• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Star Trek: First Contact - Jerry Goldsmith

For some reason this Goldsmith Star Trek score has been absent from my collection. Listening to it now for the first time it's a solid addition to his other Star Trek scores.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    And 110 players on M:I3 wasn't BIG enough for ya? wink

-Erik-

Too big for me! tongue

The Incredibles was his first score and first big film score.

??

Edit - Ah, you weren't replying to me!

Indeed I wasn't, but I am now. Weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Star Trek: First Contact - Jerry Goldsmith

For some reason this Goldsmith Star Trek score has been absent from my collection. Listening to it now for the first time it's a solid addition to his other Star Trek scores.

If Carlsberg did film scores...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It would be THE MOTION PICTURE....not First Contact! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, as far as i am concerned, there's not a "too" and a "big" together in the same sentence wink

This need not concern you then.

Ah the days when film scores weren't ALL 100 plus orchestras cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    petersv wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

I just can't get enough of Elegy For Dunkirk - it is one of the most inspirational cues I have heard in the past 12 months, it really touches the soul. I was left dumbfounded the first time I listened to it and it never gives up. It's place in the film and the lyrics of the hymn make it a most poignant experience and it will remain one of my favourite cues from 2007.

cool

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I really enjoy Marianelli's score outside of the film. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

NP: Murder in the First - Christopher Young

Romantic string writing is not something I would normally associate with Young, but there it is. There is some excellent material here, to be sure!

Indeed. It's one of his finest scores to date for sure and the last piece ("16. Redemption (4:08"), the choral is beyond words captivating!

Have you listened to SWEET NOVEMBER btW?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Ah. What was his first film score then?

All the Michael Giacchino film scores BEFORE The Incredibles.

2003. SIN
    2003. String of the Kite
    2003. Phenomenon II
    2002. Redeption of the Ghost
    2001. The Trouble with Lou
    2001. Semper Fi
    1999. My Brother the Pig
    1998. No Salida
    1997. Legal Deceit
    1995. Buffalo Soldiers

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How's SIN like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Quite right. First Contact (especially the full score) is still a damn fine score, the second score I ever listened to on CD (after Star Trek Generations).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Lost World: Jurassic Park - John Williams

What a rush!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpetersv
    Christodoulides wrote
    petersv wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: Atonement - Dario Marianelli

I just can't get enough of Elegy For Dunkirk - it is one of the most inspirational cues I have heard in the past 12 months, it really touches the soul. I was left dumbfounded the first time I listened to it and it never gives up. It's place in the film and the lyrics of the hymn make it a most poignant experience and it will remain one of my favourite cues from 2007.

cool

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I really enjoy Marianelli's score outside of the film. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

NP: Murder in the First - Christopher Young

Romantic string writing is not something I would normally associate with Young, but there it is. There is some excellent material here, to be sure!

Indeed. It's one of his finest scores to date for sure and the last piece ("16. Redemption (4:08"), the choral is beyond words captivating!

Have you listened to SWEET NOVEMBER btW?

No, unfortunatly I haven't. I can't recall hearing anything about it either. What is it like? Is it in a similiar vein?
  2. Indeed. I've come to like it more than the original score album. shame
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Indeed. I've come to like it more than the original score album. shame

They are two very different beasts aren't they?

-Erik-
  3. Indeed. Much as I like the themes of JURASSIC PARK, the main theme of THE LOST WORLD pretty much guarantees that the action sequences have a bit more 'rumble in the jungle' feel to them, if that makes any sense.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    How's SIN like?

Drum loops!

You used to be able to download some of the tracks from it on Michael's site. I don't think they are there any more though. It wasn't a highlight.

P.S., Does anyone else prefer the Lost season 1 soundtrack to the season 2 one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No.F.Way

Yes.F.Way!

-Erik-

Agree. It was not love at the first sigh to me with MI3, but it's what every sequel score must be. Enjoy much more this score than his videogame scores.

NP:THe Last Samurai

Did I overrate this score?

I don't know, the love theme and the asian arrengement in some tracks, it seems a little bit simple right now.

And what Zimmer was thinking composing this awful action music?

