• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: PROMETHEUS (Mark Streitenfeld)
    The film, of course, was the best film that year.

An aggressively mediocre film in its own right, and inferior to most of the films 2012 gave us.
    But I too enjoyed the score. I'll give you that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016
    Prometheus is anything but mediocre. It ranges from moments of brilliance to many more moments of frustrating tripe. It's a beautiful, fascinating mess of a film. I love and hate it.
  2. Yes, I can relate to what Steven said. One thing I really hate about the film is Streitenfeld's distinctly amateurish "compositions". Any generic assembly of library music would have done better.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I quite like Streintenfeld's score. The surgery scene is a particularly memorable cue, at least in terms of tone. But HGW's theme is clearly the best thing about it. Shame he's not returning to score the sequel. It would have been the first film I wanted no one but HGW to score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016 edited
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it a masterpiece (I'll reserve that for something truly beyond special), but there's no doubt in my mind that the film was -- without competition -- the best film of 2012. I'm not blind to some flaws, but they're mostly inconsequential to the true values of the film. I'll defend it vehemently to the day I die, and I'm prepared to use angry rhetorics towards all naysayers! wink But hey -- we've discussed this topic ad nauseum before.

I was also not particularly impressed with Streitenfeld's score at first (on album, in the film it was fine), but it's growing on me. There are a lot of really creepy-beautiful passages, and an envelopping sense of mystery in the textures. I'm starting to think it's really underrated.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AGE OF CONAN: HYBERION ADVENTURES (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

See, I can listen to muscular action/adventure scores now and then. This is superb, and I'm proud to call Knut a friend!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Man, there were just so many better movies in 2012. The Master, Amour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2016 edited
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Man, there were just so many better movies in 2012. The Master, Amour.

THE MASTER didn't do much for me. But AMOUR clocked in at my 5th place. Great movie!

Unfortunately, I did not have a complete MUBI list in 2012 (I only started doing those in 2014), but I have a Top 20 and some honourable mentions here:

http://montages.no/2013/01/arets-beste- … p-20-2012/

(I would probably have amended it a bit today; the first HOBBIT movie should be a bit further down than 2nd -- I absolutely loved it, but that's a bit too high).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Padre Pio - Ennio Morricone

Very beautiful indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2016
    NP: THE INSIDER (Lisa Gerrard and Pieter Bourke)

Such an exquisite score for a film I found dreadfully boring.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Arrival Jóhann Jóhannsson

I must like it as I keep returning to it. The regular album seems better than the so-called 'complete' version, despite being a similar length. Very odd. Anyway. I suspect this works extremely well in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It does.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Steven wrote
    Arrival Jóhann Jóhannsson

I must like it as I keep returning to it. The regular album seems better than the so-called 'complete' version, despite being a similar length. Very odd. Anyway. I suspect this works extremely well in the film.

must be me, found it utterly boring. The kind of "sound" I hate, it makes me numb of any emotion. Perhaps exactly what the film needed, but I disliked it from start to finish.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You can hardly be blamed. It's not exactly something I'd recommend to people who, you know, like music. This is more sound design; tone over melody. But it does its job well, as far as I can tell from the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2016 edited
    I'm listening to this devastatingly gorgeous arrangement of a theme from LOST. It's by a musician named Paul Cardall and his story is incorporated in into the video. He was born with a congenital heart defect that nearly killed him in 2009. He got on a donor list and waited about a year before having the life-saving operation. A couple months before his transplant his brother tragically died. You see footage of the two of them as children at the 2:36 mark (right when the music really swells). During that time in his life he was watching LOST and profoundly affected by the music. Oh man, I've got to tell you, this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. It was lovely when Giacchino composed it originally, but this arrangement just elevated it so much for me. Check it out!
  5. Steven wrote
    You can hardly be blamed. It's not exactly something I'd recommend to people who, you know, like music. This is more sound design; tone over melody. But it does its job well, as far as I can tell from the album.

reading the review of Jon it makes sense to "accept" it I guess, but still ...
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. NP: The Thief of Bagdad - Miklos Rozsa

The recently released re-recording, Tadlow for Prometheus. Nic Rain conducts a most impressive performance by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus. The mix is crisp and clear.
    I appreciate that Prometheus offers songs and cues with vocals (and sometimes voice overs) as instrumental versions. So all tastes are served.
    Also of note are the informative liner notes by Frank K. DeWald.
    With Ben-Hur upcoming next year James Fitzpatrick will have an outstanding body of work to look back upon when he finally goes into retirement. Especially but not exclusivity with regard to the heritage of Miklos Rozsa.

