• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2016
    Yes, with Opium sauce please.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2016
    NP: MOUNTAIN CRY (Nicolas Errera)

Brand new score for a new Chinese film, I believe. I love what I'm hearing -- slow, lyrical and at times majestic. Another 2016 highlight for me. Errera delivers again (also like his NUIT BLANCHE and SHAOLIN).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Legends of Tomorrow - Blake Neely

Samples on LLL site. I enjoy the show quite a bit but the music seems MV/RC standard fare to me. It's fine in context but I don't seem to need to own this on CD.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Timmer wrote

This is definitely a situation in which it would be helpful. 99/101 doctors agree that fraggles are psychologically harmful. The other two's brains were eaten by fraggles and could not be reached for comment.
  3. Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Timmer wrote

This is definitely a situation in which it would be helpful. 99/101 doctors agree that fraggles are psychologically harmful. The other two's brains were eaten by fraggles and could not be reached for comment.

Didn't Timmer relate to Mac and Me here? BTW I liked the Fraggles when I was little. cheesy

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016
    Cloud Atlas
    Recent discovery of mine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Guardians of the Galaxy - Desplat
    First listen! Saw the movie a while back. Funny.
  4. Decent movie, yeah (nothing special, but it's kind of a shame that when Dreamworks makes something like that which is a little different from what you might expect, it flops, whereas the Madagascar and Shrek and Despicable Me (yeah, not Dreamworks, but whatever) sequels all raked in all the monies. To say nothing of how awful it makes me feel about the world that The Secret Life of Pets made about 20x the money that Kubo and the Two Strings did despite the latter being kind of wonderful. Am I ranting? I'm ranting, aren't I? Okay I'll stop.)

The score, I think, is one of Desplat's best.
  5. Bregje wrote
    Cloud Atlas

The score is good, the recording sounds amateurish.

Volker
  6. Bregje wrote

I think you mean Rise of the Guardians Bregje wink

Guardians of the Galaxy is the Marvel film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Rise of the Legend of the Guardians of the Galaxy: The Owls of Ga'hoole - Alexyler Batefelder

Title's too short, but good music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Decent movie, yeah (nothing special, but it's kind of a shame that when Dreamworks makes something like that which is a little different from what you might expect, it flops, whereas the Madagascar and Shrek and Despicable Me (yeah, not Dreamworks, but whatever) sequels all raked in all the monies. To say nothing of how awful it makes me feel about the world that The Secret Life of Pets made about 20x the money that Kubo and the Two Strings did despite the latter being kind of wonderful. Am I ranting? I'm ranting, aren't I? Okay I'll stop.)

The score, I think, is one of Desplat's best.

Had the same feeling about Big Hero 6. Love it. And meanwhile we are surrounded by Minions everywhere. No, they are not cute. They are yellow and ugly and I'm tired of Minions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Cloud Atlas

Volker

Do you mean the sounds you hear with the vocals? I love that for some reason. Rest sounds fine to me as well. What do you hear?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Bregje wrote

I think you mean Rise of the Guardians Bregje wink

Guardians of the Galaxy is the Marvel film

Oops, you're right. Haha!
  8. Bregje wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregje wrote
    Cloud Atlas

Volker

Do you mean the sounds you hear with the vocals? I love that for some reason. Rest sounds fine to me as well. What do you hear?

There's an unusual amount of stage noise in there. Check out the first few seconds of "Death is Only a Door". Chairs creaking, what sounds like the musicians shuffling around...that take is no good, they should have stopped and started over. Or else tried to edit that stuff out. Certainly not put it on the album.

It's not really a big dealbreaker thing, but it's a little distracting and, yeah, amateurish.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Yeah that! cheesy I like it.
  9. uhm ...well, to each their own I guess!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016 edited
    NP: FORBIDDEN WARRIOR (Mike Verta)

Sounds like late 80s/early 90s John Williams channeled through contemporary action stylings; for this 2004 martial arts movie. Few, if any, composers out there are better at emulating Williams than Verta.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Captain Future wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    Timmer wrote

Didn't Timmer relate to Mac and Me here? BTW I liked the Fraggles when I was little. cheesy

Volker

As soon as Fraggles appeared I got a furious one-track mind determined to rid this thread of their taint regardless of whether anyone was still talking about them... biggrin kill
  11. Bregje wrote
    Cloud Atlas

One of my all-time favorite films, I love the Wachowskis unique compassion for the human condition that is on display in their recent projects like this and Sense-8. And that main theme is gorgeous. Makes the climax of the film absolutely soar, when it just as easily could have been a confusing mess as it attempts to bring together 6 disparate plots separated by hundreds of years.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future."
    - Sonmi-451
  12. NP: Project Moon Base - Herschel Burke Gilbert

It's always a joy to hear a score use a theremin. There's something about this short score that made it very appealing from the start, despite there being a lot of sub-45 second tracks,
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Thor wrote
    NP: FORBIDDEN WARRIOR (Mike Verta)

Sounds like late 80s/early 90s John Williams channeled through contemporary action stylings; for this 2004 martial arts movie. Few, if any, composers out there are better at emulating Williams than Verta.

Great score with a brilliant theme.
  13. NP: Destiny - Rise of Iron - Michael Salvatori & Random People

The bad news: it's still painfully missing the expert guiding hand of Marty O'Donnell whom Activision were utterly insane to force out of Bungie. They will never find a better composer for the "mysterious ancient history in space"-evoking scores their games always need.

The good news: it's a huge step up from The Taken King and at least feels like a worthy follow-up to the legacy of the original Destiny score and all the various Halos. Choral majesty, wistfully hopeful melodies, and kick-ass electric guitar riffs abound, which is exactly what most people come to these scores to get, as opposed to the B-rate action/horror of the previous entry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Few, if any, composers out there are better at emulating Williams than Verta.

There aren't a lot of composers out there that write in that style but the ones that do are excellent at it. Guys like Kaska, Talgorn, Boyer, the Star Wars video game composers lead by Mike Griskey, Lennie Moore, Kyle Newmaster, and Gordy Haab are fantastic composers!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Collage - James Horner

Mild disappointment that The Magnificent Seven is merely "pretty good" rather than the glorious career swansong I had been hoping for is rather mitigated by this album, which really is magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2016
    ^ Nice album with some bizarre sequencing and odd selections. Aliens doesn't really fit with the tone of the rest of the album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Mild disappointment that The Magnificent Seven is merely "pretty good" rather than the glorious career swansong I had been hoping for is

I liked it but didn't expect too much. It's not like Horner expected the end was coming but I had hoped he'd up his game considering what an incredible classic Bernstein's score is. Still, it's hard to say what he'd have written for the final cut.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. NP: The Magnificent Seven - James Horner & Simon Franglen

Like The Force Awakens, this one in a slow burn by virtue of being denser, subtler, and more thoughtful than expected. On the fourth listen it already "feels" twice as theme-rich as it did on the first, because the themes, save one, aren't written to jump out at you, but they're all the stronger and more addictive for it. I can see myself continuing to return to this for a very long time, and not just for sentimental reasons.

Please, God, let Franglen get a ton more work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Morgan Joylighter wrote

Please, God, let Franglen get a ton more work.

Really? uhm The non-Horner'y bits are what let it down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: QUO VADIS (Miklos Rozsa)

The Nic Raine/Prague re-recording. Fantastic music, but I can travel to Rome and back before the album finishes. It's probably not the right version for me.
    I am extremely serious.