• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Alright... the Jordi challenge. What are the odds that Jordi comes back to us in a few weeks time singing this scores praises. Anyone? Anyone?

Haha...."the Jordi challenge". A brand new concept that IMO substitutes the former "to make a Jordi". But this time, if I had to bet, I´d say he won´t change his mind.

I don't know man. If you remember at scorereviews he absolutely loathed John Williams and his scores. Now... ask him about The Empire Strikes Back.

Also, ask him about that score by Jerry Goldsmith for Legend which was garbage one day and then his most brilliant work the next.

That's called "Pulling A Jordi." I did the same thing with Medicine Man.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Alright... the Jordi challenge. What are the odds that Jordi comes back to us in a few weeks time singing this scores praises. Anyone? Anyone?

Haha...."the Jordi challenge". A brand new concept that IMO substitutes the former "to make a Jordi". But this time, if I had to bet, I´d say he won´t change his mind.

I don't know man. If you remember at scorereviews he absolutely loathed John Williams and his scores. Now... ask him about The Empire Strikes Back.

Also, ask him about that score by Jerry Goldsmith for Legend which was garbage one day and then his most brilliant work the next.

That's called "Pulling A Jordi." I did the same thing with Medicine Man.

-Erik-

Hahaha...yeah, you´re right about "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Legend", I remember that.
    But with a dramatic score by an unknown (to him) composer, I dunno. He is very tough when it´s about discovering new composers. It took me AGES (no kidding) to make him listen the first "Medal of Honor".
    Anyway, I´m afraid we´ve all "Pulled a Jordi" sometimes...only that he does it more often biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's very tough at pulling Zimmer and the gang out of his mp3 player, anytime, anywhere. Poor ol' Rombi doesn't stand a chance with Jordi's stiffer than rock ears.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    He's very tough at pulling Zimmer and the gang out of his mp3 player, anytime, anywhere. Poor ol' Rombi doesn't stand a chance with Jordi's stiffer than rock ears.

"rock ears" hehe, he said "rock ears" biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008 edited
    NP : QUEST FOR FIRE - Philippe Sarde

I'd put money on it that the score to 10,000 BC is simplistic, generic and pathetic compared to this Sarde masterpiece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Film Music of Ron Goodwin - Ron Goodwin
    performed by the BBC Philharmonic and conducted by Rumon Gamba

shocked

This is an absolutely outstanding compilation containing some of Goodwin's most memorable themes expertly performed by the BBC Philharmonic. The album opens up perfectly with a rousing performance of the Squadron 633 theme which segues into Frenzy (not bad) and then complete bowls you over with one of the finest themes I've ever heard... the main theme from Lancelot & Guinevere. Oh baby! Now that's what I call a theme!

The Battle of Britain gets ample playing time with a great 6 piece suite. The rest of the album is rounded out with more music from Squadron 633, Submarine X-1, Operation Crossbow Force 10 From Navaron, Where Eagle Dare as well as many. MANY others.

The album comes to a close perfectly with a lengthy suite from Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines. Wow... just wow!

It's been a while since I've put this one on but I'm glad I did so today. Great sound quality, excellent performances, adequate conducting... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    NP : QUEST FOR FIRE - Philippe Sarde

I'd put money on it that the score to 10,000 BC is simplistic, generic and pathetic compared to this Sarde masterpiece.

You couldn't be more correct, sir!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

PS - Angel was 2007's best score... hands down!

Indeed;

AHahahahaah....With At world's End + Suites - Ratatouille - Lust Caution being scores from 2007????

Come On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Golden age sound...."

-Erik-

That's the thing man...that's the thing...

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

PS - Angel was 2007's best score... hands down!

Indeed;

AHahahahaah....With At world's End + Suites - Ratatouille - Lust Caution being scores from 2007????

Come On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Golden age sound...."

-Erik-

That's the thing man...that's the thing...

wink

Embrace it, Jordi. EMBRACE IT!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

shocked

This is an absolutely outstanding compilation containing some of Goodwin's most memorable themes expertly performed by the BBC Philharmonic. The album opens up perfectly with a rousing performance of the Squadron 633 theme which segues into Frenzy (not bad) and then complete bowls you over with one of the finest themes I've ever heard... the main theme from Lancelot & Guinevere. Oh baby! Now that's what I call a theme!

The Battle of Britain gets ample playing time with a great 6 piece suite. The rest of the album is rounded out with more music from Squadron 633, Submarine X-1, Operation Crossbow Force 10 From Navaron, Where Eagle Dare as well as many. MANY others.

