• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2016
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (James Horner)

I think I prefer this over Elfman's scores (which is saying much, given my love of Elfman), but what kind of feedback did it get from us film music fans and critics? I can't remember.

I LOVE theme but not much else. Elfman's first two scores are still superior in every way, shape and form. I'll even take Chris Young's contribution to the terrible third picture over Horner. Actually, I even prefer Zimmer's sequel score over Horner's.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like the first half of the album, but then it eventually wears itself out. I like a lot of Horner's long albums, but this one would have benefitted from some serious trimming. Still, I put it slightly behind the Zimmer score, and slightly ahead of the Elfmans.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. For some inexplicable reason I love the music as presented in the film, really powerful stuff and a good effective vibe. But heard away from the film I can't get into it. Maybe it has to do with how it's mixed in the film compared to how it's mixed on the album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BEYOND BORDERS (James Horner)

I dig this. More in the exploratory vein, but still with Horner's cool use of ethnic instruments, and even a couple of trademark, heartwarming themes. The "suite by country" aspect is cool too.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    I like the first half of the album, but then it eventually wears itself out. I like a lot of Horner's long albums, but this one would have benefitted from some serious trimming. Still, I put it slightly behind the Zimmer score, and slightly ahead of the Elfmans.

I think most of the REALLY good stuff is in the second half of the album, actually. But then again, that's action music, so what else should I have expected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

I think most of the REALLY good stuff is in the second half of the album, actually. But then again, that's action music, so what else should I have expected.

Yes, the action music wears me out -- it's rather 'samey' after 40 minutes. But there is some in the first half too. I wouldn't mind some of it -- in fact, it's necessary for a score like this -- but I think there's a smokin' hot 45 minute album in here somewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. 1. Main Title/Young Peter
    2. Becoming Spider-Man
    3. Hunting for Information
    4. The Ganali Device
    5. Metamorphosis
    6. Rooftop Kiss
    7. Lizard at School!
    8. Saving New York
    9. I Can't See You Anymore
    10. Promises/End Titles

Total Time: 41:50

This wouldn't be my preferred edit (it's missing too much action towards the end and I don't much like "I Can't See You Anymore", it's very languid and kills the score's momentum stone dead), but maybe you'll like it. I tried to give a good balance between the action, the "mystery" stuff and include the best statements of the main and love themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks, Edmund. I'll try it out!
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I'll try that one too. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2016 edited
    MISSION TO MARS

I read today that traveling to Mars would take no more than 30 minutes with currently existing laser technology.

If that's true, then a spacecraft will have gone to and come back from the red planet in the time that I hit play and let this score play to its end.

I find that pretty mind-boggling. shocked

Oh, and this is a real gem, which isn't mind-boggling at all, because it's by Morricone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Wind and the Lion - J Goldsmith

Good grief.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2016
    NP: AMERIKA (Basil Poledouris)

It's no doubt a great score, bleak and all, but it's at least 30 minutes too long. This is the Prometheus release (in digital version). Anyone know if there's a shorter, more succinct release out there?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2016 edited
    NP: Gods of Egypt - Marco Beltrami

I've had it for a week or so. It's EXACTLY what I expected it to be. A mix between Goldsmith and Silvestri's MUMMY scores with nods to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA all meshed together with Beltrami's distinct voice. it's melodic, exciting, old fashioned, romantic, adventurous. This might very well be one of the best scores Beltrami has produced! Beautifully recorded by John Kurlander! Another candid for great score, shit film!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

I've had it for a week or so. It's EXACTLY what I expected it to be. A mix between Goldsmith and Silvestri's MUMMY scores with nods to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA all meshed together with Beltrami's distinct voice. it's melodic, exciting, old fashioned, romantic, adventurous. This might very well be one of the best scores Beltrami has produced! Beautifully recorded by John Kurlander! Another candid for great score, shit film!

