• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016
    Thor wrote
    NP: HE NAMED ME MALALA (Thomas Newman)

One of the best scores last year!

Yep! Really enjoyed this one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Gods of Egypt again.

This is so deeply rooted in the classic tradition of monumental film scoring, that it can serve as a substitute of Miklos Rozsa during this Easter weekend.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Exodus: Gods and Generals (2014) - Alberto Iglesias & Co.

This is actually a nice companion score to "Gods of Egypt".
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Exodus: Gods and Generals (2014) - Alberto Iglesias & Co.

I think you mean GODS AND KINGS.

The best parts of the Ridley Scott score are the pieces composed by Federico Jusid and Harry Gregson-Williams.

But yeah -- I prefer that over the extremely overrated Beltrami effort.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Exodus: Gods and Generals (2014) - Alberto Iglesias & Co.

I think you mean GODS AND KINGS.

The best parts of the Ridley Scott score are the pieces composed by Federico Jusid and Harry Gregson-Williams.

But yeah -- I prefer that over the extremely overrated Beltrami effort.

Yeah. Gods and Generals is something about the Civil War, right?
    I don't think at all that GODS OF EGYPT is overrated. Quite on the contrary.
    I like Jusid's material in EXODUS, whereas the efforts by HGW appear rather bland and could have been left off the album altogether.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Inverse Thor law. Works every time.
  4. Captain Future wrote
    I like Jusid's material in EXODUS, whereas the efforts by HGW appear rather bland and could have been left off the album altogether.

Are you kidding? "Tsunami" is the best track from that score!
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Gilles, if I had your musical tastes, I'm not sure how I could maintain the will to live. suicide

Although if I had your musical tastes, the point would be moot. tongue

No offense mate, but there are no right musical tastes, or tastes in general. We all like different things. I used to react like you do... but really, ask any random person in the street to listen to a score from Powell, how many would like it, how many would be turned off by it... by the mere fact it's instrumental music written for moving images.

Not liking Powell does not make my life less rewarding... I love plenty of music that IS fulfilling. Which makes total sense, because I tend to not like crap... biggrin

the thing that people don't know, my brother gives you the indication he doesn't like Powell and Tyler at all, but he has for instance selfmade suites of How to Train your Dragon or Aliens vs Predator. Meaning he doesn't hate them at all 100%, so there is still some hope wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I know. He's just trying to be all hip and cool and different, but really at heart he's just as big a cuddly softie weirdo as all of us!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn wrote
    I know. He's just trying to be all hip and cool and different, but really at heart he's just as big a cuddly softie weirdo as all of us!

we need a like button cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Seventh Son Marco Beltrami

Incredible score. Beltrami is one of the most exciting composers working today. Hipsters hate him.
  7. Martijn wrote

You read my mind... that is why I am now listening to that most cuddly film score of all, something called HOOK. And I'm not afraid to admit I'm a gigantic fan of the film too. That's how much of a big softie weirdo I truly am. Which is insanely COOL. cool

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    the thing that people don't know, my brother gives you the indication he doesn't like Powell and Tyler at all, but he has for instance selfmade suites of How to Train your Dragon or Aliens vs Predator. Meaning he doesn't hate them at all 100%, so there is still some hope wink

Well yes bro, I already admitted that much concerning Tyler, 3 cues of AvP:R are all I can stomach. And Powell I have a hard time sitting through his scores. But some 9 minutes of highlights... well that's perfectly do-able. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  8. Yes, cuddly. That's what we are. Even Steven. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't sully my name.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven is the cuddliest of all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote

You read my mind... that is why I am now listening to that most cuddly film score of all, something called HOOK. And I'm not afraid to admit I'm a gigantic fan of the film too. That's how much of a big softie weirdo I truly am. Which is insanely COOL. cool

Well sure. But that's just because all scores from before 1995 are the bestest ever in the history of creation!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Why, of all years, 1995? It was one of the strongest!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016 edited
    NP: Birkebeinerne (The Last King) - Gaute Storass

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention, Thor! Just started listening. IMO, "BifroĢˆst" is a contender for track of the year!

Looking forward to listening to the score proper!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Glad you liked it, Erik. I need to spin it a few more times to get a proper "handle" on it. But yeah -- the opening song is stunning!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gods of Egypt Marco

Fuck this is so good. And we're to get another swords and sandals-type score from him this year I've just read! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yup! Ben-Hur is going to be another piece of dog shit but Beltrami's score will most certainly kick some serious ass!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wasn't he mentored by Goldsmith at some point? I think he took on a little too much of his wisdom...
  10. Glory - James Horner

Haven't listened to this in years but it's excellent. One of the few Horner scores I can return to and appreciate as music and not feel like he's cajoling me to tears/cheers. And all the musical ideas get a good workout and go through nice permutations. Holds up great as an album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Glory - James Horner

One of the few Horner scores I can return to and appreciate as music and not feel like he's cajoling me to tears/cheers.

I would have said Glory is where it all started!
  11. Steven wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Glory - James Horner

One of the few Horner scores I can return to and appreciate as music and not feel like he's cajoling me to tears/cheers.

I would have said Glory is where it all started!

Yeah, it's there, but the music's good enough and the mood's solemn enough that he earns it for me. Now Legends of the Fall, forget it, I can't do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'll amend my comment and say it was Cocoon. But Glory is certainly one his earlier scores with his heart string tugging sound that he later became famous for. (Legends of the Fall is probably the score where he perfected that sound.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Wasn't he mentored by Goldsmith at some point?

Yes he was. It really shows.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ladyhawke
  12. TOTAL RECALL

Has anyone bought the new release from Quartet? Best edition of this masterpiece by far. And I thought the previous expansion from Varèse already sounded tremendous. They've really done an incredible job with this one. The bonus material isn't worth it IMO, but the original presentation (on disc 2) certainly is. I've always been amazed how perfect that album was, and that there was so much brilliant material left off that the complete score isn't in any way less than perfect. The expansion makes for more room to breathe and build up to a truly satisfying climax. And to hear it in such amazing sound, well... it was worth every dollar and then some ! cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That is an incredibly conflicting statement.