• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Dead Calm - Graeme Revell

More sound design that musical score. "Slaughterboat" is an unusual beast.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2016 edited
    NP: JOURNEY - Austin Wintory

Now this is what I call a re-discovery. First time I heard this my reaction was a bit 'meh'. But now...

Wow. This is gorgeous stuff. But it's music you really need to carefully listen to. It's delicate, detailed, nuanced stuff.

Love it. cool
  2. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Lost, Season Four (2009) - Michael Giacchino

This is the only CD in my collection out of that franchise. I never saw a single episode and so I probably can't fully appreciate the music. Still, Edmund, I see, what you are talking about.

The final season 6 disc really ought to be in your collection if you appreciate season 4. It contains the greatest pieces of Giacchino's career by far, at least in my opinion, as a Giacchino (but not Giacchino sound people) fan...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2016
    ReCore - Chad Seiter

This seems pretty good, but I'm never going to make it through 98 minutes.
  3. NP: The Return of the King (2003) - Howard Shore

Being the third part of the legend of the War of the Ring and the End of the Third Age as retold in the Red Book of Westmarch.

Oh, and this music is just stunning. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pacific Ramin Rim Djawadi

One of the best RC scores ever written. I'm struggling to think of a better one?
  4. What is your criteria for "RC score"? Does it include Zimmer's stuff? Powell's? (Even if it doesn't, I can certainly think of several that I'd put above Pacific Rim...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I suppose things like Zimmer's Nolan scores don't really count, as they feel more personal. But yeah... anything that's RC. I assumed Powell left before it became RC.
  5. In that case...taking out Powell scores (and Harry Gregson-Williams as well, even if he never strayed quite as far from RC)

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    Steamboy
    King Arthur (or is that one still Media Ventures?)
    Angels & Demons
    The Lone Ranger
    Transformers
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    Planes
    Puss in Boots
    The Da Vinci Code
    The Dark Knight (may not count as RC)
    X-Men: First Class
    The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
    Your Highness
    Eddie the Eagle
    Interstellar (may not count as RC)
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    Wreck-it Ralph
    Gulliver's Travels
    Home
    Free Birds
    Kingsman
    Planes: Fire and Rescue
    Kung Fu Panda 3
    Rush
    Sherlock Holmes
    Megamind

are all, more or less off the top of my head, RC scores that I enjoy more than Pacific Rim. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016
    Steven wrote

One of the best RC scores ever written. I'm struggling to think of a better one?

Backdraft. End of discussion!

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. "Agatha" (rejected score)
    By: Howard Blake

The original recording, not the re-recordeding suite by Carl Davis. Unreleased.

An old fashioned orchestral score in the veing of a 1970's or early 1980's mellowdramatic work. Replete with all the standards of lush strings, woodwinds, harp, even a little glockenspiel, and the professionalism you'd come to expect from Blake.

The tagline to the film reads (as stated on IMDb):
    A fictional solution to the real mystery of Agatha Christie's disappearance.

The proiduction companies include Warner Bros., so perhaps La La Land can make this happen one day.

Indeed, the music somehow seems to fit the bill is a way even apart from it you'd think it might go to something like this if you did not know where it came from.

There's plenty of mystery, suspense, moments of tenseness and even a little dissonance, as well as a few wonderful dreamy cues with melodic harp, xylophone, light use of glockenspiel, and various woodwinds.

If I had to fault this score for anything, it's the odd and un-fitting use of a theremin in some cues, make it sounds like like a cheesey science fiction film at times. Thankfully those cues are rare.

There's one dramatic cue with snare and staccato trumpets in quick bursts with the snare, interspaced with some dramatic music of the themes in the score.

The score concludes with two wonderful cues: a slow and short sorrowful piece with strings, followed up by an over six minute end credits piece that opens on a somber note, before picking up with the major theme of the score and building it up beautifully from mournful to wistful, then pausing breifly and giving us new orchestral ideas of the score not heard elsewhere in the film.

It's a wonder he didn't score more. Heck, I think he would have been a prime choice for a "Columbo" movie. I assume hye's retired, as he hasn't scored anything since 1999.

As I posted in another thread about a month ago, Carl Davis re-recorded some cues years ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtZx16Ivpv8

It's fairly faithful to the original, but changes some things, loses some of the strength of the original recording, added new dramatic flourishes not in the original, and goes to heavy on the timpani. A small part of the end credits is featured. The dreamy harp/xylophone/glockenspiel piece(s) is not featured and neither, thankfully, is the theremin.