-Erik-

I have high expectations for this as a long-time Beltrami fan. It sounds quite exciting from your descriptions too (yes, I do enjoy an old-fashioned, classical score now and then).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MAPS TO THE STARS (Howard Shore)

I didn't care for the film, but I like the soundtrack. Wonderful textures.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I see you and I'll raise you... cheesy

NP: BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS (James Horner)

I didn't see the film, but I love the soundtrack. Wonderful themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2016
    NP: DEADPOOL (Junkie XL)

Funky samples, breakbeats, retro electrostuff, haunting strings and whatnot. Love it!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. It makes almost zero impact in the film. One wonders why they even bothered with a score at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Haven't seen the film yet. Looking forward to it, though, from what I've read and seen in advance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I have high expectations for this as a long-time Beltrami fan. It sounds quite exciting from your descriptions too (yes, I do enjoy an old-fashioned, classical score now and then).

OK, I've had a listen. Some individual tracks that were OK, but mostly this did absolutely nothing for me. Noisy and grating, with tons of directionless bombast. Disappointed. Here's hoping Beltrami gets to do something a bit more lowkey next.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2016 edited
    NP: Gods Of Egypt:
    Absolutely fantastic score in a classic vein -melodic, clever, rousing, massively orchestral, thematic- the likes of which are incredibly rare today.(Erik is absolutely right though if the critics are to be believed: the film is absolute pants).

But don't let it deter you from taking in the score: in the ocean of drossy soundscaping with drums that is the current score scene today, this is beyond a breath of fresh air: it's a lifeboat, a zephyr, an island with fresh water and coconuts. Coconuts? A three-star restaurant! With an indigenous beauty giving you a backrub after dinner!
    Really, this already stands out as the score of the year, and there will have to be some VERY strong contenders indeed to budge it from its place.
    What a fantastic start of the year.

JP: Deadpool:
    Yeah.
    No.
    Junkie is rapidly becoming the next Tyler Bates (although Bates actually made one or two actually good scores). There is nothing of value here, musically, emotionally, craft-wise, idea-wise. I would go so far as to say his work is getting to be truly disingenous: it's the Emperor's new clothes. We are being tricked -by massive marketing campaigns and social media offensives- to accept that this is the New Way of things.
    It's the epitome of post-modernism: there is nothing here that conveys or supports anything. It is sound for sound's sake. A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Hey Thor!
    Imagine meeting you here! wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....how is it like over there, on that other planet?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    We're all fine down here, thank you. How are you?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good. Working hard on removing generic drivel like GODS OF EGYPT out of our systems.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I understand. You are certainly not alone in your drive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Perfectly worded reviews of Gods of Egypt and Deadpool, Martijn.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I just listened to Beltrami's SEVENTH SON too -- another huge disappointment (the film, of course, is crap). Now that I think about it, I haven't really enjoyed a Beltrami score since 2008 (THE HURT LOCKER and YUMA) and not REALLY, REALLY enjoyed a Beltrami score since 2002 (I AM DINA, ALTAR BOYS). Sad development for what was -- and I guess still is -- one of my favourite film composers of his generation.

He used to be such an original voice, always adding a sense of melody and 'deliciousness' in the orchestration, even in genre films (I don't like horror scores, but I did enjoy most of his!). Lately, it's been all about anonymous, generic, overblown Hollywood bombast. Ah, well. Here's hoping!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I will wait for the physical CD. Or is this on Spotify? This seems to be another "Jupiter Ascending"? (Thor hates it, everyone else loves it? Great score, poor film)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    He used to be such an original voice, always adding a sense of melody and 'deliciousness' in the orchestration, even in genre films (I don't like horror scores, but I did enjoy most of his!). Lately, it's been all about anonymous, generic, overblown Hollywood bombast. Ah, well. Here's hoping!

You're a card, Sir. A card!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE YOUNG MESSIAH (John Debney)

THIS is much better -- in terms of Egypt-like scores. Debney extends on his gorgeous pallette from the PASSION score. Cool world music vibes and percussion, duduks and voices (dated, yes, but I can't get enough!) and painting in broad strokes. Hardly a cymbal crash in sight! Perfect.
    I am extremely serious.