• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    No, I'm Spartacus!

Sorry, would have accepted that statement from anyone (and everyone) else, but YOU are already Ulysses.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Those two are Spartacus! Spare me and crucify them!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Wait, I got some cards here, turns out I'm also:

Batman
    The New No. 2.
    The walrus, Coo coo, kachoo
    And maybe the Lindbergh baby.

You are No. 6.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. I'm number 5. I'm alive.

Also I am Captain Future!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    LSH wrote
    Haha, absolutely. So what would be considered the last 'MV' score and the first 'RC' score then?

I always think of King Arthur as the last MV score (big themes, big action music, big fun, a bit silly) and Batman Begins as the first RC score (brooding, dark, pretentious, short on themes, takes itself way too seriously). That's the big divide for me. Power anthems to the left of me, ostinatos to the right. And yeah, I know it's the same company, but the shift in name makes for a useful way to mark the shift in style. Of course, there are MV-ish scores that happened after the switch to RC (Transformers is kind of a best-of-both-worlds thing, and of course the second and third Pirates scores).

Hmm, I still see very little distinction. MV/RC/half-of-everything-else-from-the-past-15-plus-years... all cut from the same cloth.
  4. I think there's a big difference between a pre-Nolan score from Zimmer's stable and a post-Nolan one. The tunefulness has gone way downhill, sadly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016
    ^ Would have happened anyway... name change or not.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Yes...I know...but the name change makes for nice handy oversimplified labeling, no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2016 edited
    NP: EMANUELLE 4 / SAS A SALVADOR (Michel Magne)

cool
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP:Jagged Edge (1985) - John Barry

On YouTube. Totally ignorant of film and score. It seems routine Barry. Nothing that gives me pause though.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    NP:Jagged Edge (1985) - John Barry

On YouTube. Totally ignorant of film and score. It seems routine Barry. Nothing that gives me pause though.

Volker

It is a "lesser" Barry score but I grew to like it, some very dark synth work.

I've ordered the Intrada release, I missed the Varese.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote

Er, wouldn't that be the other way around?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote

Er, wouldn't that be the other way around?

biggrin shame

It is Varese release both times. I missed the original because of world travelling but I did ( and still have ) the lp.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. NP: Opera Sauvage (1979) - Vangelis

The soundtrack of a nature documentary and one of the Greek synth wizard's finest albums.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MAG 7 (James Horner and Fraggle)

I had expected this to be far grittier and more introvert; more like SOUTHPAW and THE 33. Thankfully, it's more outrovert than that, and a more fitting final opus for Horner (regardless of how much is him and how much is Franglen's).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2016
    Steven wrote
    Sicario Jóhann Jóhannsson

One of my favourite films in recent years, surely set to be a classic, with one of my favourite scores in recent years. It's perfect for the film.

It's a bit like if Brad Fiedel's Terminator score was updated for today. This would make a great Terminator score.

Jóhann Jóhannsson is fantastic. are you familiar with his other projects too? solo as well. He has some amazing videos on youtube on his vevo channel. Particularly love his ORPHEE, flight from the city.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think there's a big difference between a pre-Nolan score from Zimmer's stable and a post-Nolan one. The tunefulness has gone way downhill, sadly.

Yes. Pretty accurate division of 'era' there, with king arthur and batman begins. I miss the king arthur days. Love that (type of) score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. justin boggan wrote
    No, no -- he profile clearly says "I'm no one", so it should be:
    this no one knows of what no one speaketh
    You know, just to be confusing.
    By the way, I'm nobody.

It was supposed to be a reference to Rey, who I feel a kinship towards...from the famous Force Awakens trailer. But I know it's kind of vague wink
  10. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yes...I know...but the name change makes for nice handy oversimplified labeling, no?

I was just listening to the complete of Spirit Stallion of the Cimmaron last night and its quite amazing how fast they went from that pure melodic open-hearted 90s Media Ventures party in 2002 to the melodic but much darker King Arthur in 2004 to the completely dark and barely melodic Batman Begins in 2005 to the utterly bleak Dark Knight in 2008. In 6 years Zimmer became a completely different composer, or at least developed a completely new side to himself, from an emotional point of view. I wish he would take more projects that allowed him to stretch his thematic wings again like he did to stunning effect with At World's End. He almost got there with Man of Steel, I think he could have if it wasn't a darn Snyder grimdarkgrayfest.
  11. NP: Deepwater Horizon - Steve Jablonsky.
    It's hard to say for sure but I feel from past comments like Thor might like this. At least the quieter parts. New Jablonsky score, new Salvatori game score, and new Horner and Vangelis classical albums...it is a good day smile

Update: "Home" is a damn fine emotional closing track and a welcome addition to Jablonsky's repertoire. Not sure I've heard anything like that from him before but I'd love to hear some more.
  12. Thor wrote

I had expected this to be far grittier and more introvert; more like SOUTHPAW and THE 33. Thankfully, it's more outrovert than that, and a more fitting final opus for Horner (regardless of how much is him and how much is Franglen's).

Fraggle ...
  13. Captain Future wrote
    Fraggle ...

Die, demon summoner!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Fraggle ...

Yeah, that's what keeps popping into my mind every time I see his surname.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. NP: Mac and Me (1988) - Alan Silvestri

The film being a shameless and terribly executed rehash of E.T. The playful. light hearted and at times rousing score by Silvestri is probably the best thing about this concoction. It doesn't hold a candle to Williams' masterpiece but is an entertaining listen in its own right.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Mac and Me (1988) - Alan Silvestri

The film being a shameless and terribly executed rehash of E.T. the playful. light hearted and at times rousing score by Silvestri is probably the best thing about this concoction. It doesn't hold a candle to Williams' masterpiece but is an entertaining listen in its own right.

Volker

With contemporary eyes, it's a rather shoddy affair, yes. But I have fond nostalgic memories of the film -- one of the few early cinemagoing experiences I remember (I was 11 at the time it came out).
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Isn't that movie basically low-budget E.T. interspersed with thinly veiled McDonalds commercials? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes.
  16. Looks like Thor is saying Fraggle rocks.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yes.

Holy Jesus on a slippery shit pole!!! This is a real film? vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, and would you like fries with that?