• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Terminator (Brad Fiedel)

The new edition... Wow ! It sounds amazing ! cool

I like where Fiedel went with this score, just electronic textures, unsettling ambience and a lot of screeches and banging, weird sounds coming out of nowhere, and just not a whole lot of melody but boy it sure is an effective score, absolutely perfect for the movie. And the few times Fiedel brings a real melody to the forefront, it's just bittersweet.
    There was a time I dismissed this quicker than the T-800 could shoot a human being at point blank range, but now I do appreciate the whole thought process behind it, and how it may be considered a milestone. Not something I'd listen to on a regular basis, but I'm gonna buy it nonetheless.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2016
    Star Wars The Force Awakens John Williams

It has now surpassed all three of the prequel scores as my favourite. Unfortunately I was too stupid to realise it upon the first listen, but this exceeded all expectations. I know we all keep going on about it, but this is so good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2016
    NP: Rush - Eric Clapton

Brilliant. If you liked the softer, more tender guitar moments in Lethal Weapon then this album is for you. A moody, bluesy, jazzy, rock inspired score with a ton of emotion. I wonder how much help Clapton got from Kamen on this one, if any? In any case, it's a superb listen, great sound, expert playing! The most significant aspect of this film is that it inspired Clapton (along with Will Jennings) to write his classic and most personal song "Tears In Heaven." I own my best friend a big one for introducing me to this album back in high school.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. The story I know is that Tears in Heaven was inspired by Clapton's personal tragedy, when his son got killed after he fell out of the window to his death. So while it was written for the movie, the song came from the most personal place there was. Here's the story:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-clapton-son-killed/
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah, I know that story. Clapton actually had the song in the back of his mind for the longest time but it wasn't until he was scoring RUSH did the song actually have a purpose. They (Clapton and Jennings) were only going to write "Help Me Up" for the movie but then they were inspired by another scene in the movie and decided to write another song. That how Tears In Heaven came to be.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. According to that article, what would be the third song then? I knew the personal story behind the song for ages, but it never actually occured to me for a long time that it was written for a movie, I found out much later. And even when I finally did hear the album, I didn't realize that it was written *for* the film, so I had a bit of cognitive dissonance about this one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    According to that article, what would be the third song then?

"Don't Know Which Way To Go"

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How To Train Your Dragon 2 John Powell

My favourite Powell score, and dare I say his best.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I wouldn't say HHTYD2 is my favourite Powell score, but I'd be hard pressed to not say it's his best along with The Bourne Supremacy and Paycheck.

I've been listening to a lot of Powell recently, especially the albums I rarely get round to - Ice Age 2 & 3, Happy Feet, The Lorax, Evolution, Rio...so much good stuff. Going through it (and there are still plenty more albums to go) easily reaffirms him as my favourite composer.
  4. I very slightly prefer the first one but they're neck and neck. Definitely his two best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Within the space of two years, three of my favourite composers wrote what became my favourite scores they've each written. How To Train Your Dragon 2, Godzilla and Jurassic World. And another one of my favourites has already done it this year.

Whoever says film music 'these days' isn't as good as the past is spewing complete and utter horse shite and should be shot on site.
  5. Jurassic World doesn't particularly trouble my Giacchino Top 10, but yes, I totally agree. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    horse shite should be shot.

Messy but agree.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Within the space of two years, three of my favourite composers wrote what became my favourite scores they've each written. How To Train Your Dragon 2, Godzilla and Jurassic World.

Jurassic World is your favourite Giacchino score? Really? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    horse shite shots.

Messy but agree.

It's strong stuff, so be careful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Within the space of two years, three of my favourite composers wrote what became my favourite scores they've each written. How To Train Your Dragon 2, Godzilla and Jurassic World.

Jurassic World is your favourite Giacchino score? Really? confused

Yep. Star Trek is still probably my favourite Giacchino theme, but Jurassic World just sits right with me with each note. I'm convinced Giacchino wrote it especially for me. It really is my Giacchino desert island disc (and not Lost, ironically).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Stop talking about Giacchino.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stop talking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE 33 (James Horner)

Love the AVATAR "leftovers" in tracks like "First Ascent" as well as some of the lighter Hispanic-flavoured cues. But some of the suspense cues aren't that great. Still, it's not a shabby score to go out on -- certainly more impressive than Goldsmith's LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION (I'm not counting the upcoming MAG7 remake here).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Small Soldiers - Jerry G

Haven't listened to this for so many years. Time has been very kind to this period of Goldsmith's career, which saw virtually everything he did rather dismissed as ordinary back then. This is such an entertaining little score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Joe Dante really brought the wacky, insane side out of Goldsmith... and it's bloody marvelous. John Powell is the only composer I can think of (at this moment) who matches Goldsmith in that regard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Speaking of...

Pan John Powell

In my top three Powell scores. 2015 was incredible.
  6. If the entire Pan score was as good as "Flying Ship Fight" and "A Boy Who Could Fly", it would easily be the equal of the How to Train Your Dragon scores. Not that the rest of the score isn't pretty strong too. But those two cues are on a different plane entirely. I think I spent more time listening to those two back to back than any two or three full score albums put together last year. Absolutely phenomenal stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    "Flying Ship Fight" and "A Boy Who Could Fly"...those two cues are on a different plane entirely.

Peter Pun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin applause
    You are the wind beneath my wings, young master Stewart.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Steven wrote
    Within the space of two years, three of my favourite composers wrote what became my favourite scores they've each written. How To Train Your Dragon 2, Godzilla and Jurassic World. And another one of my favourites has already done it this year.

Whoever says film music 'these days' isn't as good as the past is spewing complete and utter horse shite and should be shot on site.

You have to catch me first then... See me run !! wave

Haven't heard Dragon 2 but the other 2 are mediocre at best. If that's your standard then I can only say out loud:

BOLLOCKS

It seems to me that these days, ok has become the new good and and good has become the new fantastic. sad

Saying Jurassic World is as good as Jurassic Park or The Lost World is utterly ridiculous. It has a good new theme but its action music is bland and repetitive.

And Godzilla gets on my nerves like you wouldn't believe. That's the only time I will endure through that music, when watching the film itself.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. The argument remains valid though, that we have a very selectiv perception of the past. We only remember the great scores of yesteryear and tend to forget that even in the 50s there was much scoring by the numbers, there were many scores that no one remembers and for good reason.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The argument remains valid though, that we have a very selectiv perception of the past. We only remember the great scores of yesteryear and tend to forget that even in the 50s there was much scoring by the numbers, there were many scores that no one remembers and for good reason.

Volker

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Jurassic Park

Thank you Steven, you inspired me to listen to this one again. love
    To be followed up by its sequel score soon.
    But not the recent one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    It seems to me that these days, ok has become the new good and and good has become the new fantastic. sad

Not at all. But here's the point you seem to struggle with: we tend to forget the bad and remember the good (how many scores can you really name from each year as you go back in time compared to what you can name as you go forward?). You also have a debilitating bias; any less-than-great score is just further proof that quality is declining, and the past was better.

Now that's bollocks.

Saying Jurassic World is as good as Jurassic Park or The Lost World is utterly ridiculous. It has a good new theme but its action music is bland and repetitive.

I didn't say that.