• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    You can 'derp' all you want. Into the trash bin it went -- AGAIN!

How does ANYONE take you seriously?

-Erik-

Nobody does. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2016
    NP: HOME ALONE (John Williams)

Perfect listening now that we're nearing our summer holidays.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE BON PLAISIR (Georges Delerue)

Beautiful, as always.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. THE TIGER - Jo Yeong-Wook

This is pretty epic. I'm only just finishing my first listen (which took a while given the 2 CD presentation), but after one listen I'm left with the impression that this score should be a big deal, though I haven't heard many talking about it. It's got glorious choral writing, some truly gorgeous cues, some heart-pounding action stuff (though not much of that), and some really epic themes and orchestration. This is great stuff. It's a little too long, but deciding what to cut, other than the odd track that lasts less than a minute, is going to be tough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like Jo (or rather the composers he employ), but I'm a bit skeptical to the 'pounding action stuff' you mention.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BFG (John Williams)

I FINALLY got the CD, about half a year late. Well, my first impressions still stand -- a very whimsical affair with some more coherent tracks. I stand by my opinion that Williams has really only composed ONE great score in the 2010s thus far, and that is WAR HORSE.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The man still outshines 90% of his peers with every single effort.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Thor wrote
    I like Jo (or rather the composers he employ), but I'm a bit skeptical to the 'pounding action stuff' you mention.

There are really only a couple tracks of that out of the 42 tracks on the 2 discs. I would think the length would put you off more than those tracks smile

Thor wrote

I FINALLY got the CD, about half a year late. Well, my first impressions still stand -- a very whimsical affair with some more coherent tracks. I stand by my opinion that Williams has really only composed ONE great score in the 2010s thus far, and that is WAR HORSE.

I think THE FORCE AWAKENS is better, but I would put WAR HORSE just after that.

I just finished playing WAR AND PEACE by Martin Phipps. That's a different score right there. The mixture of traditional Russian choir and modern electronics in the first part of the album was strange, but in an engaging way. It worked for me. The last part of the album had some really lovely music.
  4. NP - A MONSTER CALLS - Fernando Velasquez

Just started my first listen. I'm super excited for this one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

You're truly fucking nuts!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

You're truly fucking nuts!

-Erik-

Erm.... I have to say I sort of agree with Thor, IMO our greatest living orchestral composer just isn't the "force" he was, JW is in my top 5 film composers, I love him to bits but I've been very underwhelmed by all of his post 2010 output, that isn't to say there hasn't been great moments but on the whole I've been disappointed.

I guess that makes me a "bit" truly fucking nuts too. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016
    Post 2010, we've been blessed with The Adventures of Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln (I don't care how boring you think the movie is) and The Force Awakens. All absolutely splendid and incredibly diverse scores! Give your heads a Goddamn shake!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Splendid? Hm.
    Force Awakens was certainly a return to form, but the rest of these barely even cracks the 'honourable mention' bit of his oeuvre. Functional scores, certainly. But fairly immemorable.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    Splendid? Hm.
    Force Awakens was certainly a return to form, but the rest of these barely even cracks the 'honourable mention' bit of his oeuvre. Functional scores, certainly. But fairly immemorable.

shocked omg
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Whistle Rey's theme.

Now whistle the War Horse theme. Or Tintin's theme. Or Lincoln's theme.
    There ya go.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. It is long ago that the whistlebilty of film themes has bee a criterion in my assessment of film scores. Besides, I just found out that I can't whistle Rey's theme spontaneously. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    Whistle Rey's theme.

There ya go.

I did all of them and now I've got Tintin's theme stuck in my head again, thank you very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Whistle Rey's theme.

There ya go.

I did all of them and now I've got Tintin's theme stuck in my head again, thank you very much.

Your bluffing skills are no match for my devastating analytical skills. I recommend against you picking up poker. wink
  7. I'm sure I would recognize themes from War Horse or Lincoln if Inheard them, but I'm afraid I can't recall any off the top of my head. Tintin, though, is a different story. I can instantly recall the fun harpsichord music that plays during the opening credits, the mysterious theme for the Unicorn, and the fantastic theme from "The Adventure Continues."
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Whistle Rey's theme.

There ya go.

Your bluffing skills are no match for my devastating analytical skills. I recommend against you picking up poker. wink

Ha! Now you leave me wondering which would be the more valuable skill to have in a game of poker, analytical skills or the ability to bluff. I'd wager it's the poker face you want if you'd have to choose either.

