• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Xmen- 3 (powell)

maybe because the movie doesn't have any climax?

No climax? What about "Phoenix Rises" - "The Last Stand"? I´d say this is a climax.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Xmen- 3 (powell)

Why I don't feel the same magic with this score like I feel with lair or Cuthroat Island?

Maybe it's because I know too much Powell's sound? maybe because the movie doesn't have any climax?

Anyway...A 4 and half stars score!

( I can't understand why Powell doesn't perform Phoenix theme in the concerts, is the best thing from this score! )

No climax? Well I suppose that's true of the film, but goodness..."Phoenix Rising" is one of the best musical climaxes...EVER. IMO.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. NP: Ad Ogni Costo - Ennio Morricone

Morricone's bossa nova tunes = spin punk
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    NP: Prison Break (Ramin Djawadi)

So wrong...
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Np: The Luzhin Defence (Alexandre Desplat)

I think this one is turning out to be my favourite Desplat yet. Beautiful, delicate, fantasticly performed by the LSO, everything i like! punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    You don't feel the magic and give it 4 and a half starts? Woah; what if you DID feel it...would that be 10 out of 5? wink tongue kiss

I mean It lacks a "little" bit of magic, that makes ID4 and Lair a 5 stars score.

Of course, I feel the magic, specially the Phoenix theme. But perhaps because the movie is very irregular in the middle, Powell score it's not perfect. I don't know.

And About the climax, I mean the movie, not the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008 edited
    NP:At world's End

Lord Becket with this barroque touch and this muppet treasure Island touch is terrific....But Lord Pirate of Singapore and Hoist the Colours Suite are even better.

100 minutes of music.

The color, thematic and action explosion of this score is so unexpected that I think Zimmer will not compose never so good again. Fantasy, Adventure, Romance, Terror, drama, fanfarres, marches, songs...

PS: I really prefer those suites to the unrealeased score from the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Great Debaters - James Newton Howard and Peter Golub < confused

Initially an average effort, I have become rather fond of this score. It's an incredibly easy listen and features some of that lovely slow emotional material that James is so good at writing. The only thing which irritates me is the attachment of Golub's name. Who the hell is he? Oddly enough, the entire score sounds like JNH's capability, so I am mystified as to what his contributions are.

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    msia2k75 wrote
    NP: Prison Break (Ramin Djawadi)

So wrong...

So Bad....so awful.....indeed;
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: JAWS & JAWS 2 - John Williams

It's summer here is South Australia.
    I live near the beach (not far from where Rodney Fox had his famous shark attack).
    We are often told to stay out of the water by coast guards due to incoming sharks.
    So right now I'm in Jaws mode! cool

Great scores! as if you needed me to tell you that?! wink

Love sharks, perfect animals, seen any recently?

Not actually from the beach.
    Back in 2001 there was a dead whale floating off shore near Kangaroo Island that attracted a multitude of great white sharks, not to mention the media and a BBC film crew.
    I joined my friends on their boat to go out and get some shots on camera.
    There were plenty of sharks. Mostly betwwn 8 - 14feet long.
    After a while we decided to move out from all the other boats surrounding the dead whale and just left the boat ideling in the water while we had a bite to eat. Suddenly we felt a heavy "thump" against the boat. My friend's wife went pale and pointed to the back of the boat.
    There it was, a massive great white arround 18-19 feet in length having a nosey at the boat!
    I grabbed my camera and took a couple of photos. I could've patted its nose! Then it went away.
    I then got out the video camera and filmed the crew talking about the experience when right behind them it came. I got it on tape too! This time it just kept hanging arround bumping us. Or swimming under us.
    Soon all the other boats left the whale to see this big shark near us.
    It hang arround for a while, even had a go out somebody's outboard motor.
    Then it just went under and left.
    Was it scarey? No! It was an amazing experience!
    So when the time came to edit the video I couldn't resist but to put the Jaws score behind it.

So now most of my Speilberg type childhood dreams have come true.
    I've seen a Great White up close. I've seen UFOs. Now I just need to find the Ark Of The Covanant! wink

Wow! That's a great story, I'd love to have seen that with my own eyes, I really would.......I'm envious! shame wink

I've seen the BBC footage you talked about too, but 18 - 19 ft? That's one big mama shocked

Thanks for sharing that cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    LSH wrote
    NP: The Great Debaters - James Newton Howard and Peter Golub < confused

Initially an average effort, I have become rather fond of this score. It's an incredibly easy listen and features some of that lovely slow emotional material that James is so good at writing. The only thing which irritates me is the attachment of Golub's name. Who the hell is he? Oddly enough, the entire score sounds like JNH's capability, so I am mystified as to what his contributions are.
    spin

He's one of Howard's "crew" (orchestrator, ghostwriter, etc, i'm not sure exactly which). JNH I think has just picked up Zimmer's habit of crediting his underlings. That's why it doesn't sound any different than a regular JNH score, because Golub is always involved. Just like Mr. Wheelbarrow and Mr. Bacon.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Scribe wrote
    JNH I think has just picked up Zimmer's habit of crediting his underlings.

Don't do it to yourself James!!! slant
  2. Southall wrote
    NP: 3:10 to Yuma - Marco Beltrami

It's been a while since I've listened to a new score with this frequency. A really good one.

