• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2016 edited
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend - Jerry Goldsmith

This score makes me smile like a goon. I never get tired of it.

Yes, Jerry had that talent to make me smile with adoration.

Case in point:

RAMBO III

One of my very personal Goldsmith favorites. It's exciting, it's beautiful, it's a most rewarding listening experience!
    Oh yes, even the synths rock !!!

See me smile ---> cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. NP: Bridge of Spies (2015) - David Newman

Listening to this score is like a warm bubble bath for the soul. Great film music!

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. David?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Indeed. I just went on to Spectre and discovered my mistake. dizzy spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2016
    NP: The Dark Knight - the most overestimated and overpaid composer in the world

Whenever I see people singing the praises of something I really hated with a passion I generally do try and check back to see what I missed, but holy neurotoxic vestibulopathy, Batman! There is absolutely nothing here of any value.
    A whole bunch of retreaded ideas that suggest "urgency" (BOOMBERDEBOOMBERDEBOOM) or "drama" (synthy stringsssss) without rhyme or reason.

This REALLY is the Emperor's new clothes.
    Empty noise. Suggestion of thematic development (it's a lie) and motifs (it's a lie), wrapped in such a sound volume that any listener is simply clobbered into submission to admit there's something there.
    There isn't.

I *know* Nolan asked Zimmer to create mere noise (well, OK, a "soundscape" that wouldn't "detract from the action on screen"...and may he at least suffer several aeons of purgatory for this), but to perpetuate this sound and even be proud of it...worse still, to fuel the Cult Of Zimmer with this (a terrible thing as it fuels itself to the point that the deluded masses will defend the nothingness with such fervour that even the perpetrator of this abomination believes he created something: the ultimate cognitive dissonance!) is a true dark point in the history of music.
    Any music.
    Any genre.

I'm this close to actually arguing that pyres for burning onholy music are actually a pretty damn good idea if it gets rid of stuff like...this. Horrid, turgid, stupid, insulting.

...at this point I think it may be a good idea I switch this off and go listen to some actual music....
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    ...at this point I think it may be a good idea I switch this off and go listen to some actual music....

A wonderful idea. Go purge yourself, luxuriate in some Poledouris, Delerue, Rozsa or one of your favourites.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2016 edited
    biggrin

I don't agree with your conclusions, but your rant is as enjoyable as the score (which, given your rant, may be conflicting).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

A wonderful idea. Go purge yourself, luxuriate in some Poledouris, Delerue, Rozsa or one of your favourites.

Ya, mon. cool

Steven wrote
    I don't agree with your conclusions

Urghhh.
    I can quite imagine myself keeping on typing throughout (listening to) the score towards a sort of apocalyptically berserker rage document. It took quite an effort of will to stop! I shudder to think what my post would have looked like had I typed all the way through these seventy minutes of sheer and utter destruction of any honesty in composing, this bitter, cynical....
    OK, now I'm doing it WITHOUT the score.
    I gotta stop. Seriously. They'll find me dead, foaming at the mouth, behind my keyboard tomorrow morning.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    RAMBO III

One of my very personal Goldsmith favorites. It's exciting, it's beautiful, it's a most rewarding listening experience!

I'll have to check it out. I haven't listened to First Blood in years. And I confess Rambo II andIII are complete blind spots for me.

Martijn wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight - the most overestimated and overpaid composer in the world

There is absolutely nothing here of any value.
    A whole bunch of retreaded ideas that suggest "urgency" (BOOMBERDEBOOMBERDEBOOM) or "drama" (synthy stringsssss) without rhyme or reason.

This REALLY is the Emperor's new clothes.
    Empty noise. Suggestion of thematic development (it's a lie) and motifs (it's a lie), wrapped in such a sound volume that any listener is simply clobbered into submission to admit there's something there.
    There isn't.

Yeah, I completely agree.
    Still like it though. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    I don't agree with your conclusions

Urghhh.
    I can quite imagine myself keeping on typing throughout (listening to) the score towards a sort of apocalyptically berserker rage document. It took quite an effort of will to stop! I shudder to think what my post would have looked like had I typed all the way through these seventy minutes of sheer and utter destruction of any honesty in composing, this bitter, cynical....
    OK, now I'm doing it WITHOUT the score.
    I gotta stop. Seriously. They'll find me dead, foaming at the mouth, behind my keyboard tomorrow morning.

Why so serious? You're like a dog chasing cars! You just need a little push.

I am the Batman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Yeah, I completely agree.
    Still like it though. shame

biggrin applause

NP: The Legend Of Butch And Cassidy - Basil Poledouris
    A bittersweet score as it was Poledouris' last, but good GOD did the man have a gift for melody (and harmony, come to that).

...and what a f*cking relief.
    Seriously.
    I can FEEL my blood pressure dropping.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good taste prevails love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    J. Flaherty wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    RAMBO III

I'll have to check it out. I haven't listened to First Blood in years. And I confess Rambo II andIII are complete blind spots for me.

