• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

Not sure why I torture myself like this but I'm going to give this score one more shot. This is my fourth playing of the score and I'm going to do my best to find that magical spark that has some people thinking that this is the cat's meow!

Here, let me help you.

*whacks both Erik and Demetris over the head*

That ought to fix it. wink
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

Not sure why I torture myself like this but I'm going to give this score one more shot. This is my fourth playing of the score and I'm going to do my best to find that magical spark that has some people thinking that this is the cat's meow!

-Erik-

Personally I think it's a good score ( I can't speak for how it works in the film as I haven't seen it? ), nothing groundbreaking, not by a long shot, but it's good.....not great!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2008 edited
    LSH wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP From Russia with Love (Christopher Lennertz)

Eh? confused
    Did I miss something?
    Was there a remake?

Video game score. smile

NP: Spy Game - Harry Gregson-Williams

My favourite HGW score - it has everything!

punk

Ordinary and generic and very lacking in anything original IMO!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. All lovers of GOLDEN COMPASS, come online to pray for the souls of Erik, Demetris and Anthony. biggrin

NP: Gods and Monsters (Burwell)

The nostalgic waltz main theme by Burwell is a real heart-breaker. Whew!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Here, let me help you.

*whacks both Erik and Demetris over the head*

That ought to fix it. wink

Wow... thanks. The score now sucks even more!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Water Horse: legend of the deep

What an enjoyable, soothingly melodic and beautiful listen. Not stirring any waters of groundbreaking originality or anything like that for sure but it's undeniably easy-listening and pleasant.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Water Horse: legend of the deep

What an enjoyable, soothingly melodic and beautiful listen. Not stirring any waters of groundbreaking originality or anything like that for sure but it's undeniably easy-listening and pleasant.

Indeed! I like this score a lot. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote

NP: Lust, Caution (Desplat)

One of the best romantic thriller scores ever written. Well and truly on the level of some of Herrmann's great efforts in the genre.

Agree. I love this score, it's my favourite Desplat score,and Ilove this Herrman's-Goldsmith references.

Wong Chia's theme is addictive....

5 stars score for sure, I want to see the movie!
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    NP: The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe - Harry Gregson-Williams

I'm looking forward to the next Narnia score by Harry and even more the third score by David Arnold! I liked this first score, but I hope that the sequels will have better music. I really like the track Wardrobe which is really beautiful and lovely. The action tracks are also quite good but I prefer the slower tracks. I also like that Harry used Finland's national instrument, the Kantele ( http://www.people.iup.edu/rahkonen/kantele/kantele.JPG ) in the score. It has very beautiful and wintry sound (example track 4: 2:01-2:41). The Kantele player Timo Väänänen, who played in the score is quite well known here in Finland (a clip of him playing the Finnish folk song Karjalan kunnailla: http://virtual.finland.fi/stream/kantele1.ram ). I hope that he returns to the next score as well.
  2. NP: Mosca Addio (Morricone)

Aaaaaahhhhh... that deep sigh is my reaction to the really beautiful saxophone melody at the heard of this score. What a theme! Where does Morricone find his hundreds and hundreds of memorable melodies?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Other Boleyn Girl

My, this is extremely fine. Anyone who loves Marianelli or Desplat will love this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Right.
    That's me off the list. slant

NP: Pluto Nash - John Powell
    Proper funky-flaky fun-filled festivities!
    I just love how Powell manages to imbue his work with such undiluted pleasure: his comedy scores always make me smile.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Martijn wrote
    Right.
    That's me off the list. slant

NP: Pluto Nash - John Powell
    Proper funky-flaky fun-filled festivities!
    I just love how Powell manages to imbue his work with such undiluted pleasure: his comedy scores always make me smile.

Yeap, the main theme is really, really addictive. But there are some great tracks too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

My, this is extremely fine. Anyone who loves Marianelli or Desplat will love this.

You've reeled me in. I'll be checking this out! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mosca Addio (Morricone)

Aaaaaahhhhh... that deep sigh is my reaction to the really beautiful saxophone melody at the heard of this score. What a theme! Where does Morricone find his hundreds and hundreds of memorable melodies?

It's a word that's banded around farrrrrrrrr too much and all too frequently, it's a word that doesn't apply to 99% of our beloved composers but it's a word that quite rightly can be bestowed upon Ennio Morricone, and that word is....

GENIUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Nativity Story - Mychael Danna

It's been a long while since I last listened to this but it is still very very impressive.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

My embargoed review also says that it will appeal to fans of John Barry...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    confused

During the film, The Other Boleyn Girl really wasn't anything special at all. Still, I've got a review copy over here, so I'll have another listen outside of the film. But I doublt I'll love it. Marianelli or Desplat? Not even close slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

My embargoed review also says that it will appeal to fans of John Barry...

Sold! Signed! Sealed! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BobdH wrote
    confused

During the film, The Other Boleyn Girl really wasn't anything special at all. Still, I've got a review copy over here, so I'll have another listen outside of the film. But I doublt I'll love it. Marianelli or Desplat? Not even close slant

It'll be interesting to see if you still don't like it. I don't see what there is to not like. Grand, ravishing, romantic music, no Zimmerish synth crap that appears in every other historical movie these days - a wonderful album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, I tried The Golden Compass for a fourth time and while there are some highlights the rest just simply doesn't grab a hold of me. There seems to be something missing and I can't put my finger on it. I think it has to do with the orchestrations. There is something about them that doesn't lift up the thematic material emotionally. The themes seem a bit empty. It's a score that I will NEVER warm up to.

Now, let's move on to a masterful action adventure score...

NP: Flesh + Blood - Basil Poledouris

Now this is more like it. This is such a rich, large scale, epic orchestral score with instantly recognizable themes for each character in the film, thunderous action material and brilliant orchestrations that support the thematic material perfectly. The folk like main theme gets a wonderful workout during the course of the score and reaches it's zenith during the End Title suite. The thematic material sticks with you which was a staple of Poledouris' career. He has created some of film and TV's most memorable thematic material that are fully developed and rounded out which is something we don't get much of these days. This is a brilliant effort!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Mosca Addio (Morricone)

It's a word that's banded around farrrrrrrrr too much and all too frequently, it's a word that doesn't apply to 99% of our beloved composers but it's a word that quite rightly can be bestowed upon Ennio Morricone, and that word is....

GENIUS!

Indeed, totally true; shame so relatively few seem to know it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Prince of Tides

One word: gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote
    JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Prince of Tides

One word: gorgeous.

Absolutely! I haven't heard this one in ages.

cool

NP: Amazing Grace - David Arnold

An exquisite, haunting score which I think is sadly underrated.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008
    NP : MEDICINE MAN - Jerry Goldsmith

A lovely exotic score with Sean Connery starring as our beloved composer! biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - Total Recall

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael Giacchino - Turning Point (gamerip)

punk Release it officially damn it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Michael Giacchino - Turning Point (gamerip)

punk Release it officially damn it!

Who cares? We have a complete! biggrin

Unless cues were made longer for an album version... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:10.000 BC

I went to the Cinema to see this movie with a girl.

Dammed! Now , this score is special in my life,because it was an special date with an special girl!

I have a Kloser score in my life NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...Well,maybe i can replace this for King arthur biggrin

About the movie..... It was one of the worst movies I ever seen (I was very much talking with the girl...But I can remember that)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:10.000 BC

I went to the Cinema to see this movie with a girl.

Dammed! Now , this score is special in my life,because it was an special date with an special girl!

I have a Kloser score in my life NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...Well,maybe i can replace this for King arthur biggrin

About the movie..... It was one of the worst movies I ever seen (I was very much talking with the girl...But I can remember that)

Talking eh? wink Go Jordi! punk