• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I don't think that Ottman has really reached the same heights as he did with THE USUAL SUSPECTS. I'd always assumed that the opening and closing tracks on the album were switched around from the main and end titles in the movie. I know that I switched those album tracks around when I originally bought the CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Isn't there some doubt about whether Ottman even wrote that score? I've heard rumors that Larry Groupe had a big, big hand in it...
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Isn't there some doubt about whether Ottman even wrote that score? I've heard rumors that Larry Groupe had a big, big hand in it...

Now you mention it, that does ring a bell. But I can't recall the details.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Southall wrote
    The Last Guardian - Takeshi Furukawa

Pretty decent, though it's a struggle to remember anything once it's over.

Here's a brief 'making of' video for the music.

https://youtu.be/3R7WHBJEg6E
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2016
    NP: SNØFALL (Henrik Skram)

Wonderful Christmas score for this Norwegian kiddie series -- Skram at his most 'traditional' so far.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. So disappointed. I thought it would be a Bond parody! sad
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS (Danny Elfman)

This is a far, far cry from the excellence and listenability of the first score/album. It's not only much too long at almost 80 minutes, a large portion consists of a bombastic onslaught of 'whimsical' action tropes. Extremely tiring. Sure, the appearance of the gorgeous "Alice" theme is nice and dandy, but it doesn't help.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BFG (John Williams)

I'm trying again and again, but just like all the other 2010s Williams scores (with a few exceptions), it moves in one ear and out the other without making much of an impact. Come on, Johnny! You can do better.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I haven't listened too much to Williams' efforts in the last few years, but from what I have heard, to me he's moved into that zone that Goldsmith and Silvestri moved into laster career: competant and good sounding, but not particularly memorable or interesting, with few highlights (though an overall good score can happen here and there).

I think the last Williams score I gave a good amount of time to was The Force Awakens. That was my first and last time for it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    I haven't listened too much to Williams' efforts in the last few years, but from what I have heard, to me he's moved into that zone that Goldsmith and Silvestri moved into laster career: competant and good sounding, but not particularly memorable or interesting, with few highlights (though an overall good score can happen here and there).

I think the last Williams score I gave a good amount of time to was The Force Awakens. That was my first and last time for it.

The last time Williams fired on all cylinders for me was waaaaaay back in 2005. That being said, I could probably assemble a decent playlist of selected tracks -- and throw in a couple of shorter concert pieces --that have come out since then, and it would be a good album. In fact, now I've probably inspired myself to do exactly that....
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Have you guys taken into account that artist evolve with time? Also Williams probably doesn't bother with meeting with anyone's expectations other than that of the producers and directors.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    to me he's moved into that zone that Goldsmith and Silvestri moved into laster career: competant and good sounding, but not particularly memorable or interesting, with few highlights (though an overall good score can happen here and there).

You speak as though Silvestri is done scoring films.

NP - THE HERO - Eduard Artemiev

This is, for the most part, a really wonderful throw back to classical dramatic scoring from yesteryear. There are a couple tracks and some orchestral/electronic decisions that occasionally take me out of the listening experience, but most of this is quite good.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Have you guys taken into account that artist evolve with time?

Have you taken into account we all have gone through composer's evolutions and enjoyed them, but with some didn't enjoy certain evolution points?

Also Williams probably doesn't bother with meeting with anyone's expectations other than that of the producers and directors.

Volker

Have you taken into account that doesn't mean jackshit in regards to each person's listening experience?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  10. Yes, I have. Still with Williams - and some few other composers - I seems like their 1975-1990 work is regarded as some kind of absolute standard and that everything that veers away from that is regarded as inferior. It's the same as that boring "I want those old style soundtrack albums back" lamentation.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2016 edited
    I agree with Justin on this one -- especially because the mode of composition Williams has employed in later years is "supposed" to be in style and tone of the 'golden years' things -- and he doesn't seem able or willing to do that anymore. It's not some new, interesting evolution which he seemed to nurture in the early 2000s with all those semi-minimalist things (A.I., MUNICH, WAR OF THE WORLDS). I think if there is some signs of his latest evolution, it's in his avantgarde concert music. For the Spielberg films or for the latest STAR WARS, it just sounds like second-rate approximations of what he once was.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: Ballerina - Klaus Badelt

An unfortunate album situation with only 4 score tracks, but holy shit what a title cue. shocked Easily the best thing Badelt has ever written outside The Promise, and Godspeed from The Time Machine...easily! Why has this guy been lurking around writing bland crappy music for low-budget films all these years? Hope this gets a full release or promo someday...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    NP: Ballerina - Klaus Badelt

An unfortunate album situation with only 4 score tracks, but holy shit what a title cue. shocked Easily the best thing Badelt has ever written outside The Promise, and Godspeed from The Time Machine...easily! Why has this guy been lurking around writing bland crappy music for low-budget films all these years? Hope this gets a full release or promo someday...

Thanks for the tip. Have you heard 30 COULEUR from 2012? A very fine Badelt score that doesn't get the attention it deserves.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Doctor Strange - M. Giacchino

I dig the theme.
    But the orchestrations make me pine for a Doctor Strange score by Elliot Goldenthal instead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Doctor Strange - M. Giacchino

I dig the theme.
    But the orchestrations make me pine for a Doctor Strange score by Elliot Goldenthal instead.

Man that would have been uber-awesomeness!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. To be fair, both composers are masters of tongue-in-cheek track titles.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016 edited
    Music speaks to me, not gimmicky track titles. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. Sound priorities, Timmer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016
    Indubitably.
  15. Rolli and the Secret of All Time (Panu Aaltio)

Now that was fun, almost old school lighthearted adventure music. Enough adventure, themes and diversity in it to please the old school fan in it. Nice surprise. Then again, Aaltio has proven himself already enough by now to take this composer seriously.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016
    NP: Rogue One - Michael Giacchino with a splash of John Williams

It's dynamite!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's absolute and utter rubbish!
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Thor with the self-descriptive comment of the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016 edited
    It's the first time in a long time that I sat in the audience and actually shook my head in disbelief at what I was hearing; the utter garbage I was being served as music. I'm convinced the score was at least 50% responsible for me giving the film a mere 'OK' judgement as opposed to 'good'. Fuck Giacchino!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    It's absolute and utter rubbish!

As Evelyn Beatrice Hall one said, 'I disapprove of what you say'.