• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Not sure that's a fair assessment of e.g. Kubo and the Two Strings or The Boxtrolls, Thor.

I didn't really care for either of those.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2016 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    "Kundo: Age of Rampant" (2014)

Listening to tracks from this foreign score which is like a modern Morricone western effort, but by somebody named Jo Yeong-Wook.

Sample:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN19_OfRQm0

That "somebody" is only the biggest composer in South Korea (although to be fair, he often functions more as a musical co-ordinator than a composer). KUNDO is excellent, as is his 2016 score for THE HANDMAIDEN -- also one of the best films of the year.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Sort of... check out the front cover of Jurassic Park!

lol

-Erik-

Yeah I saw a picture of that online before it arrived, and yes it's a bit of a bummer, but it doesn't in any way detract or lessen from the rest of the product to me at all. Just listening to 'The Lost World' again now, an absolutely phenomenal release!
  2. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Not sure that's a fair assessment of e.g. Kubo and the Two Strings or The Boxtrolls, Thor.

I didn't really care for either of those.

Boxtrolls wasn't really my thing either but I thought Kubo was a lovely little score. Regardless, I don't see how either of those can be described as Marianelli succumbing to "trends".
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: SALMON FISHING IN YEMEN (Dario Marianelli)

I miss this Marianelli, as opposed to the 'trend' things he's trying to do these days.

Marianelli is most certainly NOT trendy.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I disagree. Ever since THE BOXTROLLS, he's been trying to be someone he's not -- most evidently in the droney EVEREST. KUBO was an attempt to do a more traditional, consonant Hollywood score, but it isn't really him, so it fell between two chairs. I miss the romantic post-minimalist Marianelli -- everything pre-ANNA KARENINA, basically.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... seeing a composer express himself outside of his comfort zone, and be incredibly successful at it, is soooooo disappointing. rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I wouldn't have minded it if he had actually pulled it off. But so far, he hasn't.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. ...sez you. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I wouldn't have minded it if he had actually pulled it off. But so far, he hasn't.

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2016
    NP: DOWNTON ABBEY (John Lunn)

Not all the cues are equally great, and the album is a bit too long, but there are some gorgeous highlights troughout, like "The Fallen", which contains my beloved religious sound. Never seen a single episode of the show, nor do I have any intention to.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Not all the cues are equally great, and the album is a bit too long, but there are some gorgeous highlights troughout, like "The Fallen", which contains my beloved religious sound. Never seen a single episode of the show, nor do I have any intention to.

Saw the first series and bits of others, seriously overrated. Nice score though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Absolutely. Here's the cue in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIag63T … p;index=19
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE YOUNG MESSIAH (John Debney)

It will always be PASSION's little brother, but I love it nonetheless. One of the year's highlights.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2016 edited
    NP: KUBO & TWO STRINGS (Dario Marianelli)

Giving this a second chance, but my original opinion still stands -- a bunch of messy, irritating bombasticism. Perhaps sprinkled with an ubiquitous string ostinato or some oriental flavours. No heart, no soul and very little in terms of engaging melodies. Annoying.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, at least I gave it another chance...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LORDS OF THE FALLEN (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

The orchestral bits from this 2014 computer game. Now this is refined, contemporary 'action/adventure' music I can salute!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2016 edited
    PLANET EARTH 2 | zimmer, shea and klebe

It's very different from Fenton's fantastic scores for the Earth series. The main theme Zimmer composed is just two notes I think, but the whole affair is made very addictive, with an almost trailer-music-like sound near the finale of the track. Soft choir, percussion, brass, ... It is very Zimmery, also in the 2 hours of music that follow. It fits the more spectacle approach within the series itself (only seen half of it) and the big advertisement campaign.

I also like that the main theme is used throughout the score, often very subtle, with great effect in for example Something Worth Protecting. There are some absolutely great tracks like Chinstrap Penguins (supporting a scene beyond belief), Racer Snakes vs Iguanas (I love the deep agressive strings), City Skylines, ... Some of the music reminds me of Thomas Newman too.

I like it a lot but it's a bit long, isn't it?
    Kazoo
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Saw the first series and bits of others, seriously overrated. Nice score though.

The series reminded me rather fondly of Upstairs, Downstairs. I have a best-of album of the series' music which I like quite a bit.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: KUBO & TWO STRINGS (Dario Marianelli)

Giving this a second chance, but my original opinion still stands -- a bunch of messy, irritating bombasticism. Perhaps sprinkled with an ubiquitous string ostinato or some oriental flavours. No heart, no soul and very little in terms of engaging melodies. Annoying.

Derp!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You can 'derp' all you want. Into the trash bin it went -- AGAIN!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AGE OF CONAN: THE SAVAGE COAST OF TURAN & SECRETS OF THE DRAGON SPINE (Knut Avenstroup Haugen)

More Haugen goodness.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Fantastic Breasts

It's good, but too stop-start for my liking.
  6. Quite a bouncy listen though. And perky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    The Fantastic Breasts

It's good, but too stop-start for my liking.

My first impression too. I was fooled by the early Youtube tracks, which promised a far more coherent listening experience. But when I hear the whole thing, it's a bit too much on the mickey-mousey side.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CLOCKWISE (Maciek Dobrowolski)

Gorgeous score. Haven't spoken to Maciek in a couple of years now (since we met in Krakow a couple of years ago); I wonder if he's done any more projects since then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2016
    Thor wrote
    You can 'derp' all you want. Into the trash bin it went -- AGAIN!

How does ANYONE take you seriously?

-Erik-