• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2016 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Hook and failing to get very far into it (never seen the movie and there's not much in Williams' score that I really enjoy).

HOOK is a mess of a film, saw it once and have no intention of seeing it again. I'm also with you on Williams score though there are a few great highlights.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Cujo - Charles Bernstein

Bernstein's score adds to the cuteness of the dog but doesn't really help much in making the St. Bernard seem threatening. A nice enough score, but nothing special.

Anyone know if the expanded version adds anything to the 30-minutes available on this promo?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, sword and sorcery fantasy anyway. Things like Gods of Egypt not counting.

I like it better than the Danna borther's Camelot. And I like that one a lot.

But are you suggesting you like it more than Conan the Barbarian or KRRRRUULLLLLL???? uhm shocked

No, no. I meant to say, GoT6 is one of the best Sword and Sorcery scores since The Lord of The Rings. Although I hear there isn't actually much sorcery in Game of Thrones, but I don't know that for sure.

There are plenty such scores from yesteryear that I love, such like Mists of Avalon, Merlin or Knights of the Round Table. You may also count scores for Ray Harryhausen films.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2016
    The knights of the round table
    They dance whenever able
    They do routines in all the scenes
    The footwork impecc-able
    It's a busy life in Camelot
    I have to push the pram a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Hook and failing to get very far into it (never seen the movie and there's not much in Williams' score that I really enjoy).

HOOK is a mess of a film, saw it once and have no intention of seeing it again. I'm also with you on Williams score though there are a few great highlights.

The film has a magical, gripping first twenty minutes....and then, once they reach Neverland, falls completely apart.
    But how anyone could dislike the magnificent score is beyond me! It's one of Williams very best, most creative and diverse work in the 90s. Utterly spellbinding and chockfull of fantastic themes. Hooknapped, Flight To Neverland, Presenting the Hook, You're The Pan....all absolute Highlights in Williams' oeuvre.

I'm with you on the film, but to dismiss the music is in my opinion doing it a great disservice!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Hook is a bit too operatic for my tastes. Maybe that's because the material was originally intended to become a musical. I may have liked a stage production better than the film. I sure would have liked to see Williams for ones walk the Andrew Lloyd Webber path. As Martijn said, the film is a mess.

This is one of the cases when I prefer the original album over the C&C release. The original album presents you with almost all necessary highlights and makes for a well rounded listening experience. The C&C release is great for archival reasons and for it's production values. The technical (source) problems of the release never really bothered me. As a listening experience it's just too much for me.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote

This is one of the cases when I prefer the original album over the C&C release. The original album presents you with almost all necessary highlights and makes for a well rounded listening experience.

I'm with you there.
    No interest at all in listening to the C&C.

I also agree on the operatic quality, but rather than a distraction to me it's a plus!
    I loath musicals (with 3 or 4 exceptions) and am impartial to opera...but give me an album of Wagner overtures or non-singing bits from the Ring and I'm happy as Larry!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. This time I am with Martijn. Hook is one of the most magical scores ever written, basically. My memories of discovering it 12 years ago on an ancient pre-smartphone-era iPod while on walks are some of the fondest musical memories in all my life. Particularly every time the main theme plays is just pure bliss.
  5. Captain Future wrote
    No, no. I meant to say, GoT6 is one of the best Sword and Sorcery scores since The Lord of The Rings. Although I hear there isn't actually much sorcery in Game of Thrones, but I don't know that for sure.

People say that, but then there are dragons, anti-dragon Illuminati-types, frequent resurrections, magical vagina-smoke-assassins, an entire race of magically created ice zombies, and I could go on for a very long time. It's not so much that there is not a lot of sorcery, as that the common people in the world are presented as not realizing that there is sorcery. Which is mainly because they are dumb. As common people generally are in stories.
  6. NP: ReCore - Chad Seiter

I repeat...this is an excellent score. Almost at the quality level of Giacchino's early Medal of Honor scores. I said almost so don't freak out wink Seiter really ought to get some film projects. He's far closer to Giacchino's talent level than most of Zimmer's pupils are when they start getting big Hollywood assignments.
  7. Hook is one of William's greatest scores, no doubt about that. I remember I played the CD to death back then. It was part of my A-level preparation soundtrack. smile
  8. NP: Peter Pan (2003) - James Newton Howard

This is a nice companion piece for Williams' Hook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    The film has a magical, gripping first twenty minutes....and then, once they reach Neverland, falls completely apart.
    But how anyone could dislike the magnificent score is beyond me! It's one of Williams very best, most creative and diverse work in the 90s. Utterly spellbinding and chockfull of fantastic themes. Hooknapped, Flight To Neverland, Presenting the Hook, You're The Pan....all absolute Highlights in Williams' oeuvre.

I'm with you on the film, but to dismiss the music is in my opinion doing it a great disservice!

