• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2016
    BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    (I don't mean to occupy this thread with all these Zimmer posts, but it's my way of coping with the fact that I don't get to see him live on his tour, which just started. Don't worry, the Zimmer walkthrough will be over soon.)

NP: INTERSTELLAR (Hans Zimmer)

Masterpiece film and score. In terms of build-ups, even Ravel would be proud.

What's Graeme Ravel got to do with it?

Speaking of him, and i was listening his mystique, ethereal RED PLANET the other day, where is he? retired?

He's currently doing the Gotham tv-series, ongoing since 2014. Since he isn't doing anything else since 2013, let's say it's a project that keeps him occupied enough to have some work.

thanks!

Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    GEORGE DELERUE - Agnes of God

Mein Gott, film music rarely got more sweeping and beautiful than Delerue. Esp. in a score like that.

Not too keen on the suspense tracks (I never am with Delerue), but the rest is pure religious bliss, of course!

Yes, me too, i prefer the more romantic, sweeping melodic Delerue tracks always in each of his scores.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - the peacemaker

After all these years, a re-visit. And i blame Thor wink have you ever noticed that this is a pre-mature, slow version of Gladiator, an L.E. version if you like. Has some very good cues in it btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....sorry about that. I'm getting to that soon myself.

NP: THE LONE RANGER (Hans Zimmer)

Was this well-received or not at the time (the score, I mean)? I can't remember. But I like it. Gung ho western music with bits of SHERLOCK HOLMES and groovy basslines.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I seem to remember that people mostly liked it.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Ha, ha....sorry about that. I'm getting to that soon myself.

NP: THE LONE RANGER (Hans Zimmer)

Was this well-received or not at the time (the score, I mean)? I can't remember. But I like it. Gung ho western music with bits of SHERLOCK HOLMES and groovy basslines.

Yes, it was received rather well. I loved it too. A dark cross between Sherlock and his POTC material smile
  2. Steven wrote
    It's an injustice Horner died, yet James Cameron gets to keep on making Avatar films.

Somebody needs to tell him nobody gives a shit about Avatar, aside from hipsters and morons.

Oh my goodness -- did you hear? He's decided we want even more of it and has expanded it from three sequels to four.

No, REALLY. vomit

I didn't know Pocahontas had four sequels.....
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Cinema is kind of taking the HBO direction: One Star Wars film each year, one Avatar, one Marvel, one DC ... It's essentially serial production.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2016 edited
    Well, the concept of a franchise is hardly new.

I applaud Cameron's effort to lift the AVATAR mythology (which I adore) to STAR WARS or LORD OF THE RINGS level. Can't wait! At the same time, I wish he gets time to sneak some other projects in there in the next seven years.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. But having one franchise specific film per anno is new. The only comparable thing is the James Bond serial production with Roger Moore back in the 80s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hans zimmer - broken arrow, chill factor, drop zone.

My God, what an abominable collection of horrible noise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Are you listening to all three at once? Then I certainly understand why it's noisy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Was listening today since morning, one after another sadly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

Personally I wouldn't make the mistake of listening to those again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I did, out of pure nostalgia. And then it was straight to the garbage bin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't heard CHILL FACTOR and DROP ZONE properly, but I enjoy BROKEN ARROW. I don't own it, but I've sampled it a few times over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MAN OF STEEL (Hans Zimmer)

Percussion galore, but some great stuff here. Wish it had more of the calmer material, though. It is a little full-on at times. I thought the film was great.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Percussion galore, but some great stuff here. Wish it had more of the calmer material, though. It is a little full-on at times. I thought the film was great.

I like the slower, dramatic parts. Generally i like this score, as much as i despise the pure noise fest that was amazing spiderman 2. And i liked the equally slow and dramatic parts in Batman vs superman (although way less highlights than Man of Steel).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

I like the slower, dramatic parts. Generally i like this score, as much as i despise the pure noise fest that was amazing spiderman 2. And i liked the equally slow and dramatic parts in Batman vs superman (although way less highlights than Man of Steel).

We disagree on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (I dig that score; check out the first post of this Zimmer walkthrough), but I agree with the rest.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - house of the spirits

Yes, it's sublime. And Largely overlooked imo, along with his INVINSIBLE score with Badelt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HARALD KLOSER - white house down

forgotten how much i enjoy this, since i last played it (and it was way long ago wink ) What is he up to?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HARRY GREGSON WILLIAMS - sinbad

So much fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Demetris wrote

forgotten how much i enjoy this, since i last played it (and it was way long ago wink ) What is he up to?

Currently, Independence Day: Resurgence, much to the chagrin of all David Arnold enthusiasts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote

Currently, Independence Day: Resurgence, much to the chagrin of all David Arnold enthusiasts.

I usually like what he does. I imagine it will be big, only hope it's heroic and epic, and not noisy. I don't mind cheesy. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote

I usually like what he does.

You do? uhm Why?

You've changed, man. You've changed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I think both Kloser and Wander are better than what people say. I have high expectations for INDENPENDENCE DAY, both film and score, even without David Arnold.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Demetris wrote

I usually like what he does.

You do? uhm Why?

You've changed, man. You've changed!

They are cheesy, but i like those long, dramatic Zimmer string lines ZImmer no longer does smile Anonymous, the day after tomorrow and white house down are close to my tastes when i want to switch brain off and have nice music in the background while editing for instance wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, I think both Kloser and Wander are better than what people say. I have high expectations for INDENPENDENCE DAY, both film and score, even without David Arnold.

I liked him better when he was a wanker.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MATCHSTICK MEN (Hans Zimmer)

Hardly ever talked about. This was a score I got before I did my Ridley Scott episode a couple of years ago. The film is OK, but comedy is not Scott's forte. The score is breezy and lightweight, with bits of tango and quirkiness. Fine, but by no means a masterpiece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Demetris wrote

Broken Arrow is awesome, the very first release. I think I'm this score's strongest defender on this board and proud of it. Along with Crimson Tide and The Peacemaker the ultimate Zimmer action trilogy. smile

Also Drop Zone, pretty cool as well. I guess screaming guitars are either a love or hate thing. punk

But to call it noise... well that's just wrong. Because there's actual melody in these scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: MATCHSTICK MEN (Hans Zimmer)

Hardly ever talked about. This was a score I got before I did my Ridley Scott episode a couple of years ago. The film is OK, but comedy is not Scott's forte. The score is breezy and lightweight, with bits of tango and quirkiness. Fine, but by no means a masterpiece.

Indeed, a bit meh.

DreamTheater wrote
    Demetris wrote

Broken Arrow is awesome, the very first release. I think I'm this score's strongest defender on this board and proud of it. Along with Crimson Tide and The Peacemaker the ultimate Zimmer action trilogy. smile

Also Drop Zone, pretty cool as well. I guess screaming guitars are either a love or hate thing. punk

But to call it noise... well that's just wrong. Because there's actual melody in these scores.

If those themes were re-recorded today with proper orchestra and samples, yes, their melody would come up through the noise. As they are, with that horribly dated sound, not my cup of tea at all. But i'd not put CRIMSON TIDE or PEACEMAKER along with them , those two are on a wholly different level, love them, no comparison with the afore-mentioned noise smile