• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    By the way, how many pages do we usually go before "rebooting" this topic?

Huh? What are you talking about? wink

FAR CRY 3: BLOOD DRAGON - POWER GLOVE

Essentially a videogame score, but more of a throwback to 80s type film scoring, completely done with synthesizer and samples. It's cheesy, it's awesome, it's fun ! If you haven't heard the main theme, you're missing out on something fantastic... if you have heard the main theme and don't love it from the get-go, you're quite clearly mad ! And the rest of the soundtrack is pretty great too.

Blood Dragon Theme punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. That score is entertaining as hell (if you're in the mood, which I'll admit sometimes I'm not). That main theme owes a hell of a lot to Blade Runner, as it should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2016

Spectacular.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That score is entertaining as hell (if you're in the mood, which I'll admit sometimes I'm not). That main theme owes a hell of a lot to Blade Runner, as it should.

With a good dose of The Terminator ! Did you know the videogame has Michael Biehn (from that same film) voicing a typical gung-ho 'don't mess with me' action hero spouting one-liners, acting cool and bulletproof as was the general behavior of movie heroes back in the day. Love that approach.

Once again my preference for being 'stuck in the past' shines through. Please don't hold it against me. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016
    Hey, I'm with you. Never played the game, but the music is a fun mix of various 80's genre synth scores (which is obviously right up my alley).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. You need to watch the short film 'Kung Fury' Thor, which was inspired by the above-mentioned game.

The music and visual style should definitely appeal to you. I think it's on youtube.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I saw KUNG FURY when it went viral a year ago or so. Very fun "experiment", tailored for my generation. Was there ever a 'soundtrack'?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Do it like in those days. Record the film's audio on cassette and listen to that until someone decides to release the score in 15-20 years time. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Do it like in those days. Record the film's audio on cassette

Wow. THAT brings back memories. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016 edited
    Curiously, I never did that, even though I fully discovered film music around 1990. Perhaps I'm just SLIGHTLY on the young side to have any experience with that 'TV recording stuff' -- even though I have plenty of experience with cassettes, making mixed tapes etc.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Recording Main Themes and End Credit Suites "through the air" with the whole family condemned to silence, because the TV set didn't have a audio out connection. Oh, yeah, I do remember that.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You didn't connnect a wire to the speaker?
    listen to more classical music!
  6. Thor wrote
    Yeah, I saw KUNG FURY when it went viral a year ago or so. Very fun "experiment", tailored for my generation. Was there ever a 'soundtrack'?

Digital Kung Fury album:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 … ar-strip-0

Extra "lost tapes" tracks:
    https://mitchmurder.bandcamp.com/album/ … lost-tapes
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. sdtom wrote

I'm not quite sure I get you here, Tom. In the early 80s my parent's tv set did not have any audio out connection. The set that eventually replaced it had a five pin DIN socket for audio out and we also got a stereo tape deck and that was a big step. Till then I placed a simple cassette recorder with an on-board microphone in front of the tv speaker and recorded the music. smile

EDIT: I think I understand now. Ha, firststly I never knew about that possibility. Secondly I originally did not have a tape deck to connect a wire to and thirdly I prefer not to imagine my father's reaction had his 10 year old son embarked on disassembling his tv set. biggrin
  8. Before I got serious into film music, I did that exact same thing with the radio hit parade of that time, every week. I still remember some of my brothers accidental screams during some of those 80s hits I really wanted on tape. It was hilarious and frustrating at the same time. biggrin crazy
  9. Home Alone (25th Anniversary edition)

Disc 2 only. Bliss... the upgraded sound has turned this from a good score to a excellent one.

Red Sonja - Morricone

The Perseverance release. Great little score, I like Ennio in this mode ! cool
  10. NP: The Finest Hours - Carter Burwell

Burwell's 2016 begins as strongly as his 2015 was. An enjoyable score this one with the 10-minute "Safe Harbor" being a strong ending to the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - John Williams

The Force is wide awake in this score.

Volker
  12. NP: Serengeti darf nicht sterben / Serengeti Shall Not Die (1959) - Wolfgang Zeller

Zeller is a controversial composer due to compositions he contributed for propagandist films and events during the time of the Nazi regime.
    Even so I welcome the release of this great score. It's vintage Golden Age.

Volker
  13. NP: Bridge of Spies (2015) - Thomas Newman

The CD arrived today. First listen. I like tremendously what I am hearing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016
    NP: BIOSHOCK (Gary Schyman)

It's a fascinating score (much of the dissonance is reminscent of Goldenthal) for a game I've never played, but I attended Schyman's seminar in Krakow a couple of years ago, and he showed us some scenes from the game with his music.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016 edited
    NP: ANY WEDNESDAY (George Duning)

Duning was almost 60 when he did this in '66 (he lived to be 92), but it still has some smokin' good tracks -- cocktail lounge for light comedies.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. MY ALL AMERICAN - JOHN PAESANO

Very good ! The Goldsmith influence is VERY evident in the more energetic cues. I don't listen to a lot of new scores, but this is rousing stuff, if not always original. But if one writes in the tradition of one of the best composers that ever lived, that's more than enough for me.

Recommended by Thomas, which reminds me... Bro check your review, track titles are strangely incomplete. I know, because I just purchased a copy. smile

Link to correct titles
  15. That's funny, I thought those track titles on Thomas' review were weird, but when I got the score they were the same and I looked up the tracklist at two different sources, and they all agreed with things like "Texas Vs" and "Visit From". dizzy So thanks for posting the full list!

Figured that would be a score you'd like. wink
  16. I like it even more now that the track titles are 50 % more complete. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    sdtom wrote

I'm not quite sure I get you here, Tom. In the early 80s my parent's tv set did not have any audio out connection. The set that eventually replaced it had a five pin DIN socket for audio out and we also got a stereo tape deck and that was a big step. Till then I placed a simple cassette recorder with an on-board microphone in front of the tv speaker and recorded the music. smile

EDIT: I think I understand now. Ha, firststly I never knew about that possibility. Secondly I originally did not have a tape deck to connect a wire to and thirdly I prefer not to imagine my father's reaction had his 10 year old son embarked on disassembling his tv set. biggrin

Just saw this and my father had a look of horror when he came home and saw that I had taken the chassis out of the cabinet. Of course as you know now the speaker picks up the signal only. Heh it is how I became interested in Hans Salter. I made up names for the cues such as the wolfman defrosting, the danger signal, etc. As I grew older and began to play trombone in the band I wrote sheet music so I could play the music from all of the Universal horror movies which I still enjoy to this day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm now listening to Serengeti thanks to Volker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    City of Joy - E Morricone

Indian
  17. NP: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi - Lorne Balfe

This is turning out to be more enjoyable than I anticipated originally. Balfe manages to get a good balance between action and atmosphere. And the sound he creates is definitely bedded with the security team protagonists rather than with the location in which the story is set.
  18. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That's funny, I thought those track titles on Thomas' review were weird, but when I got the score they were the same and I looked up the tracklist at two different sources, and they all agreed with things like "Texas Vs" and "Visit From". dizzy So thanks for posting the full list!

Figured that would be a score you'd like. wink

I thought those track titles were weird as well, but checked every single site I could, and every site presented them like that. Even several stores

thanks anyway

And good to hear you really liked it wink
    one of my favourite scores of last year smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh