such intellectual rigor.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:King Arthur

After so many Powells (who has the good things of ZImmer but without his fauls) , and POTC3...This score seems terribly simple and synthetic. Anyway It still has this pure Zimmer power.

"Woads to ruin" and the last minutes of "all of them" are some of my favourite Zimmer moments.
  3. I thought it's terribly simple and synthetic before PotC 3 appeared... That's exactly what the score is. I'd add banal and uninspired too. ANd that's being said by an avid Zimmer fan.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Synthetic? rolleyes
    Doesen´t seem to me. I don´t hear any synth in "On the Road" for example. WITH synths? Yes; SYNTHETIC? Hell no.

But Zimmer has the virtue of, SOMETIMES, making a 100 piece orchestra sound like a bunch of synth elements. Not the case in most of King Arthur IMO.
    I´m a die hard fan of King Arthur and Pearl Harbor by the way. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Wrong Turn 2 - Bear McCreary

A very effective score by McCreary.
    This young guy is very good!
    I'm very keen to hear what he comes up with over the next few years.