• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016
    Immediately after posting my comment I started searching on iTunes. Between that post and writing this one, I've purchased Thunderbirds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2016 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Hidden Kingdoms - Ben Foster

A tad disappointing most of the tracks are very short, but things like "A Burglar" and "Fight Fight Fight!": give this guy the next Bond film. Does anybody know if he's written anything like that in his other scores?

It's a good score, but it's a bit whimsical in that it has many short tracks in several different styles, and the album is too long. Wish he had "suitifed" the tracks into something a bit more coherent and succinct.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I really like Hidden Kingdoms, but I found his Thunderbirds to be a bit much: it's full of sound and fury (with -not surprisingly- a very strong Doctor Who vibe), but just flinging a full symphony orchestra and percussion section against every track does grate a bit after a while, especially as there's little of thematic worth in the score.

The whole thing feels like one massive, relentless action suite.
    Not my cup of tea.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Not my cup of tea.

Sounds like something up my alley. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I quite like Foster's THUNDERBIRDS but yeah, it is a bit relentless.

He ain't no Barry Gray though who had a genius for themes and melody.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I Promessi Sposi - E Morricone

One of his best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016
    NP: The Musketeer - David Arnold

An underrated effort for sure. People, including myself, tend to forget he scored this film.

Super fun score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Absolutely! Fine piece of work for a pretty flawed film.
    I should have another listen soon. It's been ages.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    I found his Thunderbirds to be a bit much: it's full of sound and fury (with -not surprisingly- a very strong Doctor Who vibe), but just flinging a full symphony orchestra and percussion section against every track does grate a bit after a while, especially as there's little of thematic worth in the score.

Not my cup of tea.

It's not bad, but I haven't finished the album yet for this very reason. I don't normally think "oh, another action track?". "Relentless" is an appropriate word.
  1. Martijn wrote
    Not my cup of tea.

*puts Thunderbirds on the to-investigate list*
  2. NP: The Final Countdown (1980) - John Scott

Plus a mug of hot Darjeeling. A nice way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: Antony and Cleopatra (1972) - John Scott

One of the best scores that genre has to offer.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016
    DreamTheater wrote
    You need to watch the short film 'Kung Fury' Thor, which was inspired by the above-mentioned game.

The music and visual style should definitely appeal to you. I think it's on youtube.

Kung Fury wasn't inspired by Blood Dragon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Deadpool - Junkie XL

I'm sure there have been less enjoyable soundtrack albums, I just can't think of any at the moment because it's induced me into some kind of catatonic state.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That doesn't sound so bad...
  4. Southall wrote
    Battle of Algiers - Ennio Morricone

This is some piece of work. So stark and aggressive and yet so compelling. The music was written for a film about the Battle of Algiers.

Great score. Have you seen the film?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Battle of Algiers - Ennio Morricone

This is some piece of work. So stark and aggressive and yet so compelling. The music was written for a film about the Battle of Algiers.

Great score. Have you seen the film?

I haven't. What's it about?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2016 edited
    NP: DYING LIGHT (Pawel Blaszczak)

Great, retro electroscore for this 2015 videogame, one of the highlights of the "genre" last year. Pawel, have you heard about this Polish composer, your namesake?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Also the composer of western first-person shooters Call of Juarez and sequels, which had some good western-inspired music (obviously).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. NP: Deadpool (Junkie XL)

Apart from the fact this album's pretty hideously produced (those songs do not mesh at all with the score), the only thing I remember of it is Michael Jackson's Beat It that forms the basis of the otherwise pretty decent theme.

The rest is sadly utterly forgettable. Another non Superman / X-Men: The Last Stand / Amazing Spiderman score, what was I thinking?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. crazy

Every time I see you post it's for some new score and how crap it is. Change tactics and do what i do bro! cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2016
    NP: HUMAN (Armand Amar)

Fantastic score for this 2015 documentary, one of the best in the category and a contender for my own Top 10 overall, had I heard it properly before I made my episode.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote

Fantastic score for this 2015 documentary, one of the best in the category and a contender for my own Top 10 overall, had I heard it properly before I made my episode.

I don't know. It's all very fine music but he did this now so many times before, a lot is borrowed and updated from other documentaries he has done. HUMAN is very good but when listening I wanted to go listen to HOME instead.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DreamTheater wrote
    crazy

Every time I see you post it's for some new score and how crap it is. Change tactics and do what i do bro! cheesy

If Junk XL scored every film, we would be right to adopt your aversion to the new. Thankfully he doesn't, and you're left with not even the sliver of a point. I really do wish 'old is better' would die. (Come to think of it, in my day, we never used to worry about it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote

I don't know. It's all very fine music but he did this now so many times before, a lot is borrowed and updated from other documentaries he has done. HUMAN is very good but when listening I wanted to go listen to HOME instead.

Haven't heard HOME, but if it's anything close to this, I'll like it.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    crazy

If Junk XL scored every film, we would be right to adopt your aversion to the new. Thankfully he doesn't, and you're left with not even the sliver of a point. I really do wish 'old is better' would die. (Come to think of it, in my day, we never used to worry about it.)

I get that it's getting old... and a tad annoying for some. It's just an inside joke between us two. Thomas likes to torture himself with stuff he HAS to listen to, feels the need to post about it in a negative way, which in turn makes me react. Because I only listen to what I WANT to listen to. And what I want to listen to is just not a lot of the modern kind. Of course there's great music being written today, but I make a choice everyday of what music I put on, and 95 % of the time it's just something I already know and like. I'm obsessed with my owned music in the way that I can re-listen to it a zillion times before getting bored with it.

There I said it, I'm obsessed ! And I love the music of the 80s and the 90s more than life itself. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016 edited
    DEADPOOL | a dj

Apart from the music, this is okay. Otherwise there's not much to say. If this is the new normal for superhero movies, which I don't like very much anyway (although this movie looks cool), then they can have it. Is this dj also working with Zimmer for Superman vs Batman? Sounds like an apocalyptic disaster.

LEGEND OF 1900 | ennio morricone

The opening track (Legend of the Pianist) is a fantastic piece. The rest of the album never really reaches the same heights, but it is still all very good and very atmospheric with the piano theme being the highlight. Perhaps the songs in between break the mood here and there, but as an album the best is at the beginning.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016
    Bregt wrote
    DEADPOOL | a dj

Apart from the music, this is okay.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016 edited
    This DEADPOOL thing sounds interesting. If so many of you dislike it, I will probably like it (I also like JXL in general). I know that the film was a passion project for Ryan Reynolds that was many years in the making, and I was intrigued after I saw a clip at the Graham Norton show recently. Sounds like something in the alley of KICK-ASS, SUPER or HANCOCK -- i.e. a subversive superhero film of some kind?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016
    Yeah. I think the movie will be quite cool, and like you say, in the style of those you mention.
    Kazoo