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    HOOK is very underrated. Despite the schmalzy nature of certain scenes, the production design, music and general conceptualization is so intoxicating. Like a stage-shot Golden Age movie with 90s clarity and detail. I dig it, and I actually prefer the Neverland part over the beginning.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. There is a great cast and some great acting, I give you that.
    The overall consistency script wise and the visual concept of the lost children place is lacking.
    Most of all the "skateboard-bad-boys" metaphor is way to in-the-face for me. The concept of the Rufio character is a trivial disaster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't know; I like the Fleming/Sirk/Hawks-ian melodrama it sets out to do -- something Spielberg does very well -- even if goes overboard on a few occasions (like that cringeworthy scene with the girl singing "When You're Alone"). But I absolutely ADORE the visual concept of everything related to Neverland!

The film is a bit like Burton's PLANET OF THE APES. Fantastic conceptualization, but littered with plot holes, hammy acting etc. HOOK doesn't have plot holes and only elements of hammy acting, and it's a better film than PLANET, but it doesn't get the credit it deserves. By far.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LAST VEGAS (Mark Mothersbaugh)

Never seen the show (or is it a film?), but I dig Mothersbaugh's score. Lotsa funk, but also a great deal of straightforward, melodic orchestral writing.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Last Vegas, if I remember correctly, is the "retired" version of, essentially, The Hangover, starting Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, Robert de Niro and... was it Kevin Kline?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Last Vegas, if I remember correctly, is the "retired" version of, essentially, The Hangover, starting Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, Robert de Niro and... was it Kevin Kline?

Yeah, seems to be that -- from looking at the iTunes cover. Quite a line-up. I should probably check it out.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Star Trek Beyond (2016) - Michael Giacchino

They say, this is thinly orchestrated.
    They say, there are no proper themes and the music goes nowhere.
    They say, the action music is generic and boring.

It may be for my bad taste in music but this score floats my boat on a high tide.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016
    "They" are idiots!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016
    Rush - Hans Zimmer

Has gradually become one of my favourite Zimmer scores. It’s just ridiculously entertaining from start to finish. The many short cues actually work in favour of making the whole listening experience speed by. Love those two main themes.
  12. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Star Trek Beyond (2016) - Michael Giacchino

They say, this is thinly orchestrated.
    They say, there are no proper themes and the music goes nowhere.
    They say, the action music is generic and boring.

It may be for my bad taste in music but this score floats my boat on a high tide.

smile Volker

How can anyone say there are no proper themes? The gorgeous Yorktown theme is one of the best things Giacchino has written since Lost!
  13. Thor? I believe this is your cue? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016 edited
    Nah. I'm too hung over to give a shit.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Actually I wasn't thinking so much of Thor here. I can accept when someone isn't captured by some composer's music.

I happened upon the JWFan forum thread concerning Giacchino replacing Desplat as the composer of "Rogue One". While the thread was generally entertaining and somewhat informative, I was annoyed by one certain "White Knight" who kept preaching how Giacchino was the lesser composer than Desplat and that everybody who really - like himself - know about music, agrees on that.

While I believe that the question, who is the better composer, as such is unanswerable, I also believe that Desplat chooses a more intellectual approach to his music. (Comparable to 70s Goldsmith, Rosenman, Myrow or later Goldenthal). There is no reason to believe that Giacchino would not be capable of such an approach. (Just listen to "Jupiter Ascending"). He simply choosed a more accessible style for a mainstream merchandise film. (Trek) Accessibility does not mean lack of depth or triviality. While the music is instantly pleasant it reveals it's multiple qualities with repeated listens. IMO.

smile Volker
  15. I agree with you, Volker, but I'm really not sure that Jupiter Ascending supports an argument for a more intellectual Giacchino (certainly not compared to the gentlemen you mentioned). It's just as "superficial" in style (if you will; I'd rather not, but I'll run with it) as his Trek scores.

I think Lost supports the notion of a more intellectual, daring side to Giacchino a bit more. But honestly he's just not all that outside-the-box a composer. And for Star Wars, that's absolutely fine. It ain't broke...don't fix it! wink
  16. NP: Lost, Season Four (2009) - Michael Giacchino

This is the only CD in my collection out of that franchise. I never saw a single episode and so I probably can't fully appreciate the music. Still, Edmund, I see, what you are talking about.
  17. NP: Deep Blue (2005) - George Fenton

Exemplary TV nature documentary scoring. Except, that I can also easily imagine an heroic space adventure against this music. smile

Edit: The "Surf and Sand" cue accompanies a cantina scene. biggrin

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2016
    NP: AIR FORCE ONE - Jerry Goldsmith

Goldsmith was a master of simplicity. I can't think of many other composers who can sustain an eight minute cue (The Hikacking) using the same couple of motifs and never sound boring.

cool