• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2016
    I can, but I'm a film music nerd. No normal person can. And that's a huge shame, given the subject matter. As I've always said, fuck Marvel. (The closest they've got to a recognisable theme is arguably Silvestri's Avengers theme... but even that's a stretch for many.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gods of Egypt (aka not Ben Hur) Marco Beltrami

JNH's Huntsman has the best highlights, BFG is growing on me, but this remains the most epic. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...and a massive soft spot for Jablonsky's Turtles theme. love
  1. Steven wrote
    I can, but I'm a film music nerd. No normal person can. And that's a huge shame, given the subject matter. As I've always said, fuck Marvel. (The closest they've got to a recognisable theme is arguably Silvestri's Avengers theme... but even that's a stretch for many.)

yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    This seems like a hard compilation for an Australian to come across -- it's not in the US or the Australian iTunes store. :/

I listen to it on Spotify.

Ah, cheers ! Good idea -- I keep forgetting about Spotify
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. The Return of the King (complete recordings) - Howard Shore

lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Return of the King (complete recordings) - Howard Shore

lick

Let us know in 2020 how it went.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2016
    Steven wrote

Yeah, Avengers is the most memorable...just.

Marvels most memorable themes still remain in TV land, 1960's cartoon Spiderman and the piano theme from 1970's The Incredible Hulk. These days composers are spoon fed temps etc etc but a lot of them don't have the chops for a memorable theme anyway, in my imaginary world the untied hands of the likes of Jerry Goldsmith and Basil Poledouris would be scoring Marvels films.

p.s. John Barry did a great and memorable score for Marvel character Howard The Duck giving Howard a great heroic theme but the film, though IMO very watchable rightly tanked, no "normal" people would be able to hum that memorable theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2016
    NP: VERTICAL LIMIT - James Newton Howard

Starting to believe that this is one of his best works. When it comes to mountain-climbing I'm completely inexperienced but I would like this to be playing if I ever did go for it.

cool
  4. Steven wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Return of the King (complete recordings) - Howard Shore

lick

Let us know in 2020 how it went.

Indeed.
    I've owned this for nine years. I think I've listened to it from beginning to end once.
  5. NP: Thor: The Dark World (2013) - Brian Tyler

This is a fun score in an simplistic easy listening kind of way. No symphonic endeavour that will echo through the ages. But it's fun if you are in the right mood.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2016 edited
    NP: ARMAGEDDON - Trevor Rabin & Harry Gregson-Williams

Don't ask. I'm fucking steaming drunk and this actually sounds quite good. At least there's a worthy use for it...

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2016
    It's a great, bold, LOUD score was th balls of brass, and I love it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. You sound like Thor on an early Sunday morning, Martijn. wink
  7. Praising a score for being loud and full of brass? I don't think Thor would ever say something like that, no matter how sloshed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think the captain rather referred to my odd turn of phrase, which sadly was not induced by orgiastic imbibement, but rather by my continous mistake of trying to post -with butterfingers- using my 'predictive text'-enabled mobile devices.

Lord, for a moble phone with a proper keyboard again. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the main theme for ARMAGEDDON is awesome, but I've never been able to sit through the whole thing, even back when I owned the score CD.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. NP: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Tyler Bates

The action cues can be a bit jarring IMO. Other than that this is a solid symphonic space opera romp with some genuine highlights.

Volker
  9. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir - Bernard Herrmann

Lovely.
  10. Thor wrote
    I think the main theme for ARMAGEDDON is awesome, but I've never been able to sit through the whole thing, even back when I owned the score CD.

If you mean the official CD, that is missing half the score, and I think you'd greatly prefer the missing half as it is by Jablonsky and Gregson-Williams and shares some aspects with scores you've expressed enjoyment of. The Rabin stuff, not so much.
  11. I think Thor greatly prefers Rabin to Gregson-Williams though, if I recall correctly. So between that and his aversion to lengthy/complete releases, I'm afraid your recommendation, though well-intentioned, will fall on deaf (tinnitus-inflicted?) ears. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I do prefer Rabin to Gregson-Williams, but if the 'missing half' contains more calm material, I'd be up for a combo of the official CD and those calm cues, arranged into a fluid listening experience by some knowledgeable person.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA TORTUE ROUGE (Laurent Perez Del Mar)

One of the very best scores of the year! You MUST hear this; it's out on Quartet and perhaps even on Spotify. Delerue-ian lyricism, gorgeous choirs and melancholic string harmonies. Why this hasn't become a "buzz item" in film music circles already, is beyond me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Jerry Goldsmith

I've conducted some scientific analysis into the score, using a bunsen burner and a set of pliers, and I've just put the calculations through my home computer and it tells me that not only is the first 62% of this score absolutely bloody brilliant, the remaining 38% is equally good. I'm going to save the results onto a floppy disk and bury it in my garden for future generations to discover in the year 1988.
  12. Thor wrote
    I do prefer Rabin to Gregson-Williams, but if the 'missing half' contains more calm material, I'd be up for a combo of the official CD and those calm cues, arranged into a fluid listening experience by some knowledgeable person.

I am good at both fluid listening experiences and knowing things about the Armageddon score, although I'm not quite sure particularly what would most appeal to your taste. Moulding the complete score back down into album length does sound like a fun project just because the complete score is just way too much but the official album is missing some of the best material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I could provide a set of parameters, at least.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Southall wrote

I've conducted some scientific analysis into the score, using a bunsen burner and a set of pliers, and I've just put the calculations through my home computer and it tells me that not only is the first 62% of this score absolutely bloody brilliant, the remaining 38% is equally good. I'm going to save the results onto a floppy disk and bury it in my garden for future generations to discover in the year 1988.

beer
  14. Southall wrote

Water it every week with some Miracle-Grosmith and maybe there will be a sequel score years later.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016
    justin boggan wrote
    Southall wrote

Water it every week with some Miracle-Grosmith and maybe there will be a sequel score years later.

It already has a prequel.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016
    Thor wrote
    NP: LA TORTUE ROUGE (Laurent Perez Del Mar)

One of the very best scores of the year! You MUST hear this; it's out on Quartet and perhaps even on Spotify. Delerue-ian lyricism, gorgeous choirs and melancholic string harmonies. Why this hasn't become a "buzz item" in film music circles already, is beyond me.

It is on Spotify. I'll check it out Thor.