• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Isn't it faster and much more comprehensible to just write "Raiders" instead of RotLA? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use RotLA!

Indy (Mr. Woods) will whip your for your lack of respect. slant

I think you'll find him more inclined to use that lash on you for daring to call it Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. wink

The proper title is, as I've said before, Indiana Jones Episode II: The Raiders of the Lost Ark. And henceforth will be referred to as IJE2TROTLA. It's the only logical thing to do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    NP: HALO: SPARTAN STRIKE (Tom Salta)

One of the best game scores last year (never played the game, nor will I ever). It's about 20 minutes too long, but some smokin' great tracks here.

I much prefer Halo Spartan Assault (also by Tom Salta). It's shorter than Spartan Strike (should appeal to you).

Are you familiar with the other Halo scores by Marty O'Donnell, Thor ? I am and they're iconic to say the least. Not like Star Wars, but in the videogame realm they're about the best known / most popular among gamers that are also music fans. Check out Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST. A good blend of the symphonic with the electronic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Excuse me sir!!!

Oh, very well.
    But I'll keep my eye on you, young man.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Isn't it faster and much more comprehensible to just write "Raiders" instead of RotLA? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use RotLA!

I think you'll find him more inclined to use that lash on you for daring to call it Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. wink

yeah
    And if he doesn't, I will. angry

I don't know, it sounds bad-ass !!! punk

Preparing for imminent whipping.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    justin boggan wrote

And:
    RotLA
    ToD
    TLC

I believe the official titles are :

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

IJatRotLA

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

IJatToD

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

IJatLC

and finally, the one that should never have been made, with an overly long name to boot:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

IJatKotCS

dizzy

Well, of course I didn't bring up that last one. For me, bringing it up is a combo of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDgq-K2oYLo
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUHLHyXZoU
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

One of the best game scores last year (never played the game, nor will I ever). It's about 20 minutes too long, but some smokin' great tracks here.

I much prefer Halo Spartan Assault (also by Tom Salta). It's shorter than Spartan Strike (should appeal to you).

Are you familiar with the other Halo scores by Marty O'Donnell, Thor ? I am and they're iconic to say the least. Not like Star Wars, but in the videogame realm they're about the best known / most popular among gamers that are also music fans. Check out Halo 3 and Halo 3: ODST. A good blend of the symphonic with the electronic.

I wonder Gilles if you've heard Halo 5 by Kazuma Jinnouchi. It was my favorite video game score from last year, paying legacy to the O'Donnell/Salvatori themes and styles while pushing things in a more cinematic direction. Outstanding score, even if its album (132 minutes!) takes a lot of trimming down. Definitely at least have a listen to "The Trials", which is like an awesome extended symphonic take on "Finish the Fight" from Halo 3 mixed with Jinnouchi's own main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I may have listened to one of those other HALO ones; I'm not sure. I don't play videogames, so I'm only exposed to these scores because I receive digital promos of them. I've heard about Marty O'Donnell, but that's about it.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I wonder Gilles if you've heard Halo 5 by Kazuma Jinnouchi. It was my favorite video game score from last year, paying legacy to the O'Donnell/Salvatori themes and styles while pushing things in a more cinematic direction. Outstanding score, even if its album (132 minutes!) takes a lot of trimming down. Definitely at least have a listen to "The Trials", which is like an awesome extended symphonic take on "Finish the Fight" from Halo 3 mixed with Jinnouchi's own main theme.

Yeah, it's good, but I had to trim it down to a respectable 54 minutes or so, because it had way too much uninspired bland cues that had no connection to one another. Compared to O'Donnell's work it's pretty unoriginal and non-thematic, always based on the same kind of structure. The Trials is an awesome cue however, and its effect in the game is nothing short of blood-pumping. I know, because I've played them all... biggrin Also, I completely loved the direction Neil Davidge took for Halo 4, which was also a departure from the big themes of the previous games, but at least had a more consistent style, so I actually prefer Halo 4 to Halo 5. All of the Halo scores mean a lot to me, as my adoration for the games' mythology is one that will stay with me until I die. Until the developers fuck it up of course.
  5. That's interesting that you (of all people!) like Halo 4 so much. I thought it was okay, but Davidge's material seemed like pretty generic typical modern stuff to me, especially compared to Jinnouchi's fantastic "117". When I heard Jinnouchi was tackling 5 I was super stoked to hear a full score like that, which it didn't really end up being, but it gets pretty close to it in places.
  6. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote

I may have listened to one of those other HALO ones; I'm not sure. I don't play videogames, so I'm only exposed to these scores because I receive digital promos of them. I've heard about Marty O'Donnell, but that's about it.

His work is primarily synth-based, and has a mystical quality to it. I think you should hear his work. Something tells me you could become a fan. wink
  7. NP: The Force Awakens (2015) - John Williams

h0w3v3r y0u r4nk 7h3 574r w4r5 5c0r35, 7h15 15 5up3r10r mu51c.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ironically that's a lot easier to decipher than abbreviations.
  8. All I see clearly is 7h15.