The album comes to a close perfectly with a lengthy suite from Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines. Wow... just wow!

It's been a while since I've put this one on but I'm glad I did so today. Great sound quality, excellent performances, adequate conducting... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

-Erik-

Yeah, that's a fantastic album that one! ( Steven will agree too! cool )

Some of Gamba's performances have been under par at times but I have to tip my hat to the man for keeping the flag flying on great, and in many cases, under appreciated British film music. Now if only he could do an album of BRIAN EASDALE's film music, a complete Black Narcisus and The Red Shoes would have me dribbling.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm all Bernstein'ed up now! cool

NP : SATURN 3 - Elmer Bernstein

May not be everyone's cuppa this but I love it, a meaty score to really get your hearing chops around. Those that are familiar will know that Heavy Metal's 'Taarna' theme appears in this score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote

shocked

-Erik-

No Valhalla Erik? I love that score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

lol Not a chance, AT ALL
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

shocked

-Erik-

No, but there is a suite from "Clash Of Loyalties." I have no idea what that is but I'm loving it. A Battle of Britain styled march and some lush, romantic, middle eastern inspired melodies... HOT DIGGITY DAMN! This is mindblowing music!!! Rob Goodwin is a God!

And now the BBC Philharmonic slays me with a heartbreaking melody for Beauty and the Beast with an achingly beautiful violin solo. Ooooooh man. It's been a long time since I've had this kind of revelation. Thank you Chandos! Thank You Rumon Gamba! Thank You BBC Phil. And Thank You Ron Goodwin for this absolutely gorgeous and thrilling film music!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

shocked

-Erik-

edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

shocked

-Erik-

No it's not Marcel but the album still has loads of gems on it! cool

Yours sincerely

Not Erik wink

biggrin
    Ok, ok, thanks BOTH of you. wink
    Will be my next purchase. "Battle of Britain", "633 Squadron", "Where Eagles Dare" and "Operation Crossbow" are magnificent IMO (such memeorable main themes). I haven´t listened his non-war scores ("Valhalla apart), so this might be a great purhcase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    [Thick British accent] The Goodwin album is indeed BLOODY FANTASTIC. [/Thick British accent]
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just in case you don't have the booklet at hand Erik.

Clash Of Loyalties is a film made in 1983 set in Iraq during the 1920's and is basically the story of how Iraq gained indepenence from the British Empire starring Oliver Reed and James Bolam. The suite consists of 'The Battle Theme', 'Dharis Theme' and 'The Riot Theme'.

Great stuff! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Just in case you don't have the booklet at hand Erik.

Clash Of Loyalties is a film made in 1983 set in Iraq during the 1920's and is basically the story of how Iraq gained indepenence from the British Empire starring Oliver Reed and James Bolam. The suite consists of 'The Battle Theme', 'Dharis Theme' and 'The Riot Theme'.

Great stuff! punk

Thanks!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thomas Newman - Up Close and Personal

Soothing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

Another of the last few Month's brilliant releases! cool
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Video Game) - James Hannigan

A very good score... probably what a lighter John Williams score for the OOTP film would've been sounded like. I'm not digging the new Voldemort/Death Eaters theme, though. But the score sounds vibrantly crisp and clear (I'm talking POA film score-clear, folks!). The London Philharmonic Orchestra and the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra are put through their paces with aplomb.

For those disappointed with Hooper's score for the actual film (like Erik and James), this is a highly-recommended alternative.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Video Game) - James Hannigan

A very good score... probably what a lighter John Williams score for the OOTP film would've been sounded like. I'm not digging the new Voldemort/Death Eaters theme, though. But the score sounds vibrantly crisp and clear (I'm talking POA film score-clear, folks!). The London Philharmonic Orchestra and the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra are put through their paces with aplomb.

For those disappointed with Hooper's score for the actual film (like Erik and James), this is a highly-recommended alternative.

Absolutely!

A real delight this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Island of Lost Souls (Jane A. Cornish)
    omg shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    omg shocked

Good?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Wow, you´re a fast man Anthony! wink
    And yes, is VERY good. Big, bold, epic fantasy score.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote

I'm so getting it. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

I'm so getting it. punk

You will like it. It's the type of music which is most often heard in WW2 video games!

http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/island_lost_souls.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008 edited

"Brass dominates, which is not unexpected in a fantasy action score - and the brass players of the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra play as if for their lives, giving real power to the music"
    INDEED! (the last two tracks being the perfect example) punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    omg shocked

IMHO, the second best score of 2007. Outstanding score and I can't wait to hear more from Cornish.

-Erik-