It's very good in the film too. (I saw it yesterday.) 'Bible Study' really packs a punch with the first full expression of the score's theme when it comes around. The only bit I was confused about was that my favourite cue on the album, 'Ben takes the Stage', didn't appear in the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    LSH wrote
    Scribe wrote
    JNH I think has just picked up Zimmer's habit of crediting his underlings.

Don't do it to yourself James!!! slant

I think he's always done it (using them, not crediting them, that is).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    crediting them

That's what I was referring to. Working with Zimmer is one thing, turning into him, however, doesn't bear thinking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    NP: JAWS & JAWS 2 - John Williams

It's summer here is South Australia.
    I live near the beach (not far from where Rodney Fox had his famous shark attack).
    We are often told to stay out of the water by coast guards due to incoming sharks.
    So right now I'm in Jaws mode! cool

Great scores! as if you needed me to tell you that?! wink

Love sharks, perfect animals, seen any recently?

Not actually from the beach.
    Back in 2001 there was a dead whale floating off shore near Kangaroo Island that attracted a multitude of great white sharks, not to mention the media and a BBC film crew.
    I joined my friends on their boat to go out and get some shots on camera.
    There were plenty of sharks. Mostly betwwn 8 - 14feet long.
    After a while we decided to move out from all the other boats surrounding the dead whale and just left the boat ideling in the water while we had a bite to eat. Suddenly we felt a heavy "thump" against the boat. My friend's wife went pale and pointed to the back of the boat.
    There it was, a massive great white arround 18-19 feet in length having a nosey at the boat!
    I grabbed my camera and took a couple of photos. I could've patted its nose! Then it went away.
    I then got out the video camera and filmed the crew talking about the experience when right behind them it came. I got it on tape too! This time it just kept hanging arround bumping us. Or swimming under us.
    Soon all the other boats left the whale to see this big shark near us.
    It hang arround for a while, even had a go out somebody's outboard motor.
    Then it just went under and left.
    Was it scarey? No! It was an amazing experience!
    So when the time came to edit the video I couldn't resist but to put the Jaws score behind it.

So now most of my Speilberg type childhood dreams have come true.
    I've seen a Great White up close. I've seen UFOs. Now I just need to find the Ark Of The Covanant! wink

Wow! That's a great story, I'd love to have seen that with my own eyes, I really would.......I'm envious! shame wink

I've seen the BBC footage you talked about too, but 18 - 19 ft? That's one big mama shocked

Thanks for sharing that cool

Our boat was 20 feet in length. When the shark swam along side it was almost the same length as the boat. This was also comfirmed by the surrounding boats who gave the same estimate.
    My friend (who owned the boat) was told later by a local charter boat captain that when the dead whale was first found there were only a few sharks taking bites out of it. He said he and others saw two monster sharks there. One was arround 20 ft long and the other "supposedly" up to 25 ft in length!
    This was said by a well respected "no nonsense" local who said he knows what he saw and doesn't care what people think of him. I don't know? But I know what I saw and have it all on tape!
    So yeah, maybe Bruce the shark is more realistic than we thought! wink

NP: Jaws 1, 2 ,3 and 4.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2008
    Is there any chance / possibility that you could post your footage here at this board? I'd love to see it and I'm sure others here would too!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I'm going to to a short edit of the video footage to put on YouTube soon. I'll let you know when it's up.
    I can scan a couple of the photos I took and put them on here. I just have to find them again since our recent relocation. I know there arround here somewhere!
    All this shark stuff is way off topic now so I might start a new thread for them when I put them on here.
    People might want to add their own interesting photos too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Where do you think "Just Good busines" could have been put in At world's End movie? I love this track, but I can't see him in a Pirates movie.

NP:Alatriste (Baños)

It's not a kick ass action score, It's a reflexive score. I love the tunes, and the sound (mixing percusion, duduks with religious chants and spanish guitars).

Sometimes sounds too Zimmerish thought.....

Navarrete NO! Baños to Hollywood!!!!!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    They made 4 Jaws movies?! How on Earth did they keep them original?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Anthony wrote

They didn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

What's NOT original in sharks chopping off people's arms, legs and heads? biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    I'm going to to a short edit of the video footage to put on YouTube soon. I'll let you know when it's up.
    I can scan a couple of the photos I took and put them on here. I just have to find them again since our recent relocation. I know there arround here somewhere!
    All this shark stuff is way off topic now so I might start a new thread for them when I put them on here.
    People might want to add their own interesting photos too.

That's a great idea, I'll look forward to it. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

What's NOT original in sharks chopping off people's arms, legs and heads? biggrin

Or a shark out for revenge!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I tell you what - a shark WITH A GUN! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Verdict - Johnny Mandel

Holy Goodness Mary Mother of God! What a score!!!! shocked

This score came up in conversation with a few fellow film score fans this morning and I thought I'd give it a spin. The score is very short and is sandwiched in betweem Ron Ellis score to The Seven-Ups and the unused cues from The Seven-Ups This is a very serious, dark and intimate score written for a small ensemble of strings, woodwinds, piano and solo horn with a small chorus making an entrance in "Betrayal" and during the end credits. I can find no fault in this score what so ever. A great find and a score I probably wouldn't have put on if it weren't for my film music buddies! Highly recommended!

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACC … id.5479/.f

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I tell you what - a shark WITH A GUN! biggrin

Jaws 5: Stop Or The Shark Will Shoot!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Jaws 6: This Time He's Pissed Off
  3. Stop or MY Shark Will Shoot!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jaws 7 : The Halitosis Years