What happens then?

Our future selves becomes assholes? ISIS leaders transform into kittens? The universe collapses?

I demand to know !!!!
  9. EPIC HOLLYWOOD: THE MUSIC OF MIKLOS ROZSA

Well, this is somewhat nice. This man Rozsa sure liked the orchestra. There's even some applause going on at times. Sounds like something people enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    It's like a Score Fan Basics 101. If you don't know it, you need to attend some fictional score class. You should know that, just as you should know:

TMP
    TWoK
    TSfS
    TVH
    TFF
    TUC

And:
    RotLA
    ToD
    TLC

Otherwise we might have to send you to a lecture by Thor on scores in film.

TWATL?
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Erik will whip YOU for adding "Indiana Jones and" to Raiders' title wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. yeah

This is getting rather circular.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    It's like a Score Fan Basics 101. If you don't know it, you need to attend some fictional score class. You should know that, just as you should know:

TMP
    TWoK
    TSfS
    TVH
    TFF
    TUC

And:
    RotLA
    ToD
    TLC

Otherwise we might have to send you to a lecture by Thor on scores in film.

TWATL?

lol Lucky I don't have a mouthful of coffee right now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016 edited
    The Force Awakens effectively revived my interest in film music after about ten years of modest interest. It's such a terrific score. The fanfare that heralds Kylo Ren's theme as he lands on Jakku is probably my favorite film/music union in a long time. That and "Burning Homestead" playing when Rey force-grabs Luke's lightsaber.

I'm hopeful Williams might produce at least a bit more Star Wars music before his noble end. But if not and "Rey's Theme" is his last thematic gift to the world, I'd consider it a fine parting statement.

If anyone's interested, this book on Williams's music was a fine read. I'm a total dunce about musicology, so it was an education and a pleasure for me. I'm indebted to the writer for drawing my attention to the fact -- which I'd never noticed, shame on me -- that the choir melody in "Augie's Municipal Band" from Phantom Menace is a statement of the Emperor's theme. And the structural similarities between Luke's theme and the Across the Stars love theme -- I'd never noticed those either.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Just finished:
    Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman

This is actually a real snoozefest on CD. Even the best cues towards the end sound so familiar to Newman's style that it's hard to get excited over them.

Now onto:
    Agent Cody Banks - John Powell

This is anything but a snoozefest. In fact it's an inventive, dazzling, ridiculously fun romp from start to finish. The action is typically great ('Natalie Rescued' being the best of many such cues) whilst the main theme is addictive. Powell has a ball tossing it around all over the place in various guises and the 'Chicken Run' treatment is especially memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2016 edited
    J. Flaherty wrote
    That and "Burning Homestead" playing when Rey force-grabs Luke's lightsaber.

I hated this. For all the time that they (Williams and Abrams) worked on the score, for Abrams to needle drop this cue.... it's just terrible.

J. Flaherty wroteI'm hopeful Williams might produce at least a bit more Star Wars music before his noble end. But if not and "Rey's Theme" is his last thematic gift to the world, I'd consider it a fine parting statement.

He's not dead yet... not even close.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Priest - Christopher Young

As much as I love Zimmer and Newton Howard's The Dark Knight score, I really wish Young had of scored Nolan's trilogy with the sound of this score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Erik will whip YOU for adding "Indiana Jones and" to Raiders' title wink

Well, actually I'm not wrong, the movie has been released like that in many countries.

Besides, Erik doesn't care, he would've done the whipping already... HARD ! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Only as a DVD release, because Spielberg (or more likley the production company) wanted to have the trilogy sitting next to each other on the DVD rental shelf.

And as to the whipping...you sound a little eager... uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  13. J. Flaherty wrote
    That and "Burning Homestead" playing when Rey force-grabs Luke's lightsaber.

Really? I hated that! The last time I can remember being so violently jarred out of the film by a musical choice is when the Nazgul theme appeared in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. At least this one wasn't thematically inappropriate, but still - I found the obvious needledrop to be distracting in the extreme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote

Well, actually I'm not wrong, the movie has been released like that in many countries.

Yes, and in China Guardians of the Galaxy is 'Interstellar Different Commandos'.
  14. Martijn wrote
    Only as a DVD release, because Spielberg (or more likley the production company) wanted to have the trilogy sitting next to each other on the DVD rental shelf.

And as to the whipping...you sound a little eager... uhm

I figured it's time for a brawl here, it has been too long. knight
  15. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Yes, and in China Guardians of the Galaxy is 'Interstellar Different Commandos'.

rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

biggrin

I'll see if I can find James Bond titles, they're silly too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BATMAN VS. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE (Hans Zimmer & Junkie XL)

My 38-minute playlist, which is GREAT (well, the selection of tracks is, I still haven't sorted out how to arrange them in a decent order)!
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

biggrin

I'll see if I can find James Bond titles, they're silly too.

Some of them are already a bit silly in english. smile