On a more serious note, having heard none of these scores in a while I have no difficulty reciting War Horse's The Homecoming for the better half of the track, which includes none less than 3 themes, and for Tintin it's easy to recall The Adventure Continues. Neither do I have trouble recalling the main titles, though that asks a bit more thinking, and now that I'm typing I realize I can recall the Thompson's theme by heart as well. Lincoln, on the other hand... you're right, that proves more difficult. However, Rey's Theme... blank as well. I do remember the opening bars, but then... the string section, nope. And I've heard The Force Awakens 2 weeks ago last time (March of the Resistance, though, no problem!).

I sometimes wonder if with maturing age I loose the skill to remember each and every memory, or loose the interest to do so. Same with film knowledge: I used to remember each and every film on release, theatrical or Bluray, and now I'm not sure I'd be able to remember all of them. Or I just don't care as much anymore, having other stuff to worry about. So bottom line, I don't necessarily need to remember themes afterwards, as long as I enjoy and recognize them during listening. At this moment, I can't recall the main Fantastic Beasts theme, as set out in A Man and his Beasts suite, even tough it's the score I listen to the most these days, but I do enjoy it very much. Is remembrance of these themes a signifier of its quality?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    Is remembrance of these themes a signifier of its quality?

While not an objective measure in any way, for me it certainly is. Hell, leitmotivic themes is one of the prime reasons I got drawn into this niche genre in the first place.

Scores that merely -so to speak- work in the film (supporting or enhancing it) can be good. Even great.
    But without clear hooks, motifs or -and that is a sine qua non for me- proper themes, I simply have very little interest in hearing them again, however much art, skill and thought has gone into them (Williams) or however much one shouts that it was really hard work and therefore brilliant (Zimmer).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yet the ability to remember a theme, melody, motive while not listening to the score, might also have something to do with how much repeated listens you've given that theme or how often it features in the work. I can recall awful, hideous songs right now this instance because they keep coming on the radio, while there are brilliant themes I know I know but can't whistle right now. Also because I think the most memorable themes are often the simplest ones, while the most enjoyable or "best" might be more complex ones.

I recently did a film music listening evening with a friend of mine who a few years ago was very much into film music but recently fell out of it so wanted to be brought up to speed, and we concluded modern themes are often a single line of repeated melody, glorified motives, while proper themes contain an A and B part etcetera. Those modern themes are more likely to stick in your head, because it's easier, but I wouldn't prefer them.

But this might be getting into semantics. I know you enjoy immediately recognizable themes, for me I would just formulate it as that: recognizable, as opposed to memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I agree up to a point.
    Even though I INFINITELY prefer a theme in the classic sense (as Williams, Goldsmith, Rozsa, Bernstein, etc. employed them) as it is simply so damn satisfying to have a three-four minute memorable bit of music that follows recognisable patters and imposes itself on the pattern-recognising part of your brain without stomping on it (in short, a "top hit" smile ), I still appreciate a modern earworm -the Tyler/Powell type of single line power motif- over an otherwise skillfully crafted bit of mood texture or mickey-mousing.

But that's just me and my own preference.
    I like quick-fixes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There are only two 2016 themes I could hum on demand - the end title theme from The Light Between Oceans (score of the year by a mile) and the grand, sweeping, epic penultimate cue from The Monkey King 2 (second best score of the year).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can definitely hum Jablonsky's Turtles theme. It's never not in my head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Last Guardian - Takeshi Furukawa

Pretty decent, though it's a struggle to remember anything once it's over.
  8. Southall wrote
    The Light Between Oceans (score of the year by a mile)

sleep
  9. NP: Interstellar (2014) - Hans Zimmer

Enchanting melodies and soundscapes. The combination of electronics and pipe organ is marvellously executed.

Volker
  10. I listened to "The Usual Suspects" today (Ottman) for sutie making pruposes. It's not a bad score, I justed wanted to edit it and re-arrange it into a meat and potatoes listening experience for driving.

I cut it down to twenty-four minutes, edited tracks, crossfaded stuff where it worked and was needed, and had to raise and re-raise the volume on parts of cues because it was recorded/mixed so low. And finally I switched the opening and closer credits around, since the end credits piece had this annoying synth pinging piano-like sounded and that didn't seem a good way to end it all.

It's a good score with some nice highlights and very effective theme in the film and apart.

It's quite remarkable what Ottman achieved considering he wasn't the first composer on it (the original is not known currently), the budget was slim, and the circumstances under which he had to record it. Ottman goes into a lot of detail about the experience on his website. Worth a read if you liek the score and love the movie (he has some other interesting tidbits about the film).

Now I'm on to do the same with "Contract on Cherry Street" (Goldsmith).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.