• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2016
    Memoirs of a Geisha John Williams

2005 John Williams sounds more grown up than 2015 John Williams. This is a wonderful thing no matter how you look at it.
  1. Well, that film is a little different from TFA, isn't it? More ... grown up, so to speak. wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well, yes. The movies he scored in 2005 were all quite depressing. I suppose my point is, The Force Awakens sounds like it was written by someone much younger than John Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Capricorn One - Jerry Goldsmith

I never listen to the original soundtrack recording because honestly I hate the recording! So, I'm listening to the superb re-recording Goldsmith did with the National Philharmonic. A much warmer, fuller sound, which gives the score much needed weight! Cues like the "Main Title", "No Water" and the sensational action cue "Break Out" have never sounded better. Plus, the 40 minute presentation and absolutely perfect!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    vomit beer drink vomit beer drink vomit beer drink

Never, I repeat, never get drunk on 63% rum. I considered myself quite the opposite of a lightweight until this drink gave me new wisdom...

Too late mate. The THE worst hangover I have ever had was on Christmas eve 1993, that was rum, an experience I will never repeat.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're just not PROPER pirates, you are!

The London meet-up in May shall see rum!
    (Or I will be gravely disappointed)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. WINDTALKERS - James H.

If it weren't for that great theme, I doubt the score would have gotten lots of listens from me over the years. But up until now I could never give the score more than 3.5 stars. Well, I've finally given in, because this listen it all suddenly clicked, cliched Hornerisms and all. Because it's what Ottman said, the man had his own voice, melodic style and all his borrowings were just his way of expressing what he felt the scene needed. And that his music worked brilliantly in so many films is a testament of his talent and skill. So this is no classic but it's a damn fine entertaining action score, and all that thanks to that heroic theme. So 4 stars it is from now on. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2016
    In true hipster fashion, I loved that score from the very beginning. It has a lot of his isms, and yet manages to be unique. I love it. One of my favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I knew Horner before you even could pronounce his name. :disdain:

(I never knew how useful my hugely advanced age is in effectively patronising people though my obvious hipsterness...ing...ity)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, but I am the ultimate John Williams fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm so old I recognise even THAT!
    Luckily I'm way too old to remember it.
  3. Martijn wrote
    I knew Horner before you even could pronounce his name. :disdain:

(I never knew how useful my hugely advanced age is in effectively patronising people though my obvious hipsterness...ing...ity)

Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes.

Oh Bruce, don't worry. Just become a trans-age person and you'll be in your 20s in no time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    You're just not PROPER pirates, you are!

The London meet-up in May shall see rum!
    (Or I will be gravely disappointed)

Hmm. I shall be driving home afterwards so will have to restrict my rum intake a little. I may not be able to take it intravenously, for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This is why I don't drive.
    Or go home.
  4. I thought so. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2016
    John Williams' Classic Film Scores Charles Gerhardt

My favourite version of Star Wars (A New Hope). I don't think a better version of Leia's theme has ever been recorded?

The Close Encounters suite is miraculous too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    John Williams' Classic Film Scores Charles Gerhardt

My favourite version of Star Wars (A New Hope). I don't think a better version of Leia's theme has ever been recorded?

I agree about Leia's Theme. Splendidly performed and conducted, HOWEVER, the rest of the Star Wars cues suffer from some lackadaisical conducting.

Steven wrote
    The Close Encounters suite is miraculous too.

This is where Gerhardt redeems himself. The Close Encounters suite my second favourite re-recording of all time!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. SODOM AND GOMORRAH

Listening to epic Miklos Rozsa is like a medicine for crappy music overload exposure.

One small dose in the morning, afternoon, or the evening is sufficient to feel fine again.
    One big dose eliminates all residue of said crappy music exposure.

cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (Hans Zimmer etc.)

Superb score -- one of the best last year (or is it two years ago already?)! Wish BvS had this kind of focussed energy.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Superb score -- one of the best last year (or is it two years ago already?)! Wish BvS had this kind of focussed energy.

I liked this one too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. I liked the main theme. Gutsy.

Journey to the Center of the Earth - Bernard Herrmann

Gutsier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I liked this one too.

Why? uhm
  7. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I liked this one too.

I still like it. My kind of Z-score.

Volker
  8. SODOM AND GOMORRAH

Continuation - disc 2

It starts off with an absolutely MASSIVE battle cue. Fantastic ! punk punk punk

A track that will most likely cause ear damage. shocked

Only my second listen of this one, but man what a tremendous recording and score.
    Purely looking at as a complete score presentation, this may be my second favorite after El Cid.
  9. I am a die hard Rozsa lunatic and I love the recording in question. As to the Cid: In it's entirety it gets a bit too much for me. I think Rozsa drove it to the brink of parody with this one. Still, a great score. I distilled a playlist from the Prague recording that resembles the LP album presentation.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACKDRAFT (Hans Zimmer)

I've decided to go through all my Zimmers as they're organized in my iTunes (alphabetically). This will be my project in the next few days, perhaps interspersed with something else to keep some variety.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Captain Future wrote
    I am a die hard Rozsa lunatic and I love the recording in question. As to the Cid: In it's entirety it gets a bit too much for me. I think Rozsa drove it on the bring of parody with this one. Still, a great score. I distilled a playlist from the Prague recording that resembles the LP album presentation.

Volker

Oh believe me I have to split these up in two separate listens (on the same day most of the time). Rozsa's mammoth sound is just too much for my ears to handle in one go.

El Cid has maybe one of the best love themes I've ever heard, definitely right up there with Superman's. And the fact the theme is used constantly throughout the score and it never ever gets tiring is for me the reason it's the best Rozsa (of those I've heard).

Oh and I'd like to give that El Cid playlist a go. smile
  11. DreamTheater wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I am a die hard Rozsa lunatic and I love the recording in question. As to the Cid: In it's entirety it gets a bit too much for me. I think Rozsa drove it on the bring of parody with this one. Still, a great score. I distilled a playlist from the Prague recording that resembles the LP album presentation.

Volker

Oh believe me I have to split these up in two separate listens (on the same day most of the time). Rozsa's mammoth sound is just too much for my ears to handle in one go.

El Cid has maybe one of the best love themes I've ever heard, definitely right up there with Superman's. And the fact the theme is used constantly throughout the score and it never ever gets tiring is for me the reason it's the best Rozsa (of those I've heard).

Oh and I'd like to give that El Cid playlist a go. smile

Here it is. It amounts to 52 Minutes. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Danny Elfman - Wolfman

Love the gothic mood, the darkness. Enjoyed the movie too. 2009-2010 has seen Elfman in great form smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.