• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I opted for the regular release. Though I would like to check out the additional material I think this 70 minutes presentation is really fine. ****

Volker

As a single listening experience the regular album certainly is the one to go, but do check out the additional bonus cues of the limited edition individually. A Man and his Beasts and End Title Pt. 2 contain the overall best renditions of the main theme, while Kowalski Rag is a fantastic suite of the jazz theme in which that idea is fully explored (which is, if you ask me, the best individual composition of Fantastic Beasts).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016
    Allied Alan Silvestri

Christ on a bike this is dull.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2016
    Southall wrote
    Allied Alan Silvestri

Oh dear! The film doesn't look that enticing either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2016
    Southall wrote
    Allied Alan Silvestri

I think I made it halfway through before giving up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2016
    Southall wrote
    Allied Alan Silvestri

Probably THE most disappointing score of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2016
    Bregt wrote
    LSH wrote
    Ha!

biggrin

You really seem to be a master now in the bar scene of your city!

It's pays to know people in the world of alcohol, believe me.

Also, myself and a friend of mine are in the early stages of starting our own brewery. We both realised that we are sick of dealing with actual drinkers so ultimately decided to make the stuff instead.
  1. NP: Doctor Strange (2016) - Michael Giacchino

Via Spotify. Standard Giacchino it seems. MG references his Star Trek Theme in the first track which is a bit irritating. Those last cues are really great. Overall, even though I am a MG fanboy, I don't require this physically in my collection. Streaming online will do.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2016
    'Supernova' from Supernova Olivier Deriviere

My favourite Deriviere track. Just superb. Shame about his most recent outing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2016
    Poltergeist II Jerry Goldsmith

'Reaching Out' is classic Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2016 edited
    NP: ALLIED (Alan Silvestri)

Dull is the word, yes. There are some period jazz songs, which are OK if you like that sort of thing, but the score proper doesn't really go anywhere. I also dropped the press screening yesterday -- this was supposed to have been a big, interesting war film and score from Zemeckis and Silvestri, but it turned out to be something completely different.

For the record, I really like FLIGHT (both film and score), so I have nothing against subdued Silvestri. But this was no FLIGHT.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. "The Neon Demon" (Cliff Martinez)

Well ... didn't take long to dump this shit. Life's too shot for this.

Thor probably loves it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2016
    justin boggan wrote
    "The Neon Demon" (Cliff Martinez)

Thor probably loves it.

'Love it' is putting it mildly -- it's one of the very best scores of the year, maybe even the best. "The Demon Dance", in particular, gives me equal amount of bliss, awe, wonderment and melancholy. Must have played it about 50 times.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2016
    justin boggan wrote

Thor probably loves it.

It's a really solid score. I have to echo Thor concerning The Demon Dance. One of my favourite cues of the year!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Thor probably loves it.

It's a really solid score. I have to echo Thor concerning The Demon Dance. One of my favourite cues of the year!

-Erik-

Excellent electronica!
  4. NP: The Thorn Birds (1983) - Henry Mancini

Love. Unattainable. Forbidden. Forever. Sigh.
    Great music though.

wink Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2016
    Angels in America - Thomas Newman

This is damn fine. Damn fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016
    In my top 3 Newman scores. A very fine collection of everything he's good at, IMO.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2016
    Agree! Agree! Agree!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Thief of Bagdad - Miklos Rozsa

The recently released re-recording, Tadlow for Prometheus. Nic Rain conducts a most impressive performance by the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus. The mix is crisp and clear.
    I appreciate that Prometheus offers songs and cues with vocals (and sometimes voice overs) as instrumental versions. So all tastes are served.
    Also of note are the informative liner notes by Frank K. DeWald.
    With Ben-Hur upcoming next year James Fitzpatrick will have an outstanding body of work to look back upon when he finally goes into retirement. Especially but not exclusivity with regard to the heritage of Miklos Rozsa.

Volker

I noticed that choosing to replace the songs with instrumental equivalents could be an option and providing that choice is heartily appreciated. Probably my first job when I order and receive this.

I kept the songs but changed "The Market" for the orchestral version. Those narrative overdubs took me out of the listening experience.

V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2016
    Same. But man, what an amazing score! And such a lavish new presentation!
  6. Indeed yes! For both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2016
    Aside from the Seaman's Song I have to say the 2016 interpretations of the songs did very little for me (I by FAR prefer the Bernstein FMC ones: those really hit the style and tone of the 1940s)), so I edited all of them out and substituted the instrumentals.

What a marvellous thing to hear.
    As many additional re-recordings I would still have liked to see as well in my lifetime, I'm so glad this one slipped in before James Fitzpatrick takes his leave.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2016
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard

I am struggling to connect with this one. It is good, but I certainly don't get the "hype" for it. Far from being one of the best Harry Potter scores but also not the weakest. I connected with Desplat's two scores more even if i'm not a big fan of them (I am only a big fan of the first and third HP score). This one has a certain "heavyiness" about it that I am struggling to connect with. Also not a big fan of the Maleficent-like choir and that it feels so inconsistent in some ways, like trying to be RCP-ish in some moments but mostly not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I have no problem with Fantastic Beasts. It worked well within picture and is a great stand alone listen.
    For me it'a one of the best scores of the year. Right up the top section of the list!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Atham wrote
    I have no problem with Fantastic Beasts. It worked well within picture and is a great stand alone listen.
    For me it'a one of the best scores of the year. Right up the top section of the list!

Oh, I am sure it works well in context and I like it most of it as a listen, I just don't think it is great listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not a great album. Great score, poor album presentation. And there are a couple of SUPERB cues left off the standard release that are only available on disc 2 of the deluxe edition like "A Man and His Beasts" and the second part of the end credits. Another poorly produced album from Watertower; the makers of the dreadful The Hobbit score releases.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - James Newton Howard

Yes! Themes (many), melodies, orchestral, emotion, fun, romance, sadness, magic. This is what I want from a film music score. JNH gave us exactly that. My favorite score of the year.
  7. Washu, my first listen of Fantastic Beasts left me with the impression that it was a functional score with some strong highlights, but Jon Broxton's excellent review over at moviemusicuk helped me appreciate it more. I think with repeated listens, and being able to identify the various themes, that this will end up one of the best scores of the year in my estimation.

NP: MOANA - Mark Mancina

Not too impressed with this one. Too many short tracks, and no big moments that really made me sit up and take notice.
  8. I'll have to check out the additional cues eventually. As it is I am delighted with Fantastic Beasts. It's right up my alley.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016
    I really like it but what pulls it back for me (on album) is the lack of a truly soaring, self-contained, extended development of any of the themes - there are tracks where that kind of happens but usually leads into something else rather than being fully resolved in itself. If it's true what people say and those tracks are actually only on the deluxe edition (which I don't have) then that's really annoying.