• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
    I will find a distinctive motif!!!
    (I said that about Michael Clayton too but I've yet to actually get around to purchasing that score...)
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    There doesn't always need to be a motif or theme, does it?
    But sure, it helps.

Although, I wouldn't look for it in Michael Clayton.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Is this suite in a compilation or something Thomas?

It's on a rerecording of The Magnificent Seven

-> http://www.amazon.com/The-Magnificent-S … B000V9IJBW

Thx wink

Nautilus wrote
    NP:JUMP er (powell)
    the first tracks are like Mr ad Mrs smith, and the second half like Xmen3 with electronics

Agree with the first part. But the second half being like X-Men 3 with electronics? WTF?! Jumper doesn´t come closer to X-Men 3, AT ALL. They have nothing im common.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Powell scores are usually very deceptive on first listens. We'll soon find the motifs and themes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Bregt wrote
    There doesn't always need to be a motif or theme, does it?
    But sure, it helps.

Although, I wouldn't look for it in Michael Clayton.

I am absolutely positive that there's a motif in Michael Clayton, I found it just in the two listens to the downloaded version I had. But I'm waiting til I get the CD to verify my theories.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
    NP: The DaVinci Code + Peacemaker + Pearl Harbor + Spirit + King Arthur + The Holiday + Black Rain + Broken Arrow + Prince of Egypt.

You can Guess what score is...

beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    NP The Hallelujah Trail (Elmer Bernstein)
    It´s party time with Bernstein. So joyful and full of energy it´impossible not to like this one. It´s full of highlights, but "Main Title (Orchestra and Chorus)" and "Which Way Did They Go" are specially great. punk

I have the original and Silva re-recording.

If anyone want's uplifting this is it, I LOVE it! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: The DaVinci Code + Peacemaker + Pearl Harbor + Spirit + King Arthur + The Holiday + Black Rain + Broken Arrow + Prince of Egypt.

You can Guess what score is...

beer

NOPE! confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008 edited
    Heard last night: SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (DeLuxe Complete) - Stephen Sondheim

Such a lush score, beautiful orchestrations and performance by orchestra and cast! Sure, I've understoond the main cast doesn't have the tonal reach of an Angela Lansbury and you might consider this rendition a bit 'thin', but see it this way: it's a different approach done by actors, thus concentrating on the personal espect (hence the lack of chorus), which gives a different feel to it. If you want to have the same approach, go listen to the Broadway recordings. Burton has done something slightly different with it, and it works marvelously.

While during the film I didn't have favorites yet, the songs now all stand out, having that "oh yeah, that one!" quality. The musical use of thematics within the songs is just brilliant, all coming together in the moving Final Scene (watch out, only for those who already have seen the film!). I feel Sweeney Todd really is the best moviemusical in years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Asterix At The Olympic Games : Frederick Talgorn

Extremely John Williams-esque in most places. I guess that's what the director wanted.
    I'm not complaining! It sounds wonderful! Very rich and quite magical.
    Talgorn is a brilliant composer who deserves more recognition.

He and Roque Banos are the two composers I've only recently become familiar with.
    I'm so glad I have. I love their music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Powell scores are usually very deceptive on first listens. We'll soon find the motifs and themes!

I couldn't have said it better myself. First listen = nothing. Second listen - annoying guitar theme, sliding brass ''theme'', some other ''heroic'' motif I think and then that strange Asian sounding string instrument (which I really like). spin

I also spotted a little ''motif'' with some electronics (it's in Bridges, Rules Banking and Roland At The Lair (like the bass line of it). There's also the little piano theme in the first and last tracks but they're pretty much exactly the same so is it really a ''theme''?
  1. Atham wrote

Extremely John Williams-esque in most places. I guess that's what the director wanted.

He and Roque Banos are the two composers I've only recently become familiar with.

A very worthwhile score!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Atham wrote

A very worthwhile score!

Indeed, liked it a lot, shame that the movie isn't as good.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    After a month of no cd playing I finally found the time for some listening last night:

Luis Bacalov - Caravaggio
    Delightful score with gorgeous themes and some nice pastoral parts.

Tonight I plan to listen to Kaczmarek's Guerra E Pace smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Surf's Up - Danna

Weird score, but fun. A really curious amalgam of styles - Philip Glass, Danny Elfman, The Beach Boys...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: Jumper - John Powell

I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    the beach boys? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Been playing all day Zimmer's finest achievement in years, imo, DA VINCI CODE.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Broken Trail (David Mansfield / Van Dyke Parks)

A really beautiful score -- a perfect blending of Chinese style with Western. A bit like Basil Poledouris's The Legend of Butch and Sundance and Lonesome Dove mixed with the more sterotypical Chinese music style one associates with the culture. Simply beautiful.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Been playing all day Zimmer's finest achievement in years, imo, DA VINCI CODE.

Agree. Along with POTC3, The Thin Red Line and Gladiator, his best work in 10 years.

NP 10.000 B.C. (Harald Kloser & Thomas Wanker)
    Much better than I expected. A nice main theme, lots of percussion, tribal/ethnic music (a bit annoying IMO, but I´ve never been into tribal chants) plus nice dramatic and epic (not over the top though) stuff. When it comes to action, it´s very Tyler-ish in some tracks (I like it biggrin ) and VERY Zimmer-ish / Jablonsky-ish in others.
    3 out of 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote

No theme to hold on to, no real emotion, no substance. Just a plain old noisy, generic, ordinary work.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

No theme to hold on to, no real emotion, no substance. Just a plain old noisy, generic, ordinary work.

-Erik-

Well there IS a theme (a couple I´d say), not memorable but pretty effective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Bah. Not very well developed. Some simple melody that was put together in a James Horner moment with so substance.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Switched to How the West was Won (Alfred Newman)
    Now these are well developed themes wink
    I love the choral version of the main theme. A great finale for a great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote

Now HE was a film composer! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Bah. Not very well developed. Some simple melody that was put together in a James Horner moment with so substance.

As espected then. I can't believe they left David Arnold. Kloser couldn't even inspire himself with his own script it seems .... I'll be happy and skip this one, as planned anyway. wink

THE BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY | zbigniew preisner

One beautiful, although a bit a depressing listen. The slow paced sad pieces are extremly beautiful to hear. The more upbeat Saigon theme, or the other parts with guitar, belong to the more catchy side of Preisner, if 'catchy' is even a term that can be used to describe his music.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Haha, touché. smile
    The truth is I´ve recently "discovered" the score outside the film in the double cd , and all I can say is that I´m stunned by this piece of art.
  2. Southall wrote
    NP: Surf's Up - Danna

Weird score, but fun. A really curious amalgam of styles - Philip Glass, Danny Elfman, The Beach Boys...

SAE let me know that my copy shipped today. I'm looking forward to this one - partly because it's so different from what I'm used to hearing from Danna.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

-Erik-

Haha, touché. smile
    The truth is I´ve recently "discovered" the score outside the film in the double cd , and all I can say is that I´m stunned by this piece of art.

Yupper. An outstanding score with one of cinema's greatest main themes!

Ever feel in the dumps, play the Overture!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Rock | MV Peeps

For when you want to listen to something that just KICKS ASS.

Still one of the best examples of the MV sound!

punk