• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016
    At least with laughably bad movies like this, we get to hear some decent music from time to time, so at least there's some justification of their existence there wink

FERNANDO VELAZQUEZ - Pride And Prejudice And Zombies

Although the whole score is tiring, these are my highlights: 'we are under attack', 'don't go in the woods alone', 'darcy is saved', 'zombies are fed - attack - slowdown', 'rosings park', 'midnight walk' and the mesmerizing 'the letter-siege of London' with 'after the explosion' and the beautiful 'happy ending'. What do you guys think of this score?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As you said, I find it rather tiring. I much prefer THE WOLFMAN, which is a cross between Elfman's own SLEEPY HOLLOW (esp. the cello/gypsye things) and Wojciech Kilar.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BEYOND RANGOON (Hans Zimmer)

Simply put one of the best scores ever written; in my alltime Top 10 list!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BLACK HAWK DOWN (Hans Zimmer)

The best track is not a Zimmer composition ("Gortoz a Ran"), but some great exotic writing nonetheless. Zimmer is never better than this and power anthems!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016 edited
    NP: BLACK RAIN (Hans Zimmer)

I'm giving the score-only version another go. I found it rather dreadful when I first heard it (lots of swishes and clanging and sound design), the only highlights being the superb selections that were on the original album (the template for all future power anthems). Chances are I'll return to the original album soon.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I bought that limited release too, somewhere in 2014 I think and I really enjoy the album. With Zimmer's suite presentation and the songs. The complete score is much more sound design, but it has a couple of good moments. Up until 2014 I didn't even know that that Black Rain was used in the Speed trailer. I really love that one.

And for the love of the Norse gods, get Days of Thunder already... if you won't, Odin will come and take all your powers away. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: BLACK HAWK DOWN (Hans Zimmer)

The best track is not a Zimmer composition ("Gortoz a Ran"), but some great exotic writing nonetheless. Zimmer is never better than this and power anthems!

Love this score. Some esoteric writing, heartfelt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    And for the love of the Norse gods, get Days of Thunder already... if you won't, Odin will come and take all your powers away. tongue

I have it now! (in digital format, but still). Fantastic score (and I even featured it in my sports movie score episode recently); I'll get to it soon in my Zimmer walkthrough.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2016 edited
    NP: CHAPPIE (Hans Zimmer et.al.)

Another of my favourite scores two years ago! Love the breakbeats, love the Vangelis stuff, love most things about it. The film is poor, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CRIMSON TIDE (Hans Zimmer)

Greatness in a box.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I have it now! (in digital format, but still). Fantastic score (and I even featured it in my sports movie score episode recently); I'll get to it soon in my Zimmer walkthrough.

beer God of Thunder beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DA VINCI CODE (Hans Zimmer)

More gorgeous greatness (I obviously own very few Zimmer soundtracks I don't like).
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Is this Z-day? cheesy

INTERSTELLAR

Such fantastic atmosphere, so many layers of interesting textures plus brilliant use of an organ.

A modern sci-fi classic. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, but any score written after 2000 is terrible, so you're obviously in a very charitable mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Another of my favourite scores two years ago! Love the breakbeats, love the Vangelis stuff, love most things about it. The film is poor, though.

We found the score's 1 fan wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My memory could be playing on tricks on me, but I seem to remember it was overall well received at the time. Or if not, nobody is more comfortable in being in a minority than I. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

We found the score's 1 fan wink

Here's No 2. wave
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2016
    Chappie was released LAST YEAR. BTW, I liked it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Chappie was released LAST YEAR. BTW, I liked it!

-Erik-

Really? Ah, I've long since lost control of the passage of time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (Hans Zimmer)

The only of the Dark Knight trilogy I own on soundtrack. I've never been able to get into these properly, but then again I haven't listened to them as much as I should have.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DAYS OF THUNDER (Hans Zimmer)

I'm still not totally convinced that this slightly expanded commercial release presents a better program than the boot I've now jettisoned, but it has somewhat better sound. Power anthems for the win!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Steven wrote
    Yes, but any score written after 2000 is terrible, so you're obviously in a very charitable mood.

Very charitable... I might as well give TFA a spin later. biggrin

But as the movie's coming out the 16th, I'll wait for that. cool
  6. Thor wrote
    NP: DAYS OF THUNDER (Hans Zimmer)

I'm still not totally convinced that this slightly expanded commercial release presents a better program than the boot I've now jettisoned, but it has somewhat better sound. Power anthems for the win!

shocked

What's not to love??? You have one STUPENDOUSLY AWESOME cue not found on the boot. And the music is presented as it appears in the film.

Oh wait, that's right... it's C&C... I forgot. face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that's not a positive thing for me.

Also, I could be without the alternates etc., but I guess I can just press "stop" after the regular tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. It's an objectively better presentation in every way no matter who you are, but of course we can't have Thor praising a C&C release. We must always stick to our principles no matter what, right?

...I mean, come on. It's all of eight minutes longer, all of which is contained within a massively important cue that has no business not being on ANY release of that score. Only Thor could possibly still find a way to quibble with that.
  8. Still the entire score is some 55 minutes long, that's not ridiculously long for a C&C presentation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    ...I mean, come on. It's all of eight minutes longer, all of which is contained within a massively important cue that has no business not being on ANY release of that score. Only Thor could possibly still find a way to quibble with that.

A minor quibble only. I agree there are worse examples of C&C out there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2016 edited
    But I DO like the "karaoke" version of "Last Note of Freedom" at the end -- I'll have to rehearse that and add it to my repertoire. It's an awesome song.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GLADIATOR (Hans Zimmer)

There isn't a lot of stuff I can say about these things that hasn't already been said, but although I played this countless times in the early 2000s, it's been a while now. One of the most influential scores in the last 16 years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2016 edited
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM - James Horner

The complete version of course. Man there is some deliciously melodic action music in here that is sadly missing from the official release... and I am sorely missing this kind of music in modern scoring. sad