• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    I really like it but what pulls it back for me (on album) is the lack of a truly soaring, self-contained, extended development of any of the themes - there are tracks where that kind of happens but usually leads into something else rather than being fully resolved in itself. If it's true what people say and those tracks are actually only on the deluxe edition (which I don't have) then that's really annoying.

Yeah, but isn't that JNH's general style of scoring? As it is of many other current composers? Also I think that score albums have become byproducts rather than distinctly conceived products in themselves. The album is edited from the scoring sessions. There is no music recorded specifically for the album. Therefore there are no concert suites of themes. As the isolated score for me is the musical abstraction of the film I tend to like such albums. But I can see why those who prefer score concept albums like Goldsmith, Williams, Horner and others developed in the 70s and 80s, don't like them so much.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016
    I really like those old albums and realise we're not going to get another of them for a long time (if ever) but JNH has until very recently recorded at least one cue just for the album. The real frustration is if they do exist and were only put on the deluxe edition (whether recorded just for the album or not), which is incredibly frustrating.

Anyway...

Sleepers John Williams

Not one I often listen to, but this is very fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Sleepers John Williams

Not one I often listen to, but this is very fine.

It is indeed. And so is the film (I rewatched it a few months back). The score is probably as 'modern' as Williams gets.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: The Fury (1978) - John Williams

The album recording. It's not that I wouldn't like those concept recordings too. The one I'm listening to is a prime example.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OUTLANDER - SEASON 2 (Bear McCreary)

I really love the first, baroque part of the album. The second, Scottish part drags on for a bit too long, and was also covered sufficiently in the 'season 1' albums.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Fury (1978) - John Williams

The album recording. It's not that I wouldn't like those concept recordings too. The one I'm listening to is a prime example.

Volker

That album is perfect. Still, I like having the original score too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have the 2CD set too (amazingly!), but I think I've played the original score all but once. I haven't even bothered importing it into my iTunes. Everything that only exists, and that should exist to the end of time, is the album rerecording.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yes God forbid someone release an expanded score! Who cares that there are thousands of film score fans who appreciate such releases. Thor doesn't like them, so they SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    They should be wiped off the face of the earth, as should everyone who likes them. GO TRUMP! :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2016
    BALLS TO THE WALL, 5)7this things going to
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FANTASTIC BREASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM
  4. Southall wrote
    FANTASTIC BREASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM

So, you finally know where to find 'em, huh?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I have no idea what you're talking about, why are you making this stuff up?
  5. Happy Birthday!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2016
    Thanks, and to you all, the same.
  6. Southall wrote
    I have no idea what you're talking about, why are you making this stuff up?

Oh, so sorry. I guess you don't know where to find them.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Happy birthday, James. Great to see you do a drunken rampage here -- it's been a while since I had one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: I AM NOT MADAME BOVARY (Du Wei)

New score (unreleased so far) for a Chinese film. Gorgeous stuff, and some interesting percussion bits. Very Tan Dun in places.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. NP: Chariots of Fire (1982) - Vangelis

It doesn't set wings on my heels but surely is plants hope in my heart.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Chariots of Fire (1982) - Vangelis

It doesn't set wings on my heels but surely is plants hope in my heart.

Volker

There's so much more to that soundtrack than just the theme!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016
    Gremlins Jerry Goldsmith

Jerry Christmas to all!

christmas_tree

christmas_reindeer

christmas_drunk

christmas_biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2016 edited
    NP: TRIALS OF THE BLOOD DRAGON (Power Glove)

A computer game I've never played, nor do I have any intention to. But the music is brilliant -- the best computer game score of the year! Gorgeous retro 80s synth hooks and riffs, much like their FAR CRY 3 album. Volker, you'd absolutely LOVE this. Give it a try on Spotify:

https://play.spotify.com/album/7Hm9OgkW … edium=open
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Sounds like a hybrid of Harold Faltermeyer and Tangerine Dream. The world has found redemption. tongue

Really that style of Electronica / New Wave re-surfaces left, right and centre currently. I'm sure the coming summer will feature shoulder pads, white tennis socks and sweatbands. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2016
    I love it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2016
    NP: MUSIC FROM THE HUNGER GAMES SAGA (James Newton Howard)

This Silva(?) set is really all I need from these films -- excellent choice of tracks and performances; practically every cue is worthwhile.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: Henry V (1989) - Patrick Doyle

One of the first film music albums I ever bought, in the year of its release. An enduring masterpiece!

knight Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2016
    NP: BLIZZARD (Mark McKenzie)

Unashamed Hollywood Christmas romanticism, way into kitch territory, but I love it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2016
    NP: TERRITORY (Tuomas Kantelinen)

Such a wonderful, lush score; a shame the tracks (in this promo -- it's unreleased) are all in alphabetical order, and there's no album program to consult for re-sequencing. I'd even prefer chronological over this. :/
    I am extremely serious.