Volker
  7. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah that's how I feel. Undoubtedly it's a smart and innovative score in many ways, but no amount of rationalization and analysis is ever going to make me actually like this approach to film music.
  8. Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Thief of Bagdad - Miklos Rozsa

The recently released re-recording, Tadlow for Prometheus. Nic Rain conducts a most impressive performance by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus. The mix is crisp and clear.
    I appreciate that Prometheus offers songs and cues with vocals (and sometimes voice overs) as instrumental versions. So all tastes are served.
    With Ben-Hur upcoming next year James Fitzpatrick will have an outstanding body of work to look back upon when he finally goes into retirement. Especially but not exclusivity with regard to the heritage of Miklos Rozsa.

Volker

I noticed that choosing to replace the songs with instrumental equivalents could be an option and providing that choice is heartily appreciated. Probably my first job when I order and receive this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Thief of Bagdad - Miklos Rozsa

Volker

I noticed that choosing to replace the songs with instrumental equivalents could be an option and providing that choice is heartily appreciated. Probably my first job when I order and receive this.

I believe I will keep the playlist as it is and keep the bonus cues as extras. I may change my opinion with repeated listens though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah that's how I feel. Undoubtedly it's a smart and innovative score in many ways, but no amount of rationalization and analysis is ever going to make me actually like this approach to film music.

Well, yeah. At best, it's only going to make you realise why the reviewer likes it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Undoubtedly it's a smart and innovative score in many ways, but no amount of rationalization and analysis is ever going to make me actually like this approach to film music.

yeah

I can respect this kind of music but I don't love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2016 edited
    christopher wrote
    I'm listening to this devastatingly gorgeous arrangement of a theme from LOST. It's by a musician named Paul Cardall and his story is incorporated in into the video. He was born with a congenital heart defect that nearly killed him in 2009. He got on a donor list and waited about a year before having the life-saving operation. A couple months before his transplant his brother tragically died. You see footage of the two of them as children at the 2:36 mark (right when the music really swells). During that time in his life he was watching LOST and profoundly affected by the music. Oh man, I've got to tell you, this is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. It was lovely when Giacchino composed it originally, but this arrangement just elevated it so much for me. Check it out!

Thanks for sharing Cristopher. Very well done piece. I think also the story and images the video shows, elevate the music to a more dramatic level.
    Kazoo
  10. Arrival is one of my favorites this year, I have to say.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016
    NP: MOBY DICK - Christopher Gordon

Just got back from an invite-only launch of a revamped pub here in Birmingham, came home, cooked a fish pie, pressed shuffle on iTunes, and this came on. Quite perfect. Fish and all...

Drunk but pleased.

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    And also a bit drunk. Oh... I did mention that.

I'm also a bit pissed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Ha!
  11. Bregt wrote
    christopher wrote

Thanks for sharing Cristopher. Very well done piece. I think also the story and images the video shows, elevate the music to a more dramatic level.

I'm glad you liked it. I don't usually enjoy "covers" of film/tv music more than the original, but the full orchestra here, and the personal story just really worked for me on this piece. I found this 5 minutes video more moving than any combination of picture and music I've seen in cinemas this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    LSH wrote
    Ha!

biggrin

You really seem to be a master now in the bar scene of your city!
    Kazoo
  12. NP: Fantastic Beasts And Where to Find Them (2016) - James Newton Howard

A ground solid orchestral score with some genuine highlights. The Main Theme is an earworm. As usual with JNH the choral cues are of special note.
    I opted for the regular release. Though I would like to check out the additional material I think this 70 minutes presentation is really fine. ****

Volker