• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2016
    NP: ABSOLUTION (Stephen McKeon)

A highlight of Nordic scores last year, mostly just strings fluctuating between a few chords, but with very spiritual underpinnings. Very "Max Richter" in LEFTOVERS-mode.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: A Monster Calls - Fernando Velazquez

I officially declare Velazquez to be one of the greatest new-generation talents in the entire world of film music. Between this, The Impossible and all his slightly lower-key work, it's obvious he is a master of the kind of film score they just don't write anymore....filled to the brim with passion and barely restrained symphonic frenzy.

This is also the best recording I've heard in 2016 (sound quality, mixing, etc).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Velazquez is brilliant, but I'm a bit worried about the eventual foray into Hollywood trends and tropes -- a feature that seems to hit most Spanish composers moving over there (Banos, Jusid etc.). Let's hope he will be able to maintain his own identity to a greater extent.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Sundown - Richard Stone

This is such an enjoyable score. A great title theme, full of western exuberance.

Indeed! It's one of a couple of albums I bought based on the excellent 1993 Vampire Circus collection CD.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    Velazquez is brilliant, but I'm a bit worried about the eventual foray into Hollywood trends and tropes -- a feature that seems to hit most Spanish composers moving over there (Banos, Jusid etc.). Let's hope he will be able to maintain his own identity to a greater extent.

Well, he's definitely completely on form here. Not the slightest hint of Remote Control or trailer music anywhere. I think it will help that he is sort of moving up along with a whole Spanish film crew (Bayona's) into the very pinnacle of big budget Hollywood for Jurassic World 2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Sundown - Richard Stone

This is such an enjoyable score. A great title theme, full of western exuberance.

Indeed! It's one of a couple of albums I bought based on the excellent 1993 Vampire Circus collection CD.

Same here beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2016 edited
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: A Monster Calls - Fernando Velazquez

I officially declare Velazquez to be one of the greatest new-generation talents in the entire world of film music. Between this, The Impossible and all his slightly lower-key work, it's obvious he is a master of the kind of film score they just don't write anymore....filled to the brim with passion and barely restrained symphonic frenzy.

This is also the best recording I've heard in 2016 (sound quality, mixing, etc).

I'm so excited to hear this one!

NP - SWALLOWS AND AMAZONS - Ilan Eshkeri

This is a fun little score.
  3. NP: AKIRA (1987) - Yamashiro Shoji

Magical. As is the film. A true science fiction classic.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. NP: X-Men: The Last Stand (2016) - John Powell

Out-Stand-ing!
  5. Captain Future wrote
    NP: AKIRA (1987) - Yamashiro Shoji

Magical. As is the film. A true science fiction classic.

Volker

The film is good. But the manga series is really something special. It has a grandeur and depth of feeling that didn't make it into the film.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    NP: X-Men: The Last Stand (2016) - John Powell

Out-Stand-ing!

O John Powell, where art thou... cry
  7. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    O John Powell, where art thou... cry

Wherever he is, I imagine he's insisting on another layer of orchestration.
  8. NP: Quo Vadis (1951/2012) - Miklos bow Rozsa

This. Is. Film. Music.

Volker
  9. The only thing that compares to that final IMO is the ending of Mahler's second symphony.
  10. NP: Mimic - Marco Beltrami

A solid 30-minutes this. Can anyone say whether the score is able to support Varese's deluxe edition treatment?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. NP: Maniac - Rob Coudert

There's some cracking synth tracks to be found on this score but, as with a lot of synth scores, I am not really getting much of an emotional connection with the music. It's just a collection of catchy synth ideas.

Saying that, it's still a very good album.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. NP: Pet Sematary - Elliot Goldenthal

No time to listen to the complete version and so listening to the 30-minute Varese version. An effective and creey score this one. And it's interesting to hear an early Goldenthal score before he really developed his characteristic style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2016
    Those are three solid scores in a row, Alan. MIMIC is one of Beltrami's best; the original Varese release is perfectly arranged. MANIAC was one of my favourite scores last year (unlike you, I got an immediate emotional connection to the hooks and riffs), and PET SEMATARY is probably the scariest horror soundtrack I know and own -- even if I hardly ever play it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GLASSDUKKENE (Svein Schultz)

My own 25-minute programme of the material Svein sent me, for this Norwegian urban thriller directed by Nils Gaup. Smooth synth textures, moody guitars etc. Dig it.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    MANIAC was one of my favourite scores last year (unlike you, I got an immediate emotional connection to the hooks and riffs)

I certainly do enjoy it, so I must have some sort of an emotional response to it. But, I don't really get the same emotional experience as I would with a more conventional (orchestral?) score where there's action scoring mixed in with the more obviously (to me at least) emotional pieces.

Rob's album would certainly be one of my favourite synth albums: most of them have very catchy 'hooks and riffs' and the choice of synths fits in with the kind of synths I enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2016 edited
    Yeah, I guess it boils down to a matter of background and preference. For me, this kind of music has just as much impact (sometimes even more) than more conventional affairs. Certainly goosebump-inducing the first time I heard it.

Speaking of which, Rob's score for MADE IN FRANCE is one of my 2016 favs; it's quite similar in style to MANIAC. At least in parts.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Thor wrote
    My own 25-minute programme of the material

My own 25-minute programme of the material

MY OWN 25-MINUTE PROGRAMME OF THE MATERIAL

omg

SACRILEGE!
  15. Thor wrote
    Speaking of which, Rob's score for MADE IN FRANCE is one of my 2016 favs; it's quite similar in style to MANIAC. At least in parts.

Not had a chance to listen to this one yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...Edmund, just because I'm not a record producer or know how to make proper albums, doesn't mean that I'm unable to go for the second-best solution, i.e. a playlist. Especially in this case, when you just receive a bunch of cues with no order whatsoever.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2016 edited
    The Matrix Reloaded Don Davis and Co.

Few things beat riding a motorbike while listening to this.
  16. Steven wrote
    The Matrix Reloaded Don Davis and Co.

Few things beat riding a motorbike while listening to this.

Suddenly for the first time in my life I want to get a motorbike. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Girl on the Train - Danny Elfman

I hated this stupid book (cannot believe it was popular) but at least some good's come of it, which is this very unusual, quirky, creative score which certainly won't be for everyone but I think it's great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Girl on the Train - Danny Elfman

I hated this stupid book (cannot believe it was popular) but at least some good's come of it, which is this very unusual, quirky, creative score which certainly won't be for everyone but I think it's great.

The film doesn't seem to be getting great reviews.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2016 edited
    NP: Earth vs. The Spider - Albert Glasser

A great sense of peril and dread once the spider appears. And you can't go wrong with a bit of theremin.

"Get That DDT In Here Quick!" is a stand-out track title!
  17. NP: House On Haunted Hill - Don Davis

A couple of great opening tracks but the score, although being good, never really lives up to those 2 tracks. A great title theme and love the use of the organ.