Rarely, if ever - well, OK, definitely never - has a trilogy of scores by the same composer been so completely different. Granted, the second and third films are nothing like the first one, so it wasn't a stretch that there was a change in style after the first - but that third one must be the most cerebral score ever written for such a brainless film.
  5. Even more intrigued now. Will hunt these down next week. Thanks! And thank you, Jerry, for a lifetime of terrific music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016
    Fack offz.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2016
    Have a care, Thunderer. Delerue did nothing more than diminish my raging homicidal mood to one of most willing bellicosity.
  6. Southall wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    RAMBO III

Rarely, if ever - well, OK, definitely never - has a trilogy of scores by the same composer been so completely different. Granted, the second and third films are nothing like the first one, so it wasn't a stretch that there was a change in style after the first - but that third one must be the most cerebral score ever written for such a brainless film.

Years ago I'd have issues picking the best score of the trilogy (while I started to like Tyler's music in general, his Rambo score, which I gave a sympathetic three-star-review back in the day is losing points not just in comparison with the Goldsmith career but even his own scores written around the same time. Just compare his Rambo with the intelligent Eagle Eye, it's not bad as the fourth Fast and Furious which I regard as his worst action score). My opinion at the day was that part one is the most intelligent, part two the most fun, and part three the most emotional and full of them all. So at the time I gave my five stars to Part Two because of pure listenability.

Now I think that First Blood is the best score of the franchise. It took the Intrada C&C release to do that. Incidentally, it wasn't the added few minutes (including the pop version, which is nice, but I'd resort it to CD 2, really) that helped me in the reassessment. Outside of that addition, I would say there is maybe two-three minutes added, mostly certain bars are re-instated. It was the chronological presentation that helped me out.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2016 edited
    Not a big fan of First Blood, a bit too much suspense and not enough action, which features plenty in my favorite Goldsmith sound heard in the sequels. I might as well say First Blood is pretty boring.

Much more action-packed is First Blood Part II and it has the single best cue of the entire trilogy: Home Flight. A tremendously addictive theme that musically unleashes all the rage of the character in that point of the story. And a fitting finale.

But the most consistently entertaining for me is Rambo III, I can never get enough of all 76 minutes.

And Tyler? Well you all know I hate the guy's music with a passion, I've only heard his Goldsmith hacks in the film and he doesn't even give a nod to the master that well. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. I can understand not being super enthused about Tyler, but "hate with a passion"? rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2016
    I thought Tyler's score for Rambo was okay, and very enjoyable in parts ( I'm no Tyler fan ) though I felt his use of JG's themes were a bit clumsy to my ears.

It's THE best Rambo film of them all, deliriously gory with a superbly grizzled and much older Stallone much more to my liking and none of that patriotic flag waving nonsense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2016 edited
    Timmer wrote
    I thought Tyler's score for Rambo was okay, and very enjoyable in parts ( I'm no Tyler fan ) though I felt his use of JG's themes were a bit clumsy to my ears.

It's THE best Rambo film of them all, deliriously gory with a superbly grizzled and much older Stallone much more to my liking and none of that patriotic flag waving nonsense.

While that is true for II and III (straight out of 80s Reaganism), the FIRST Rambo film was the opposite of that -- a subversive look at American foreign policy and the shoddy treatment of veterans. It's a great film, actually, and often analyzed in academia. The score is also in a class of its own -- especially the main theme (which is one of my alltime favourite JG themes) connoting not only the loneliness of Rambo, but also wide-open, grey-weathered, forested mountain areas.

That being said, I did enjoy the last RAMBO film, but for different reasons altogether -- a sort of no-nonsense "splatter" movie. I don't remember a note of the score, though, outside the JG references.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I should have said my favourite Rambo film, I agree with your other points. I enjoy II & III for all their wrong reasons. wink
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I can understand not being super enthused about Tyler, but "hate with a passion"? rolleyes

Oh yes, I certainly do. smile

I admit I do like three cues from AvP: Requiem but that's about it. The fact that he scores most of the action adventure films nowadays is the main reason I have a hard time connecting to today's blockbuster genre music. The genre used to be scored by the likes of Williams, Goldsmith, Horner, Goldenthal, Poledouris, Mancina, Zimmer (in 90s mode) etc. (all much better composers).
  9. I won't dispute your list (well...Mancina is a little iffy), but I just don't understand what there is to hate about Tyler's music. I mean, he kind of sucks at themes and can be generic as hell at times, but it's not like his scores are earsplitting noise or anything...you know, he's at least competent by any objective yardstick.
  10. "AvP: Requiem" is probably my most well hated score that is still in my collection. A noisy atrocity.
    While I'm not a fan of Tyler's there are two or three scores I really like.

Volker
  11. "Decimation Proclamation" is a fantastic action cue, one of my favorite Tyler pieces. Y'all are nuts. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, Tyler is very popular -- as proven by the big turnout for his concert in London this year (many MT members are going there) -- as well as being a "hot topic" for debate, it seems. A friend of mine works with him in LA, and he seems like a cool fellow.

Personally, I haven't really latched on to his music yet. At the moment, I only have STANDING UP and TRANSFORMERS: PRIME in my collection (plus the odd theme on compilations). STANDING UP is particularly interesting; an unusual and restrained score for Tyler.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    "AvP: Requiem" is probably my most well hated score that is still in my collection. A noisy atrocity.

Volker

Agreed! "Decimation Proclamation" is everything that is wrong with modern action scoring! The everything-PLUS-the-kitchen-sink approach doesn't make for good action music. Compare that monstrosity to the brilliant, cleanly orchestrated "Futile Escape" from Aliens.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah