• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Really? That theme sounds a lot more like Powell to me than Zimmer.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Really? That theme sounds a lot more like Powell to me than Zimmer.

the opening and end credits of the first 2 episodes at least say so. sadly on youtube you will find just all episodes of season 2. but there you can see, that powell didnt write music for the whole season. the final epsiode for example was scored by christopher tyng.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017 edited
    NP: THE NEON DEMON (Cliff Martinez)

The second-best score of 2016.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Tyng did more. The IMDb page reflects all the credits that could be gleaned from the youtube loads.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017
    justin boggan wrote
    Tyng did more. The IMDb page reflects all the credits that could be gleaned from the youtube loads.

What?!?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: Suffragette

I've been on a good Alexandre Desplat kick recently. I haven't seen the film though. On first listen, I was surprised the music wasn't more hopeful sounding, but then when I read the IMDB summery, it makes more sense. smile
  4. NP: Arrival (2016) - Jóhann Jóhannsson

I largely agree with Jon Broxton's review of this score. Especially his linking it to Penderecki and Stockhausen seems apt. I can see that this is not everybody's cup of tea. I myself will probably not return to this score all to often. You have to be in the right mood for this kind of music. I have yet to see the film to experience the music in context. A good one if no ear candy.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. I've been listening to some 2017 scores this morning.

I started with L'EMPEREUR (Cyrille Aufort). Looks like another documentary about penguins. The music is pleasant, but never veers into beautiful territory.

Then I tried out FIFTY SHADES DARKER (Danny Elfman). It's pretty dull. An hour of nothing, basically.

Now I'm giving THE GREAT WALL (Ramin Djawadi) a first listen. I'm only a few tracks in, but it has a big sound to it that is effective enough. Haven't heard anything that's really grabbed me yet.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Arrival (2016) - Jóhann Jóhannsson

I largely agree with Jon Broxton's review of this score. Especially his linking it to Penderecki and Stockhausen seems apt. I can see that this is not everybody's cup of tea. I myself will probably not return to this score all to often. You have to be in the right mood for this kind of music. I have yet to see the film to experience the music in context. A good one if no ear candy.

Volker

I watched the film last night and the music had me on edge the whole time, much like the score to Interstellar. It's unpleasant to be in such a place of nervousness consistently for 2 hours, so definitely not my cup of tea and not looking to get this score.
  7. Oh, I love the score to Interstellar and I think it is quite different stylistically from Arrival. The latter one I would rather compare with Price's Gravity. smile
  8. NP: Planet of the Apes - Jerry Goldsmith

Reading John O'Callaghan's book, Simians and Serialism, puts Goldsmith's score in a new light for me. It's such a complexly constructed piece of work, as well as being a fantastic listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. NP: Beneath the Planet of the Apes - Leonard Rosenman

Certainly a cousin to Goldsmith's original, Rosenman's 'sound' seems to be reined in somewhat.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. NP: Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

One of my favourite Goldsmith scores.
  11. Why don't we have "like" button here?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2017
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

Great score and great film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Tora! Tora! Tora! - Jerry Goldsmith

Great score and great film.

I after I listened to this one I went on a YouTube hunt to find footage that featured the planes attacking Pearl Harbour. I still marvel at all these planes actually being physical entities and all the effects being physical effects. It's so much more impressive knowing that it actually happened as physical effects.
  13. Jurassic Park & The Lost World: Jurassic Park Williams

Listened to these expanded versions back to back while painting my garden fence this afternoon. So grateful for this new release, 'Jurassic Park' sounds better than ever and it's a different listening experience in chronological order but (and I know I've said this here before) 'The Lost World' is revelation, so much great new music, most of which isn't even in the film, great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (John Williams)

Up to this in my Williams walkthrough -- the ol' Warner CD, of course. Not my favourite Williams by a long shot, and I think my relationship has soured somewhat due to the insane fan culture around it (especially over at FSM), but there's no question it's a great score.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Thor wrote
    NP: SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE (John Williams)

... and I think my relationship has soured somewhat due to the insane fan culture around it (especially over at FSM) ...

Why let you appreciation of music be diminished by some nerdism going on somewhere. If that was my criterion I couldn't listen to Richard Wagner's music ever again.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Whenever there's a massive majority drooling over something, and hardly allows for any criticism, all my alarm clocks go off. It's been that way with the SUPERMAN music ever since the Blue Box, and it irks me. But no worries....the Warner album and the score is one of my earliest Williams CDs and it will always have a place in my heart. As will the film for nostalgic reasons, warts and all.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Thor wrote
    Whenever there's a massive majority drooling over something, and hardly allows for any criticism, all my alarm clocks go off. It's been that way with the SUPERMAN music ever since the Blue Box, and it irks me. But no worries....the Warner album and the score is one of my earliest Williams CDs and it will always have a place in my heart. As will the film for nostalgic reasons, warts and all.

In other words, you're a hipster who can't like things that are popular?
  16. Well, the Blue Box release is magnificent. I am also very fond of the Varese re-recording of SUPERMAN.
  17. Whenever there's a massive majority drooling over something by Thor (i.e. "A.I."), all my alarm clocks go off. Also, I have a robot that flails it's arms around shouting, "Danger Will Robinson! Danger!".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2017 edited
    THE FURY - John Williams

Frist ever listen. Wow, this plays like a saner, more stylish prequel to Christopher Young's Hellraiser*.

*Yes, I'm well aware The Fury came first, but the similarities of its main theme are striking - and then that carousel at the end. If someone will ever make a film about Pinhead's childhood, I imagine the score to sound like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    In other words, you're a hipster who can't like things that are popular?

Nope. I like plenty of things that are popular. But I'm allergic to scores or composers that are 'made holy' and exempt from criticism by a vast majority. I wanna shake these people and scream "get out of your friggin' bubble!" right in their face. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  18. So, they climb out of their bubble into yours? We may have to hire a British nanny for all this shaking!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Can't criticize perfection. Superman is perfection. Ok, 99% perfect. Can You Read My Mind lyrics blow.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  19. Thor wrote
    Nope. I like plenty of things that are popular. But I'm allergic to scores or composers that are 'made holy' and exempt from criticism by a vast majority. I wanna shake these people and scream "get out of your friggin' bubble!" right in their face. smile

Says the Williams completist. If ever a composer was "made holy" then it's him, no?

You aren't making any sense. Who cares how popular something is? If you like it, you like it; if you don't, then don't. The fact that Superman's popularity has actually had a negative impact on your opinion of the music is just sad, to me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017
    BobdH wrote
    THE FURY - John Williams

Frist ever listen. Wow, this plays like a saner, more stylish prequel to Christopher Young's Hellraiser*.

*Yes, I'm well aware The Fury came first, but the similarities of its main theme are striking - and then that carousel at the end. If someone will ever make a film about Pinhead's childhood, I imagine the score to sound like this.

Pleased you enjoyed it. It's near impossible for me to imagine how this score sounds to you listening to it for the first time, I first heard it when I saw the film in 1978, it blew me away and I bought the lp next day.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2017
    John Chambers wrote
    Jurassic Park & The Lost World: Jurassic Park Williams

'The Lost World' is revelation, so much great new music, most of which isn't even in the film, great stuff!

yeah

The Island theme is more prominent in this expanded version, which alone elevates the album over the original release. Add the extra action/tense music, and, as you say, it's a revelation. My top re-release from last year.