• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    NP: Heaven & Earth - Kitaro

Wonderful, simply irresistable. As much flack I'll get for saying this, it definitely deserved to upset Schindler's List for Best Score win at the Golden Globes in 1993. Exquisite.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote

Wonderful, simply irresistable. As much flack I'll get for saying this, it definitely deserved to upset Schindler's List for Best Score win at the Golden Globes in 1993. Exquisite.

Indeed! It's a lovely score. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Neighbours - Bill Conti / Tom Scott

Conti's music is frustratingly cartoonish, but Scott's rejected score makes a far superior listen. Somewhat Herrmannesque, noirish music - terrific! (The best score for the film ended up in it, though - Scott's would have ruined it, not that it was great to begin with.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote

rolleyes

Excellent score but nothing in 1993 was better than Schindler's List. Nothing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Southall wrote
    What is your favourite Atli Orvarsson score ever? kiss

Name us your favourite David Newman - Eddie Murphy score first!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I'm in a Williams mood too.

NP: Far And Away - John Williams

That should do it.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

rolleyes

-Erik-

Jurassic Park's my favourite of that year... but of course, there's nothing wrong with Schindler's List, and it deserved all its awards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Forrest Gump - Alan Silvestri

It's been a while but this is still very lovely and a pleasant score to listen to.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Batman & Robin | Elliot Goldenthal

Somebody hire this guy to score more movies. In short, come back Elllllliot!!!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

*cue exasperated sigh*

There's something irresistable to Heaven & Earth that I find myself returning to often. Not that I didn't like Schindler's List, as it is an extremely beautiful score and deserving of its Oscar win, but also is incredibly depressing and not something I'd like to return to often.

But Jurassic Park owns both Heaven and Earth and Schindler's List in composition. There's nothing wrong with having a differing opinion, Erik... lighten up a bit! moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't find Schindler's List depressing like most people seem to. I find it reflective, beautiful, powerful, heart-wrenching, and poignant - but never depressing.

I think I'm one of a few people who actually listen to this score regularly? It's a fantastic album, and certainly the best score of 1993 that I've heard. (I find it hard to believe there was another score released in 1993 that topped it to be honest.)
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Ahem.

*points to James's recent comment*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Never accused you of anything otherwise. I'm just putting my two cents in - and that I find it strange that so many find it 'depressing'. I had to beg to differ. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    What is your favourite Atli Orvarsson score ever? kiss

Spy Game

oh, wait;
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008 edited
    Matt C wrote
    But Jurassic Parkowns both Heaven and Earth and Schindler's List in composition. There's nothing wrong with having a differing opinion, Erik... lighten up a bit! moon

You might want to read your own post carefully. The sentence in BOLD. Ya... so now go back my post where I said nothing beats Schindler's List. That's MY opinion and in my opinion your opinion is wrong. wink

-Erik-

PS - Jurassic Park is great as well but nothing in 1993 beats Schindler's List.
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    I don't find Schindler's List depressing like most people seem to. I find it reflective, beautiful, powerful, heart-wrenching, and poignant - but never depressing.

I think I'm one of a few people who actually listen to this score regularly?

Couldn't agree more, it's pure beauty.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    That's what I said too! wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Prince Valiant - Franz Waxman

Wow! I heard great things about this score (and was captivated by the main titles cue), so I decided to give it a whir. It's influenced by Korngold's "Robin Hood" score, although it's certainly no rip-off. Has a similar sort of brash heroic motif but it's certainly in a league of itself and infectious. Newman favors the shorter string writing for the action scenes than Korngold's longer lines, but it's certainly a wonderful album.

I certainly agree with Erik on this score! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote

On my Top 10 of all time. And I think that Waxman's own voice is all over this score. A score and sound that most definitely influenced the sound of John Williams. A Morg/Strom re-recording of this score would be splendid! However, Gerhardt's suite is absolutely flawless!!!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

On my Top 10 of all time. And I think that Waxman's own voice is all over this score. A score and sound that most definitely influenced the sound of John Williams. A Morg/Strom re-recording of this score would be splendid! However, Gerhardt's suite is absolutely flawless!!!

-Erik-

Fantastic score!

The film is dreadful almost beyond belief....avoid!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

*cue exasperated sigh*

There's something irresistable to Heaven & Earth that I find myself returning to often. Not that I didn't like Schindler's List, as it is an extremely beautiful score and deserving of its Oscar win, but also is incredibly depressing and not something I'd like to return to often.

But Jurassic Park owns both Heaven and Earth and Schindler's List in composition. There's nothing wrong with having a differing opinion, Erik... lighten up a bit! moon

I'm with Matt, very deserving score but very depressing.

Best of 1993? What were the other notable scores that year?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojchiech Kilar

Man but I love this score! punk cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAVEHEART - James Horner

I still feel Horner should have won his 'statue' for this brilliant score that never fails to move me ( despite my misgivings about the film ), amazingly beautiful score that I never tire of.
  2. Going by IMDB release dates, among the other great scores of 1993 were (on top of the two Williams scores)...

- Tombstone (Broughton)
    - The Age of Innocence (Bernstein)
    - La Belle Epoque (Duhamel)
    - And the Band Played On (Burwell)
    - Sommersby (Elfman)
    - Demolition Man (Goldenthal)
    - M Butterfly (Shore)
    - Remains of the Day (Robbins)
    - Little Buddha (Sakamoto)
    - Rudy (Goldsmith)
    - Carlito's Way (Doyle)
    - The Joy Luck Club (Portman)

I think we like to make out there's a 'best' score in a given year, but I tend to find there's always a handful that show their composers on top form, and the above list is pretty good. I'd find it hard to resist praising Zbigniew Preisner though, who had Secret Garden and Trois Coleurs: Bleu (one of the greatest of all films and film scores).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

I still feel Horner should have won his 'statue' for this brilliant score that never fails to move me ( despite my misgivings about the film ), amazingly beautiful score that I never tire of.

The Statue? But the Razzie isn't a statue confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Desplat - The Upside of Anger

My first listen to this charming score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

You better be kidding so help me god. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nop kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

You better be kidding so help me god. slant

No, he's right: the Razzie in fact isn't a statue, in spite of common believe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nop kiss

Urge to kill RISING.