Blake talks about what happened at length on his site:
    http://www.howardblake.com/music/Film-T … AGATHA.htm
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

wink

-Erik-

Backdraft is, if anything, an MV score, not an RC one. (And it even predates MV! Otherwise, I'd have definitely included it and about 15-20 other 90s Zimmer scores...)
  8. Wow Edmund your list sent me on a wild ride between agreement and "are you crazy??" and back and forth again...from AWE which is my all time favorite in complete form, to Planes which I thought was deeply mediocre and unmemorable.

I'll spare everyone the indepth analysis of his list, I think I like RC more than is generally socially acceptable on this forum wink
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

wink

-Erik-

Backdraft is, if anything, an MV score, not an RC one. (And it even predates MV! Otherwise, I'd have definitely included it and about 15-20 other 90s Zimmer scores...)

Doesn't *really* predate MV as MV was created as a company specifically to produce Rain Man. And since Hans has already done stuff here and there with Mancina (Days of Thunder namely)... and Bruce Fowler is part of the team it could be counted as such... but even then, shouldn't.

Technically speaking though, Media Ventures existed at the time. It was just 2-3 people at the time (Nick Glennie-Smith always shows up somewhere), but it's still the Media Ventures that existed even before HGW, Powell and Greenaway joined.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Wow Edmund your list sent me on a wild ride between agreement and "are you crazy??" and back and forth again...from AWE which is my all time favorite in complete form, to Planes which I thought was deeply mediocre and unmemorable.

I'll spare everyone the indepth analysis of his list, I think I like RC more than is generally socially acceptable on this forum wink

Wow, really, Planes didn't do anything for you? I agree that maybe the body of the score isn't that spectacular, but that main theme! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: ABZÛ - Austin Wintory

First listen but I like very much what I'm hearing!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

wink

-Erik-

Same fucking thing! He just changed the name when Zimmer and the original partner filed lawsuits against each other.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Haha, absolutely. So what would be considered the last 'MV' score and the first 'RC' score then?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The lawsuit was filed in 2003. I think the name was changed in 2004.

-Erik-
  11. Yes the main theme to Planes is great. I just feel that Pacific Rim with its kickass 5 minute main theme and several other strengths is clearly a superior score than something with naught but a two minute theme and a bunch of generic action music. Bit these things are totally subjective smile

Also it's kind of scary how constantly and long Nick Glennie-Smith has been turning up. And how he doesn't seem to age or change at all. Secret film music vampire?? Is he the real reason why RC is obsessed with imitating Zimmer rather than creating their own identities?
  12. LSH wrote
    Haha, absolutely. So what would be considered the last 'MV' score and the first 'RC' score then?

I always think of King Arthur as the last MV score (big themes, big action music, big fun, a bit silly) and Batman Begins as the first RC score (brooding, dark, pretentious, short on themes, takes itself way too seriously). That's the big divide for me. Power anthems to the left of me, ostinatos to the right. And yeah, I know it's the same company, but the shift in name makes for a useful way to mark the shift in style. Of course, there are MV-ish scores that happened after the switch to RC (Transformers is kind of a best-of-both-worlds thing, and of course the second and third Pirates scores).
  13. I feel like the third Pirates score is totally it's own unique thing not only in MV/RC's history but in the entire history of film scores. Never have the electronics and the symphonic bits been so majestically and seamlessly welded together, never has the thematic development been so (pointlessly, cause the plot is so dumb) rich and complex. It's good enough to be almost (I said almost! please don't hurt me or say mean things! wink) on the level of the Star Wars and Rings scores. I don't say that lightly and would laugh if that was said about any other Zimmer or RC score. Please note I am only saying this about the complete score, not the score as it appears on album which is woefully inadequate and missing two of the three strongest cues in the entire score, bizzarely.

Also it appears technically the first lawsuit was filed in 2003 so that would be when MV became RC, but the scores of course are not composed immediately before they are released in most cases so King Arthur could have well been created when they were still legally Media Ventures.
  14. yeah

Forsooth, this fellow knows of what he speaketh.
  15. Fellow? shame
  16. She's a he? shocked
  17. AAAUUGH!! face-palm-mt biggrin

I'm sorry...it's just so rare on film music forums! You just assume everyone's a "he". shame
  18. No, no -- he profile clearly says "I'm no one", so it should be:

this no one knows of what no one speaketh

You know, just to be confusing.

By the way, I'm nobody.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  19. justin boggan wrote

By the way, I'm nobody.

OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    How do you do, Ulysses?
    I am Spartacus.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  20. No, I'm Spartacus!