• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016
    The original Die Hard 2 album was dynamite! Might be my favourite of all Die Hard albums!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016 edited
    I never heard the first one (except in the film) but of all three I think the most consistently fun and exciting is the third one.

PRIEST - Chris Young

Dark, devilish, delicious. lick
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The Batman and Superman thing -- Hans Zimmer & Junkie XL

So far I've gotten to the 6th track, that 5th track is downright abominable (how did they dare to put that on the CD?) and the 6th was equally horrible (clearly Junkie's fault because you hear the junk of Mad Max in it)

I'm not sure what to expect next, but so far this was appalling.

sad sad sad

I wasn't expecting miracles after Man of Steel, but the previous Batman scores gave me some hope
    Gonna continue this in the afternoon

jeezus christ, the rest was equally appalling. The fact Hans Zimmer is even named in the credits (though I feel it has Junkie XL's stamp all over it) makes it all the more impossible. This score makes Man of Steel feel like a masterpiece.

I can't imagine Hans Zimmer fans truly liking this, this is a disgrace for Hans Zimmer standards. At least Man of Steel had music, this has noise vomit
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2016 edited
    Normally, all this negative feedback for BAT VS. SUPES would make me excited, but I must admit that even I am skeptical at this point. However, I reserve judgement untill I've heard it. Especially since I'm a fan of both composers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Agreed. It's that bad. (Probably more Junk XL than Zimmer.)
  2. The only listen of Batman vs. Superman that will be worth my precious time is if I choose a track of Elfman's Batman, followed by a track of Williams' Superman, and that repeated until there's no more track of either score to choose from. It will be bizarre to listen to, perhaps a tad schizophrenic but I bit it'll be much more musically rewarding then this latest Zimmer junk.

tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Even over on hans-zimmer.com, it's getting quite mixed comments, actually. I'm almost afraid to listen to it. freezing
  4. Steven wrote
    It's very difficult to decide which non-John Williams Jurassic score I prefer. Davis's score is one of the best Williams impersonations I've ever heard, perhaps better than McNeely's various efforts. Davis, being a superb orchestrator, seems to understand Williams's style down to the smallest detail.

It's funny (to me) that you say this, because I don't actually hear that much Williams in Jurassic Park III. It's very much a Davis score (with a few of his usual Horner influences), like a slightly more tonal, slightly less complex version of The Matrix.

I agree with Erik (NOT Thor) vis Jurassic World, which is an okayish score, but outside of its new theme is pretty lame when compared to the other three.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2016 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    It's very difficult to decide which non-John Williams Jurassic score I prefer. Davis's score is one of the best Williams impersonations I've ever heard, perhaps better than McNeely's various efforts. Davis, being a superb orchestrator, seems to understand Williams's style down to the smallest detail.

It's funny (to me) that you say this, because I don't actually hear that much Williams in Jurassic Park III.

Have you checked for orifices on the side of your head? I suspect you're missing a couple of them.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2016
    Totally agree with Steven about Jurassic World. Superb score, especially in the film and Giacchino's new theme is a beauty. I love it.

Hard Target - Bear McCreary

Just the first of 3 discs and its full of meaty, old school thematic scoring - broad, flexible main theme woven into some great action material. The nearly 11 minute 'Flipping the Plane' is an especially well sustained set piece highlight.
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Even over on hans-zimmer.com, it's getting quite mixed comments, actually. I'm almost afraid to listen to it. freezing

I actually glad to hear this. Because this is not Hans Zimmer at all. Again I feel his name is on there because they want it too. For me this is 95% Junk, courtesy of Junkie XL
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWashu
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Hans Zimmer and Junk XL

Quite terrible. It really is that bad as people say it is (I found many people to be excessive in their negativity about Man of Steel even if it wasn't great or anything particularly good). I largely agree with Southall's review. Even if we ignore all the generic, bombastic and annoying action material, most if not all of the ambient music is just so damn unengaging, it is just marking time without doing anything interesting and I am a HUGE lover of ambient/electronic music and most of its various sub genres.

Even if I by no means thought Man of Steel was anything special, it has its fair share of more listenable and more interesting material. I can't find much at all of interest here save for maybe a minute or two that sticks out above the rest of the material. There is no way I want to try to take the minute or two or whatever out, I just don't care about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    GODS OF EGYPT

Once again a score that everybody loves, but which does absolutely nada for me. Never been a Beltrami fan but maybe this one could turn me around, so I thought. I thought wrong.

Sure it has themes, but it's also generic... Like a big pile of nothing. There's nothing that hooks me. Nothing that I consider awesome effective film music, the kind that makes me sit up and notice the brilliance of the themes or writing. The Mummy Returns at least did that from the get go. The more I listen to new scores nowadays, the more it annoys that I actually put in time to listen.

That's all I will say about Gods of Egypt. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    GODS OF EGYPT

Once again a score that everybody loves, but which does absolutely nada for me. Never been a Beltrami fan but maybe this one could turn me around, so I thought. I thought wrong.

Sure it has themes, but it's also generic... Like a big pile of nothing. There's nothing that hooks me. Nothing that I consider awesome effective film music, the kind that makes me sit up and notice the brilliance of the themes or writing. The Mummy Returns at least did that from the get go. The more I listen to new scores nowadays, the more it annoys that I actually put in time to listen.

That's all I will say about Gods of Egypt. smile

Love it. It's huge, tight, kick-ass, and very fresh to hear such a masculine purely orchestral approach in 2016 smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    That. Squared.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    yeah
    That. Squared.

When Beltrami is in a good appetite mood, he rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    GODS OF EGYPT

Once again a score that everybody loves, but which does absolutely nada for me.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one. A few highlight tracks, but overall a noisefest that eventually grates. Unlike you, however, I've always been a big Beltrami fan, and I still am -- despite this disappointment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So Gilles and Thor don't like it? I couldn't have given it a better blessing: it's fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    To the power of punk
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    10 CLOVERFIELD LANE - Bear McCreary

Above average, at best. Yeah, sure, several tracks are enjoyable when taken on its own merits (opening Michelle, Hazmat Suit, and the enjoyable end-credits suite 10 Cloverfield Lane), but this is mostly a single theme used to death by overkill, which gets no development throughout the score, and is drowned out by lengthy sections of the same kind of horror scoring thats been done many times before with the same predictable orchestrations, bereft of any kind of actual suspense because all mood is killed by the fact it's more of a dark action score than a moody thriller kind. To be honest, Michael Giacchino managed to be more creative in a single 12 minute suite, which featured more ideas than McCreary delivers in 60 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    BATMAN V SUPERMAN - Junkie XL & Hans Zimmer

This is awesome. Compelling from start to finish. I love how harsh it dares to be, especially during its demented middle half.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote

from start to finish... harsh... demented.

A fine summation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Young Messiah - J Debney

It's OK.
  6. BobdH wrote

This is awesome. Compelling from start to finish. I love how harsh it dares to be, especially during its demented middle half.

So edgy and daring and different of Hansie XL to write a bad score on purpose! shocked
  7. Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

This score makes me smile like a goon. I never get tired of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2016
    BobdH wrote

Hah! A third!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

It's OK.

It's far more than that. It's one of the best scores of 2016 so far.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

It's OK.

Passion of the Christ leftovers, minus the actual 'pasion' in writing wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

It's OK.

It's far more than that. It's one of the best scores of 2016 so far.

Not by any chance imo smile