• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    Hype-wheel, attack!

Seriously, did no one listen to the good quality samples?

www.johnpowellcomposer.com/hortonsamples.zip

!

wave spin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Happy Feet WAS my favourite Powell animated score...until Horton. Every listen is surprising and different. So original and fresh, Powell strikes back!

Yeah, after Jumper I couldn't have asked for more. Horton RULES. Does it strike anyone else as being a ''Disney'' score?

wave spin

(Thanks for that one Timmer! biggrin )

You're welcome! biggrin ( but it was you who instigated it wink )

NP : ALIEN - Jerry Goldsmith

Finally managed to crowbar Mike Oldfield out of the stereo and put on this true classic born of genius, it'll take a few moments to settle into such an extreme mood change.

Thank you so much Intrada! cool

My god but this is brilliant!

Harsh, intense but with, at times, the most serene calmness and beauty. What a true master Jerry Goldsmith is and was. smile sad

Today's film composers still have much to learn.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY - David Newman

Good fun with some really fine choral moments in the Heaven and Hell sequences.

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Transformers (Jablonsky)

Ready for the Decepticons apocalyptic stuff, specially the version in "Sam to the roof"

beer
  1. Marselus wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Fragile by Roque Baños

Absolutely one of the better horror scores out there, fully orchestral, textural, vocal, you name it, its there. Oh and the film is good too wink

Agree on both the score and the movie. The vocal cue at the end of the score is amazing. Glad you liked it wink

Oh, there will be a review of this one wink
    I give you my word smile

I don´t expect less than 4 stars kiss

I'll be honest and true smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    petersv wrote

NP: Erik's Best of 2007 Show

An enjoyable summary of the past year, with a few new interesting introductions to me. Angel and Island of Lost Souls both sound like something I should acquire, especially Angel.

Thanks for a show well done, Erik!

Thank you for the kind comments and I'm glad that I was able to introduce you to a few scores you had never heard before. That's the reason why I keep doing the show. Speaking of, I'm working on three new shows as I write this.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HOTEL BABYLON - ?

Doesn't say who it's composed by? Just produced by Jim Williams, John Lunn, with vocals by Lisa Abbott.

This is loungey chill out music to the tacky BBC television series, kind of Henry Mancini with some Zero 7 thrown in with a dash of drum n' bass here and there, and a cracking good listen it is too!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Disturbia | Geoff Zanelli

First listen after a long time in my iTunes library. Surprisingly entertaining!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Disturbia | Geoff Zanelli

First listen after a long time in my iTunes library. Surprisingly entertaining!

Indeed, this is a very tight horror score and bravo to Mr.Zanelli for it but just don't go anywhere near the deadly stupid movie!!!!!! vomit
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008 edited
    NP: Justice League: The New Frontier - Kevin Manthei

A really interesting score, it's heroic but has some interesting stylistics (such as a sax theme for J'onn that make it a bit like The Incredibles) and orchestration. I'm really digging "Main Titles" and "The Flash vs. Centre / Last Bit of Business", though. The mixing of the score makes me think that that the score was entirely generated on the computer and while the site says that the score is orchestral, the mixing are pretty underwhelming. It's a good score, but a bigger ensemble would add depth and give the score the scope it deserves.

Or maybe it's a stylistic choice to make the score more retro like the film it underscores...
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Np: Passion Of Christ Simphony

I prefer the original soundtrack because it's more mind blowing, with the ethnic instruments and the atmospheric sound design.

But the Simphony is more thematic, epic and , of course...orchestral!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    you liked Disturbia? Man you're seriously......disturbed. tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP The Oxford Crimes (Roque Baños)
    shocked
    Baños in a thriller mood again after his dramatic effort in "Las 13 Rosas". His expertise with the orchestra is amazing, as if he is playing with it (and with the main theme). And another lovely love theme to add to his musical achievements. Another winner from Roque.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hollow Man - Jerry Goldsmith

Started this a few days ago and only now am I finally finishing it. This is a lot better than I remembered. I'm still in love with the "Isabelle Comes Back" cue and the last two action cues on the album are superb. Some of the best action writing Goldsmith did before his passing! This is a score that I plan to return to more often.

Now moving onto...

Wyatt Earp - James Newton Howard

One of my all time favorite Newton Howard scores. This film has been on TV the past couple of weekends and I find that I can tune into any point in the film and still enjoy it and get involved emotionally! I'm a big fan of the movie and the score it's just absolutely perfect. Everything from the sweeping "Main Title" to the exciting "The Wagon Chase" to the ferocious "O.K. Corral" - it's a dynamite score from start to finish. I love the little Irish touches heard throughout the score especially in "Going To Town" and "Railroad" - and the love theme heard in "The Wedding" is gorgeous as is the sweeping family theme.

Great score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote

One of my all time favorite Newton Howard scores. This film has been on TV the past couple of weekends and I find that I can tune into any point in the film and still enjoy it and get involved emotionally! I'm a big fan of the movie and the score it's just absolutely perfect. Everything from the sweeping "Main Title" to the exciting "The Wagon Chase" to the ferocious "O.K. Corral" - it's a dynamite score from start to finish. I love the little Irish touches heard throughout the score especially in "Going To Town" and "Railroad" - and the love theme heard in "The Wedding" is gorgeous as is the sweeping family theme.

Great score!

-Erik-

Yay! I don't see this score mentioned a lot on the forum. I agree, it was pretty much James' biggest score at the time and it really is a great listen. I love the OK Corral when it gets all percussive and brassy towards the end. Brilliant stuff!

NP: Blood Diamond - James Newton Howard

The action stuff isn't his best but he's on his usual top form when it comes to his finely crafted emotional material, showcased best in Goodbyes, Thought I'd Never Call, London and the brilliant Solomon Vandy. The cue Your Mother Loves You is just heartbreaking.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Legend of Buth & Sundance | basil poledouris

Addicted!! The hints to Big Wednesay are cool to hear. It defenitely has some of the vibes of that score. Rich in instrumentation and a killer main theme.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    D-War | Steve Jablonsky

I like it. Shoot me if you will, but I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    D-War | Steve Jablonsky

Look... Stevie likes it... he really likes it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Passion of Christ Simphony (Debney)

The origina soundtrack is , perhaps, my favourite because his use of ethnics instruments and atmospheric design...Wich makes a really Mind Blowing score.

The Simphony instead, has the magic of being perfomed in Rome, and being a more thematic and , of course, orchestral album.

Very appropiate for this week, How I said.

( When i arrive at home, I will watch the few movements in the Ubeda Concert)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    D-War | Steve Jablonsky

-Erik-

There's a Bulgarian girl in my halls that keeps calling me Stevie. For some reason it made me smile tohave you call me that. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    D-War | Steve Jablonsky

-Erik-

There's a Bulgarian girl in my halls that keeps calling me Stevie. For some reason it made me smile tohave you call me that. biggrin

I was referencing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-T … re=related

wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Just watched Storm Chasers on Channel 5, so guess what I'm listening to.... cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: Happy Feet - John Powell

I really love this score! I can't wait to listen to Horton.

punk
  2. I heard some very funny stories about John Powell last night at the studio where he recorded HAPPY FEET and JUMPER.

NP: THE LAND BEFORE TIME (Horner)

Nostalgia for this score is very strong for me. I only bought it recently on ebay.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I heard some very funny stories about John Powell last night at the studio where he recorded HAPPY FEET and JUMPER.

Could you elaborate please? I´m really curious.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. When I say 'funny', they were kind of funny because they referred to a couple of practices that sounded like something a former Zimmer protege would do. For example, to hint at a longer story, in reference to the sessions Trackdown were recording last night, a music copyist remarked "nice to have two parts for the two harps this time."
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Hollow Man - Jerry Goldsmith

Started this a few days ago and only now am I finally finishing it. This is a lot better than I remembered. I'm still in love with the "Isabelle Comes Back" cue and the last two action cues on the album are superb. Some of the best action writing Goldsmith did before his passing! This is a score that I plan to return to more often.

Now moving onto...

Great score!

-Erik-

1. Hollow Man, yay, great score, glad you're enjoying it! punk

2. Wyatt Earp, an excellent underrated film IMO, long and very detailed with a very good score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008 edited
    Wyatt Earp remains JNH's best for me (with competition from Snow Falling on Cedars).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HOTEL BABYLON - ?

Doesn't say who it's composed by? Just produced by Jim Williams, John Lunn, with vocals by Lisa Abbott.

This is loungey chill out music to the tacky BBC television series, kind of Henry Mancini with some Zero 7 thrown in with a dash of drum n' bass here and there, and a cracking good listen it is too!

cool

A second play for this, it's just so darned chilled out and an extremely relaxing listen. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Southall wrote
    Wyatt Earp remains JNH's best for me (with competition from Snow Falling on Cedars).

It's definately one of my favourites too (and that's saying something for me, lol). I love the gentle emotional stuff in Home From The War and Down By The River. Beautiful.

NP: ^