• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Presentation Trumps content.
    That does ring a bell.

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2016
    Arrival JJ

Challenging, to say the least.
  1. I think it's one of the most creative and daring scores this year.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2016
    I need to hear it in context before I can judge it as a score. It doesn't really work for me on album. Fortunately, the film looks amazing so I'll probably go to see it soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2016
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think it's one of the most creative and daring scores this year.

Swiss Army Man is creative and daring... Arrival... not so much.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Ooh, drones! So daring in this day and age!

rolleyes
  3. Le Corsaire - Hector Berlioz
    Suite from The Sea Hawk - Erich Wolfgang Korngold; Charles Gerhardt
    Cutthroat Island: It's Only Gold / End Titles - John Debney
    Suite from The Crimson Pirate - William Alwyn / Rumon Gamba

Swashbucklingly brilliant! biggrin

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2016
    NP: Nocturnal Animals - Abel Korzeniowski

It's a good score but not outstanding like his other scores: A Single Man, Romeo & Juliet and WE. Maybe it's working great in the movie, I don't doubt that, and it's tehnically perfect, but it lacks the emotional resonance that his other scores had.

Still Abel Korzeniowski remains my hope for the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree, Cristian. That one didn't connect with me at all, unlike most everything else he's done in the past. But I'll be seeing the movie in two hours. I have no doubt it works wonderfully in context.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Star Trek: Generations McCarthy

I so rarely listen to this as in my mind I seem to unfairly subconsciously file it as a lesser 'Star Trek' score but listening to it now there's a kind of mellow nostalgia and nobility I really like about it, must dig it out more often.
  5. John Chambers wrote
    Star Trek: Generations McCarthy

I so rarely listen to this as in my mind I seem to unfairly subconsciously file it as a lesser 'Star Trek' score but listening to it now there's a kind of mellow nostalgia and nobility I really like about it, must dig it out more often.

I'm a big fan of that score. I'd like to see Ron Jones also get a shot at a Star Trek feature film someday.

Volker
  6. Ennio Morricone 60 Years of Music

So this is the compilation of recordings made during the maestro's recent live tour. Overall I find the sound a bit underwhelming on first listen. There are other live recordings that - at this point - I would prefer. Some cues, especially "On Earth As it is in Heaven" features some strange mixing and needs some getting used to. Not a bad album by all means, but also no revelation.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think it's the first non-live recording of his concert arrangements, though nobody seems to know if it was recorded in studios or these are just rehearsal recordings or something. I think it's nice to finally have the concert recordings of The Mission and Queimada in particular without the audience noise and applause. I really don't understand the four old recordings seemingly arbitrarily pasted at the end - considering his concerts usually last 2.5 hours I'm sure they could have found more than an hour of music to record for this album. Still, I'm glad to have it.
  7. These are not actually live recordings? Indeed there is no audience noise. But the booklet states the recordings were made in Prague, Dublin, London, Cologne, Antwerp, Amsterdam and Wroclow. So I assumed they assembled takes they made while on tour.
  8. Beneath the 12 Mile Reef Herrmann

Such a great score, it sounds great for such an old score but I'd love to hear a modern rerecording some day to really revel in the detail of the orchestrations. Love the Gerhardt conducted suite too.
  9. Something that Varese or Tribute might have done in the past. As it is the age of re-recorded soundtrack albums seems to come to an end. Sadly.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2016
    Captain Future wrote
    Something that Varese or Tribute might have done in the past. As it is the age of re-recorded soundtrack albums seems to come to an end. Sadly.

Help us Tadlow Music... you're our only hope!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Yeah, well, James Fitzpatrick more or less announced his retirement for next year over at FSM. Maybe Prometheus?
  11. Captain Future wrote
    Something that Varese or Tribute might have done in the past. As it is the age of re-recorded soundtrack albums seems to come to an end. Sadly.

Volker

Indeed, looking back I'm just incredibly grateful for all the great albums we got from Varese, Tribute and others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah, well, James Fitzpatrick more or less announced his retirement for next year over at FSM. Maybe Prometheus?

I just saw that! I can't believe we are coming to the end of re-recordings. I mean, Tribute has been wanting to do more but they have no money. Varese last release... the 1985 comp. recording was solid but poorly marketed. Chandos doesn't do as many anymore.

I guess there go my hopes for a re-recording of Prince Valiant. sad

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Snow White & The Huntsman / The Huntsman: Winter's War JNH

A playlist of the highlights for anyone who's interested:

1. Snow White
    2. Escape From The Tower
    3. You Failed Me Finn
    4. Sanctuary
    5. White Hart
    6. Death Favors No Man
    7. Coronation

8. The Huntsman
    9. You're Carrying His Child
    10. The Children Arrive
    11. You Shouldn't Walk In Shadows
    12. Freya' Spell
    13. Tavern Brawl
    14. Goblin King
    15. The Goblin Fight
    16. We Are Worthy of Each Other
    17. This Is My Kingdom
    18. Ravenna's Embrace

1:02:51
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    Yeah, well, James Fitzpatrick more or less announced his retirement for next year over at FSM. Maybe Prometheus?

shocked
    W...w...w...what?
    shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Chandos doesn't do as many anymore.

What was Chandos last release? It's been so long now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. The Rozsa album 2014. (Baghdad, Jungle Book, Sahara, Ben-Hur)
  13. Steven wrote

1. Snow White
    2. Escape From The Tower
    3. You Failed Me Finn
    4. Sanctuary
    5. White Hart
    6. Death Favors No Man
    7. Coronation

8. The Huntsman
    10. The Children Arrive
    12. Freya' Spell
    13. Tavern Brawl
    14. Goblin King
    15. The Goblin Fight
    17. This Is My Kingdom
    18. Ravenna's Embrace

Cool, I'm gonna try this. Both scores are frustrating as they have amazing highlights with hard work in between, this might be just the ticket, thanks Steven!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Chandos doesn't do as many anymore.

What was Chandos last release? It's been so long now.

Their Rozsa album
    https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/CHAN%2010806

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote

1. Snow White
    2. Escape From The Tower
    3. You Failed Me Finn
    4. Sanctuary
    5. White Hart
    6. Death Favors No Man
    7. Coronation

8. The Huntsman
    10. The Children Arrive
    12. Freya' Spell
    13. Tavern Brawl
    14. Goblin King
    15. The Goblin Fight
    17. This Is My Kingdom
    18. Ravenna's Embrace

This is for both movies, right?

I'm interested in giving it a shot (I don't have either of the scores), but I'm worried that your playlist might be too heavy on action material given our different preference in things.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. It's not actually; neither score has all that much in the way of action music in the first place, and in any case that's not really the main attraction here. (Actually, I was kind of surprised by the lack of "Warriors on the Beach" in Steven's playlist, pretty much the only quibble I have given I think it's the best action cue from either score; personally, I'd add it and remove "The Goblin Fight" since a lot of that one is a reprise of "Escape from the Tower" - otherwise it's a very good summation of both scores).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016
    NP: PROMETHEUS (Mark Streitenfeld)

The more I listen to this, the more I like it -- beyond the HGW "Life" theme. The film, of course, was the best film that year. But it's taken some time to get into the score on album.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    The film, of course, was the best film that year.

"of course" lol