• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016
    ^ Hearing the original recording of "Clever Girl" is TOTALLY worth the price!

NP: Beastmaster 2: Through The Portal of Time - Robert Folk

One of THE great film score featuring one of THE greatest film themes of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. J. Flaherty wrote
    Now Legends of the Fall, forget it, I can't do it.

shocked

I'm...I'm sorry! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2016
    Carlos, Rey Emperador - Federico Jusid

Very good. Grand, religious, epic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2016
    BobdH wrote
    THE YOUNG MESSIAH - John Debney

Appropriately enough, this plays out like a prequel score to The Passion of the Christ, where ethnic instrumentation blends with western sounds to create roughly the same vibe in a time in which none of the heavy, serious stuff is happening yet, while none of the themes are formed yet but the instrumentation and the occasional chord progression hints at what is to come later on in the franchise.

It's an incredibly light affair, yes, even hollow, leaving you constantly wishing Debney would develop some of those sounds into either any of his themes for The Passion that he's so teasing, or just a theme, ANY theme, really. The end result is rather hollow and dull, more like those religious TV-movies by a composer imitating the sound of The Passion than the actual composer who once came up with those passionate themes.

None of all this is leaving a lasting impression, and I'm just aching to put on that earlier masterpiece again - I'll probably give Mary Goes to Jesus and Crucifiction another spin, just to have the satisfaction of hearing those themes completed after hearing them being mildly hinted at for over an hour - argh!

It's Passion without passion. Never unleashes. Snoozefest with some nice moments.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Yup! Ben-Hur is going to be another piece of dog shit but Beltrami's score will most certainly kick some serious ass!

-Erik-

Great news (About the score).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2016 edited
    NP: Ben-Hur - Miklos Rozsa

This is the Decca re-recording Rozsa did with The National Philharmonic and Chorus in 1977. IMO, there is no finer presentation of this classic score out there. As much as I LOVE FSM's complete album, this 47 minute presentation is nothing short of brilliant giving you ALL the major highlights in stunning sound as conducted by the composer!

Thrilling, mesmerizing, unforgettable music!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. yeah yeah yeah
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    yeah yeah yeah

yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I still only have the old TCM single-disc release of BEN HUR, which isn't a very good listen. The middle half, with all those rowing cues, is actually so grating, I tend to skip ahead (which I rarely do). But I adore the religious cues, as well as many others. I'm still looking for the ultimate presentation of this score. Maybe what you name here is a good alternative.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - Daniel Pemberton

Really enjoyable and energetic score, with Pemberton proving he gets that sixties' vibe from the old TV series without just throwing in every musical James Bond score pastiche cliché.

The one thing I don't get is why, with both the movie and the music so firmly grounded in the original series, the decision was made to shy away from Goldsmith's iconic theme. Oh well. I guess the director thought that he was making an 'auteur piece'. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I still only have the old TCM single-disc release of BEN HUR, which isn't a very good listen. The middle half, with all those rowing cues, is actually so grating, I tend to skip ahead (which I rarely do). But I adore the religious cues, as well as many others. I'm still looking for the ultimate presentation of this score. Maybe what you name here is a good alternative.

This is the definitive edition. Really.
    In fact it's my top one score album in history. Best ever. Really.
    Can't recommend it highly enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    The one thing I don't get is why, with both the movie and the music so firmly grounded in the original series, the decision was made to shy away from Goldsmith's iconic theme. Oh well. I guess the director thought that he was making an 'auteur piece'. wink

Pemberton gets no royalties using Goldsmith's theme.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You old cynic! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    NP: The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - Daniel Pemberton

Really enjoyable and energetic score, with Pemberton proving he gets that sixties' vibe from the old TV series without just throwing in every musical James Bond score pastiche cliché.

Fantastic score, one of my Top 10 favourites of 2015.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

This is the definitive edition. Really.
    In fact it's my top one score album in history. Best ever. Really.
    Can't recommend it highly enough.

Really? For me, it's not definitive at all. I want a presentation that has more of the down-tempo stuff, religious stuff etc. I've been told there is a 2CD TCM release that has that, but ideally, I'd just want a re-recording that has an even balance -- which the single-disc TCM does NOT!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Really? For me, it's not definitive at all.

Imagine my shock. rolleyes
    EDIT: hold on! Wait! I was talking about the Decca (the album Erik refered to! ! Not the TCM!)

I want a presentation that has more of the down-tempo stuff, religious stuff etc

And I want a goose that lays golden eggs.
    Sadly we shall just have to live with the knowledge that these things do not exist in this reality. sad

EDIT again: try the Decca!
    (Well, I'd say that to anyone, actually, whatever their reason or needs. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Will try the Decca! Thanks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DEADPOOL (Junkie XL)

Great score, one of my favourites so far this year!

JUNKIE XL 4-EVER!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Try the Decca Ben-Hur and stop polluting this thread with tone deaf non-composers! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    dizzy
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Try the Decca Ben-Hur and stop polluting this thread with tone deaf non-composers! angry

yeah

I agree with Erik and Martijn. Sublime!!!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Hearing the original recording of "Clever Girl" is TOTALLY worth the price!

-Erik-

Yes, that's a good one, all the more because it's reconstructed from various takes. Very clever! smile

Martijn wrote
    Try the Decca Ben-Hur

Not the Vocalion?

Which is what you recommended I should get and I love it dearly.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Looked around the art gallery at Bristol museum this afternoon and saw THIS painting, a huge canvas of about 10x10 or thereabouts.

Now, what piece of music do you think immediately sprang into my mind.

[/No, it wasn't The Benny Hill Theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    3:15 into Neodammerung from The Matrix Revolutions. (Admittedly it didn't immediately spring to mind, but it's a fitting piece.)

Also I want that painting.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The full size original is awesome. I'd have thought you'd guess the music I thought of immediately?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Raiders, I assume? I wanted to be different. But also I was listening to that score today. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bingo! I like your choice too.
  3. Interstellar... No, really !

tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Fernando Velazquez

Another brilliant score from this very talented composer - and this time he gets to interweave robust horror music full of choppy string writing with plenty of very 'English' thematic stuff befitting the period setting. He pulls it off with aplomb too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    David OC wrote
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Fernando Velazquez

Another brilliant score from this very talented composer - and this time he gets to interweave robust horror music full of choppy string writing with plenty of very 'English' thematic stuff befitting the period setting. He pulls it off with aplomb too.

You just described his last score, Crimson Peak. Which is good news as far as I'm concerned. Crimson Peak was one of my favourites from 2015.