• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Mission: Impossible - Danny Elfman

wink

I love it!

-Erik-

Oooh you old subordinate you! biggrin cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I know I'm going to listen to MI3 when I get in. The original MI feels like a ''rainy day'' score. Today it's a clear blue sky, so Giacchino wins! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2008 edited
    In terms of scores:

Star Wars / Empire / Jedi
    Phantom Menace / Attack of the Clones / Revenge of the Sith
    Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3
    Back To The Future / Pt. 2 / Pt. 3
    Raiders / Doom / Crusade
    Jurassic Park / The Lost World / JP3
    Alien / Aliens / Alien3 / Alien Resurrection
    The Mummy / The Mummy Returns
    Black Pearl / Dead Man's Chest / At World's End
    First Blood / Rambo II / Rambo III
    Bourne Identity / Supremacy / Ultimatum
    Harry Potter / Chamber of Secrets / Prisoner of Azkaban / Goblet of Fire / Order of the Phoenix
    Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / Return of the King

...a weak theory indeed. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If only scores got better as they progressed. I still don't understand how people believe Ultimatum is better than Supremacy. It bottles the mind, but it's their opinion. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    If only scores got better as they progressed. I still don't understand how people believe Ultimatum is better than Supremacy. It bottles the mind, but it's their opinion. smile

The original album edit gives a poor representation of the score. Take a couple of cues away and shuffle it about a bit an it's the first album I go for if I'm in a Bourne mood.

And yes, it is our opinion. Thanks for that. wink

...I should also add it's not a case of believing one is better than the other, that's a dodgy assumption. I simply prefer it over the other scores, whichever set of sequels that may be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

Indeed. Supremacy is by far the most superior of the 3.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And oh my God at my appalling spelling. biggrin But I am juggling with annoying customers on the phone, so don't blame me! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    ^ I agree completely with your post. The fact that I don´t consider it memorable doesn´t mean I don´t like it or that I don´t enjoy the cues you mention (and many more, such as the Lost-esque duo "World's Worst Last 4 Minutes To Live" - "Reparations"). It was probably one of the best scores of 2006. It´s simply that I doubt that it was a film music getaway for anybody (as I´m sure have been his videogames scores or his "Lost" music).

Just so you know that I'm being objective I don't think that M:I3 is the best thing Michael has ever written. Actually, I don't even think it's the best M:I film score. That award goes to Elfman.

-Erik-

Wow, you can say I contradict myself but I do think it´s the best M:I film score. I never liked Elfman´s (boring) and Zimmer´s (boring / out of place everywhere). Not Giacchino´s best score (at all), but a fine action score.
    Oh, and I never doubted you were being objective, just are my two cents about it wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Agree, but AS HEARD ON CD (the score in the film is basically a recycled mix of the former scores). Ultimatum is the natural evolution of the Bourne sound, with (almost) all the themes from the previous scores and the mix of real orchestra and electronics that he has developed since Bourne 1.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Agree, but AS HEARD ON CD (the score in the film is basically a recycled mix of the former scores). Ultimatum is the natural evolution of the Bourne sound, with (almost) all the themes from the previous scores and the mix of real orchestra and electronics that he has developed since Bourne 1.

I personally thought it felt like a step backward. The film had way too much temping going on, and most of the "new" material was just re-orchestrated trash. At least going from Identity to Supremacy we got a hell of a lot of new themes and orchestrations introduced (the Goa theme, and more specifically the Goa chase theme which became an action highlight in the sequels). Ultimatum didn't really do anything new. It seemed like "well we'll switch that bassoon with some violins and make it dramatic...yeah, that'll work."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

YEP! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

YEP! punk

YEP!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    In terms of scores:

Star Wars / Empire / Jedi
    Phantom Menace / Attack of the Clones / Revenge of the Sith
    Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3
    Back To The Future / Pt. 2 / Pt. 3
    Raiders / Doom / Crusade
    Jurassic Park / The Lost World / JP3
    Alien / Aliens / Alien3 / Alien Resurrection
    The Mummy / The Mummy Returns
    Black Pearl / Dead Man's Chest / At World's End
    First Blood / Rambo II / Rambo III
    Harry Potter / Chamber of Secrets / Prisoner of Azkaban / Goblet of Fire / Order of the Phoenix
    Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers / Return of the King

...a weak theory indeed. wink

Hmmmmm? I find myself agreeing with a lot of those, in fact apart from the Elfman & Zimmer scores that don't mean much to me I'd only change two for my own personal gratification and that's...

Pt.1 / Pt.2 / Back To The Future Pt.3

Though this is just being picky because all six parts are good.

Anymore?

Predator / Predator 2

Robocop / Robocop 2 / Robocop 3

Superman / Superman blah / blah / blah / and Returns blah

X-Men / X-Men II / X-Men III

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

I personally thought it felt like a step backward. The film had way too much temping going on, and most of the "new" material was just re-orchestrated trash. At least going from Identity to Supremacy we got a hell of a lot of new themes and orchestrations introduced (the Goa theme, and more specifically the Goa chase theme which became an action highlight in the sequels). Ultimatum didn't really do anything new. It seemed like "well we'll switch that bassoon with some violins and make it dramatic...yeah, that'll work."

A step backward?! Hell no! crazy
    Of course the film had too much temping, and the score IN the film was, as you say, reorchestrated material (I wouldn´t say trash) from the previous two.
    But as heard ON cd, with all the new music (or new arrangements) that Powell wrote for the third part (which for some reason the director didn´t use) the experience is quite improving.
    Some examples:
    -The epic version of one of the main themes heard in "Six Weeks Ago".
    -"Tangiers": ok, reusing some former material, but adding enough elements to make it sound almost as new.
    -"Thinking of Marie": a 4 minute version of "GOA", developing Marie´s theme.
    -"Waterloo": again reusing stuff from parts 1 and 2, but what a way of reusing music!
    -"Jason is Reborn": what a way to end a trilogy, resuming most of the tunes of the three films.
    -The End Credits version of "To the Roof" (sadly not on the cd).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Unfortunatly I view those in a completly different light. tongue

- The ''epic'' version of the theme = annoying as hell. crazy
    - ''Tangiers'' is just ''Berlin Footchase'' with some different percussion (it's been switched in the movie with "Berlin Footchase'' too!) shocked
    - Thinking of Marie...probably the emotional highlight of the album, still nothing mindblowing though. slant
    - Waterloo = Gathering Data + Moscow Wind Up = Original/Good re-use? I hardly think so. sad
    - Jason Is Reborn - Worst. Bourne. Cue. Ever. Dramatic strings for the suck! angry
    - The ''To The Roof Remix'' - something I actually enjoyed from the score. cheesy Shame it wasn't released.

Sorry I disagree with everything. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Unfortunatly I view those in a completly different light. tongue

- The ''epic'' version of the theme = annoying as hell. crazy
    - ''Tangiers'' is just ''Berlin Footchase'' with some different percussion (it's been switched in the movie with "Berlin Footchase'' too!) shocked
    - Thinking of Marie...probably the emotional highlight of the album, still nothing mindblowing though. slant
    - Waterloo = Gathering Data + Moscow Wind Up = Original/Good re-use? I hardly think so. sad
    - Jason Is Reborn - Worst. Bourne. Cue. Ever. Dramatic strings for the suck! angry
    - The ''To The Roof Remix'' - something I actually enjoyed from the score. cheesy Shame it wasn't released.

Sorry I disagree with everything. tongue wink

LOL
    You disagree with everything! Not even "Thinking of Marie" or "Jason is Reborn" (worst Bourne cue ever?!! kill kill--> :Anthony falling down: cool )

At least we agree on Identity and Ultimatum tongue smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The third Bourne might not exactly be a step backward but surely it is way inferior compared to the mastery of the 2nd installment. Can't see what people are finding to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    ^ crazy ....some kill for you too then tongue

NP Lost - Season 2 (Michael Giacchino)
    After all the excitement today I can´t play anything else.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    ^ The new Star Trek movie is his chance to compose his first big FILM score (and to use more choir). I´m really looking forward to it.

And 110 players on M:I3 wasn't BIG enough for ya? wink

-Erik-

Too big for me! tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

I just can't get enough of Elegy For Dunkirk - it is one of the most inspirational cues I have heard in the past 12 months, it really touches the soul. I was left dumbfounded the first time I listened to it and it never gives up. It's place in the film and the lyrics of the hymn make it a most poignant experience and it will remain one of my favourite cues from 2007.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    LSH wrote

I just can't get enough of Elegy For Dunkirk - it is one of the most inspirational cues I have heard in the past 12 months, it really touches the soul. I was left dumbfounded the first time I listened to it and it never gives up. It's place in the film and the lyrics of the hymn make it a most poignant experience and it will remain one of my favourite cues from 2007.

cool

Indeed. All the score is an impressive achievement, but "Elegy for Dunkirk" is touching and pure beauty, both in the picture and outside of it.
  2. As it should be, because the devastation that war wreaks on young man is as beautiful as a cello solo. Lesser composers might have tried scoring the scene with something avante-garde that spoke more to the ugliness of war.

wink

NP: Regeneration (Danna)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

cool

Couldn't agree more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    ^ The new Star Trek movie is his chance to compose his first big FILM score (and to use more choir). I´m really looking forward to it.

-Erik-

Too big for me! tongue

Well, as far as i am concerned, there's not a "too" and a "big" together in the same sentence wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorpetersv
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2008
    LSH wrote

cool

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I really enjoy Marianelli's score outside of the film. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

NP: Murder in the First - Christopher Young

Romantic string writing is not something I would normally associate with Young, but there it is. There is some excellent material here, to be sure!
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Well, as far as i am concerned, there's not a "too" and a "big" together in the same sentence wink

This need not concern you then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Too big for me! tongue

The Incredibles was his first score and first big film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Too big for me! tongue

First score? First BIG film score yes... but first film score... NO!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Too big for me! tongue

??

Edit - Ah, you weren't replying to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Too big for me! tongue

First score? First BIG film score yes... but first film score... NO!

-Erik-

Ah. What was his first film score then?