I don't know...I don't know..

Anyway, it's the most coherent Zimmer score in terms ot Thematic devolopment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Film Works (2 disc) | Joel McNeely

I can see this becoming a favourite much like Bruce Broughton's 2 disc promo "Double Feature". Both promos showcase incredible underrated talent.

Proper film music. (A matter of opinion perhaps, but I stand by it. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Matrix Reloaded - Don Davis
    The cues with Juno Reactor are some of the best orchestra / electronic fusions ever, IMO.

It will be interesting to see if Giacchino gets to do anything like this for Speed Racer. I think he'd be even better at it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They're very impressive for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Indeed. I've come to like it more than the original score album. shame

They are two very different beasts aren't they?

-Erik-

What? An extra Tyrannosaur makes it a VERY different beast?

Sorry! shame wink

I know exactly what you mean and I too find Lost World the far more enjoyable score, in fact I rarely play the original because it's always this one I want to reach for cool
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    They're very impressive for sure.

But Rob Dougan's contribution is still the best. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Quite right. First Contact (especially the full score) is still a damn fine score, the second score I ever listened to on CD (after Star Trek Generations).

Yep! The full score to 'Contact' is great isn't it! ( and I thank you for that, though I did know great material was missing from watching the film ).

NP : BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojchiech Kilar

A great score with a fine album release but missing one superb track from the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Battlefield Modern Combat: Rupert Gregson-Williams
    A very intense listening experience. It takes a certain mood. And there are so many little motifs that show up once in each track and then dissappear that it takes a lot of listens to get to know it...which I haven't yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Scribe wrote
    The cues with Juno Reactor are some of the best orchestra / electronic fusions ever, IMO.

It will be interesting to see if Giacchino gets to do anything like this for Speed Racer. I think he'd be even better at it.

In my opinion I think the most interesting cues from Matrix Trilogy are the ones with Juno Ractor except for the Matrix theme , wich is quite impressive).

About Speed Racer..being Alias score used in the trailer..you can guess what kind of score will be.

NP:Prince of Egypt
    Why ten Commandaments ( I mean the epic conclusion) reminds me so much to the epic ending of Hoist the Colours?

Anyway....The best animation score, if you mix the songs with the score. (Mulan or Secreth of Nimh could be better scores, and Hunchback of Notredame could have the best songs )
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    Scribe wrote

In my opinion I think the most interesting cues from Matrix Trilogy are the ones with Juno Ractor except for the Matrix theme , wich is quite impressive).

About Speed Racer..being Alias score used in the trailer..you can guess what kind of score will be.

Yes, and it makes me very excited. I hope there will be enough "emotional" content in the film that it won't become another M:i:III (not that there's anything wrong with said score, its just very intense for very long...)
    Nautilus wrote
    Why ten Commandaments ( I mean the epic conclusion) reminds me so much to the epic ending of Hoist the Colours?

Anyway....The best animation score, if you mix the songs with the score. (Mulan or Secreth of Nimh could be better scores, and Hunchback of Notredame could have the best songs )

Because it's Zimmer and he writes epic things in similar ways across different films....

And yes...absolutely the best score for an animated movie.

NP: Nanny McPhee - Patrick Doyle.
    One of his most charming scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

rolleyes
    I don´t think so...it´s just a "sound" or a "sonority" that "Goodbye Brother" (I assume you´re talking about this cue) reminds you to "Hoist the Colour Suite"?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

rolleyes
    I don´t think so...it´s just a "sound" or a "sonority" that "Goodbye Brother" (I assume you´re talking about this cue) reminds you to "Hoist the Colour Suite"?

He's talking about a cue that is not on the regular release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    ^ And that cue would be?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It's called "Ten Commandments" on some "releases." I'm not positive, but I think it's the same thing as what I have as a self-made DVD rip of the last two minutes of the film, in which there aren't really any sound effects but a dramatically swelling orchestral conclusion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Damn bootlegs, always messing around with the track titles crazy
    I´ll contact with Jordi, I´m really curious about this "Ten Commandments" - "Hoist the Colours" thing.