• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2016
    NP: TERESA (Federico Jusid)

I vastly prefer this over the CARLOS score by Jusid that everyone raved over last year (which I found merely OK).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016 edited
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    It was until he topped it with his next score. The guy writes absolutely miserable film music.

Batman vs superman is actually much more enjoyable than Deadpool. At least it has slower, dramatic breaks smile

I agree with you D, Some of it is very enjoyable. I don't know or care who was responsible for the ear bleeding "action music", it's awful, even worse than Man of Steel.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2016
    Thor wrote

I vastly prefer this over the CARLOS score by Jusid that everyone raved over last year (which I found merely OK).

Of course. And if everyone raved about Teresa you would have gushed about Carlos.

Keep it up!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. EDDIE THE EAGLE

This has the sound that I grew up with, from in my opinion the best decade music-wise. A sort of melodic simplicity and optimism and accessibility that isn't hip anymore in these dark and gloomy times. Zimmer's late 80s, early 90s influence is everywhere, which is cool as vanilla ice. Not every cue is like that, but at least I sit up and notice the ones that are. Because they are written to be expressive, and make one notice the music and the moment in the film. So I'm glad when a score comes around that actually goes against the current day trend. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Of course. And if everyone raved about Teresa you would have gushed about Carlos.

Keep it up!

-Erik-

Nope. I just prefer the more pastoral, 'religious sound'-like atmosphere of TERESA (with an uptempo track or two) over the cymbal-crash-heavy CARLOS.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    EDDIE THE EAGLE

This has the sound that I grew up with, from in my opinion the best decade music-wise. A sort of melodic simplicity and optimism and accessibility that isn't hip anymore in these dark and gloomy times. Zimmer's late 80s, early 90s influence is everywhere, which is cool as vanilla ice. Not every cue is like that, but at least I sit up and notice the ones that are. Because they are written to be expressive, and make one notice the music and the moment in the film. So I'm glad when a score comes around that actually goes against the current day trend. cool

aha, good to know you liked it smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    EDDIE THE EAGLE

This has the sound that I grew up with, from in my opinion the best decade music-wise. A sort of melodic simplicity and optimism and accessibility that isn't hip anymore in these dark and gloomy times.

cry
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Eighties the best decade music-wise?
    Good GOD! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. In my opinion, which shouldn't mean a whole lot to be honest. tongue

My formative years, multiple great film scores every year, Michael Jackson and various artists making catchy music that is still among my most-played today...

Hell yeah... 80s FTW !! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    The Eighties the best decade music-wise?
    Good GOD! shocked

Why was it not?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    In my opinion, which shouldn't mean a whole lot to be honest. tongue

My formative years, multiple great film scores every year, Michael Jackson and various artists making catchy music that is still among my most-played today...

Hell yeah... 80s FTW !! punk

yeah
    I am extremely serious.
  5. From the 1940s up to the present I find in every decade music that I love. The earliest pop music that I actively remember is from ca 1977, ABBA, James Last, pop bands like Sailor, acts like Zusi Quatro, that my parents would play on their parties. (There is a party room in the basement of my parent's house, ans many families had back in the 70s in Germany. When I was at high school me and the gang had some nice parties there ourselves.)

But yeah, the formative teenage years leave the deepest impression. As a synth fan, New Wave had a greater appeal for me then R&B. That music will stay with me forever.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Nope. I just prefer the more pastoral, 'religious sound'-like atmosphere of TERESA (with an uptempo track or two) over the cymbal-crash-heavy CARLOS.

Pfffffffffffffffffft!

:spitmycoffeeallovercomputer:

lol

That comment right there proves you didn't even listen to Carlos!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I did. It's too full-on. It's "pretty" and everything, but it completely lacks the dynamics that made his ISABEL scores so great. It's pure surface; it has no (or very little) depth. TERESA, however, has all of that in spades.

I enjoy several of the tracks, but CARLOS is IMO one of the most overrated scores of last year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's not full on. Where are you getting this from? There is one battle cue that fits your description of a cymbal clash heavy cue, and even that is a flat out wrong description of the cue. The rest of the score is a mix of gentle, airy themes, religious choral cues, harp lullabies, chambers pieces, and romance.

If you did listen to it, you obviously didn't pay much attention to it.

Your assessment of the score is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nah. It's right on-target. You enjoy your CARLOS and I enjoy my TERESA.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeesh! This isn't about enjoying the score or not; hate it for all I care. However, this is about making sure you don't misrepresent the score, which is what you are clearly doing.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not really. It's how I hear it. On a purely factual level, there may not be cymbal crashes every two seconds, but it's part of a general "overblown" aesthetic, IMO. It doesn't have the kind of build-up and dynamics (neither within tracks nor within the album as a whole) as TERESA or ISABEL. It's like Jusid wants to go "full-on" from the start to the end (that it taps into different idioms along the way isn't really relevant when this overall aesthetic informs it). So I find it a bit tiring as a listening experience.

But by all means -- it's not bad. It's just not as good as everyone says it is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    But but ... how is Batman vs Superman compared to Carlos?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote

Well, if you took the good tracks from BvS (my 30-minute playlist, for example), it's actually a close call!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LIFE BEFORE HER EYES (James Horner)

A Horner score not often talked-about, but it's right up my alley! So gentle!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote

Well, if you took the good tracks from BvS (my 30-minute playlist, for example), it's actually a close call!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

suicide
  6. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Laughter is good for your soul!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. That's right!
  8. My browser choked on all those signs. Thanks Erik. rolleyes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm impressed my phone was able to manage all those emoticons. But I made the mistake of scrolling up to Thor's comment, and it crashed.
  9. Explorers - Jerry Goldsynth

lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Laughter is good for your soul!

You provide a lot of it. Thanks!

-Erik-