• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    Np: Snake Eyes (sakamoto)

Gorgeous main theme. with all the romance and the hipnotic sense of the DePalma's movies.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    Np: Snake Eyes (sakamoto)

Gorgeous main theme. with all the romance and the hipnotic sense of the DePalma's movies.

Yeah, that is a lovely score Jordi. cool

NP : MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS - John Barry

Beautiful score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Anthony wrote
    They made 4 Jaws movies?! How on Earth did they keep them original?

They actually rejected my idea for JAWS: THE REVENGE of having a world where sharks walked on land, swimming at the beach on hot Saturday afternoons, only to be terrorised by an amphibious creature called ALF. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. From Melmac? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. NP: Meet the Robinsons (full score) (Elfman)

Not crazy about this one. It's well-written, and has a lot of the technical prowess Elfman brought to Serenada Schizophrenia, but when music has to mickey-mouse this much, it needs a stronger melodic centre. (Ratatouille being a good example of a score that has such a centre!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2008 edited
    NP: Femme Fatale (sakamoto)

I don't understand Demetris obsession with that one, even if it's a really good score. I prefer Snake Eyes, a more coherent score with a better main theme.

(Pure Depalma movie, thought)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2008
    Oh God, we're still going!

Jaws Episode 1: The Phantom Great White
    Jaws Episode 2: Attack Of The Clone Sharks
    Jaws Episode 3: Revenge Of The Hammerhead
    Jaws Episode 4....

...you get the idea. I just can't remember any other types of shark!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Melbourne: The Opening Ceremonies | Christopher Gordon

I have an extremely close personal connection with this 'score'. I played it a lot while I was in America last Summer, and on the plane looking out the window during take off and landing. It was brilliant! The music was just so appropriate when I was coming in to land in San Fransisco on a bright sunny afternoon!

(Oh, and I've said this before, but when (not if) I visit Australia for the first time, this will be the first thing I play. Period.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote

I have an extremely close personal connection with this 'score'. I played it a lot while I was in America last Summer, and on the plane looking out the window during take off and landing. It was brilliant! The music was just so appropriate when I was coming in to land in San Fransisco on a bright sunny afternoon!

(Oh, and I've said this before, but when (not if) I visit Australia for the first time, this will be the first thing I play. Period.)

You must come visit Australia Steven.
    When I first arrived here 40 years ago I decided to stay I was that impressed!
    And everywhere you go here they play Christopher Gordon music! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Alatriste (Baños)

I really want to avoid the movie.

The score is more moody than action oriented, wich makes a perfect atmosphere for Alatriste's period.

Duduks, Percusion, Spanish guitars and Gregorian chants are really mind blowing. The little action stuff is good as hell, and the main theme (specially the love one) are gorgeous (very Zimmerish ,thought)

4 and Half out of 5
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP Underworld - Evolution (Marco Beltrami)
    Nothing really special, but with a bunch of these cues with Beltrami´s trademark ("Patricide" and its epic version, "The Future", "William´s Castle", "Selene, Willie and Marcus").
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

Where did you move from? wave

NP : DRACULA - John Williams

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Nautilus wrote

The score is more moody than action oriented, wich makes a perfect atmosphere for Alatriste's period.

Duduks, Percusion, Spanish guitars and Gregorian chants are really mind blowing. The little action stuff is good as hell, and the main theme (specially the love one) are gorgeous (very Zimmerish ,thought)

4 and Half out of 5

"ASALTO AL GALEON"

beer

But is the love theme , almost Horner-Zimmer Like , wich steal my heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Treasured Island - Nicholas Dodd

So this is what a David Arnold score would sound like if he had dental surgery and thus wasn't able to whistle. Pretty good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

4 and Half out of 5

"ASALTO AL GALEON"

beer

But is the love theme , almost Horner-Zimmer Like , wich steal my heart.

Why avoid the movie?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    ^The movie isn´t that bad, at least not as bad as it was told when it was released.
    Another thing is how the director treated the score. There´s more music in the cd than in the film (and in the film is mixed sooo bad). Baños himself said that the director didn´t allow him to be present in the final mix of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

So this is what a David Arnold score would sound like if he had dental surgery and thus wasn't able to whistle. Pretty good!

biggrin

The Legend Of Zorro
    | James Horner

Not as good as the first, but a bloody worthy sequel score (considering he uses the same themes... which was a good idea I think).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

Where did you move from? wave

NP : DRACULA - John Williams

cool

I arrived here when I was born. Which was 40 years ago. spin

BTW good choice listening to Dracula. Wonderful, classic Williams.
    Bring out the complete score release somebody!
  4. NP: Shadow of the Vampire (Dan Jones)

Like Conrad Pope's Pavillion of Women and Jeremy Sams' Enduring Love, this is one of the great unknown scores of the last ten years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008
    NP:Fragiles (Baños)

I wonder who is the guilty to make the horror scores so hypnotic. Is Herrman? or Goldsmith???

Anyway...Great score, too influenced by Herrman perhaps. wich is not bad, of course.
  5. In answer to your question, Nautilus, I don't think Herrmann ever scored much 'horror' per se. (Unless PSYCHO and SISTERS count, and I'm not sure they do.)

Goldsmith would be a good answer, with POLTERGEIST to his name. That probably accounts for the spread of the idea.

I reckon the horror scores that really got things going were George Auric's THE INNOCENTS (a Mankiewicz-directed Deborah Kerr-starring adaptation of Edgar alan Poe's 'The Turn of the Screw'). This was the beginning of the 'evil children hum in a minor key' to my knowledge. Also consider Krystof Komeda's ROSEMARY'S BABY (a Polanski-directed, Mia Farrow-starring adaptation of another novel). INNOCENTS is a 50s score, and ROSEMARY is a late 60s score, and both have that haunting, hypnotic feel.

NP: Sex and Lucia (Iglesias)

Charming and romantic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008 edited
    SHIGERU UMEBAYASHI / Chan Kwong Wing - DAISY

Simply beautiful
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    NP - Random - My MP3 Player

It's surprising how much music I ''know'' but can't identify when I don't look at what's playing!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

LOL biggrin

Your becoming the boards Simon Amstell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote

Simply beautiful

Have you listened Chan Kwong Wing´s "Infernal Affairs" Trilogy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2008 edited
    Demetris´post has reminded me the great music from asian composers, so,
    NP Taegukgi (Brotherhood) - (Lee Dong-June)
    Great music for this korean war film. A very moving and touching score. A must have/see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Simply beautiful

Have you listened Chan Kwong Wing´s "Infernal Affairs" Trilogy?

Yeap, but i thought DAISY was tremendously superior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I love the Infernal Affairs scores. Perhaps I should check out Daisy. Is it on CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    I love the Infernal Affairs scores. Perhaps I should check out Daisy. Is it on CD?

Yes it is: http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as … 004143853/ wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Mission Impossible 3 - Michael Giacchino

Hunting For Jules is by far one of the best pieces he's ever written, I wish it were longer!