• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2016
    NP: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE 2 (Hans Zimmer)

Simply put: the best MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE score so far!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2016 edited
    NP: PACIFIC HEIGHTS (Hans Zimmer)

I have nostalgic memories of the film, and the score is actually quite listenable for a thriller (although the suspense parts are a bit grating). Here's the twangy "banjo-like" guitar, decades before SHERLOCK, in addition to sleazy sax and whatnot. It's a fairly recent acquisition of mine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PEACEMAKER (Hans Zimmer)

The original release. There's some decent power anthem material here, but it's a bit all-over-the-place at times. I was never able to be a big fan of this score, but I continually give it more chances.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: PACIFIC HEIGHTS (Hans Zimmer)

I have nostalgic memories of the film, and the score is actually quite listenable for a thriller (although the suspense parts are a bit grating). Here's the twangy "banjo-like" guitar, decades before SHERLOCK, in addition to sleazy sax and whatnot. It's a fairly recent acquisition of mine.

No NO, it's unlistenable! smile

Thor wrote

Has some deeply enjoyable pieces in it, but nothing beats Giacchino's MI3 imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JEFF BEAL - the dovekeepers

Not a fan of Beal in general, but i am hooked on his HOUSE OF CARDS scores (and series wink) and this mild, melodic middle-eastern score here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can name at least three other MI scores than beat MI3! Elfman's remains the best I think, but Kraemer's score is my favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE POWER OF ONE (Hans Zimmer)

Zimmer and ethnic stuff -- it's where he's at his best.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GODS OF EGYPT - Marco Beltrami

This is bloody great! Marvel should book him up for Avengers Infinity War, NOW!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Indeed! He would make a fine addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I do wish they had just stuck with Silvestri though. Or Elfman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PRINCE OF EGYPT (Hans Zimmer)

I owned the original soundtrack once upon a time, but remember being disappointed that there wasn't more score (yeah, believe it or not, I craved an expansion of this). In wanting to re-acquire it awhile back, I saw that there was no expansion or score-only release of this, so I opted for....gulp...a 2CD bootleg. Of course, that has the opposite problem (too much, and there are bloody sound effects), but maybe I can make a decent playlist out of it while we wait for a new release of the score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE POWER OF ONE (Hans Zimmer)

Zimmer and ethnic stuff -- it's where he's at his best.

I prefer his most matured take on this one, which is TEARS OF THE SUN. Largely overlooked, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : GODS OF EGYPT - Marco Beltrami

This is bloody great! Marvel should book him up for Avengers Infinity War, NOW!!!!

Steven wrote
    Indeed! He would make a fine addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I do wish they had just stuck with Silvestri though. Or Elfman.

Indeed. Enough Tyler-isms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RAIN MAN (Hans Zimmer)

Such a great score! Too bad it's hampered by abysmal sound quality.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. DISTANT WORLDS III: MORE MUSIC FROM FINAL FANTASY

Another tremendous album that is essentially a 'best of' of the vast library of glorious music penned by the legendary videogame composer Nobuo Uematsu for the Final Fantasy series. What's great about this series of albums is that the arrangements are done as if they were written for live performances. So we get some excellent concert versions of themes and tracks that were already very good to begin with. With the amazing quality of music that exists for the Final Fantasy games I'm sure many more Distant Worlds 'sequels' can be made. And I'll gladly buy them all, because if there's one thing that these albums clearly show is that videogame music is also traditionally symphonic, lovely, exciting and wonderful to experience, just like film scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Huntsman: Winter Soldier - JNH

The good bits are very good, but a lot of it's bland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep. At least they hired the same composer, there's that at least.
  2. Southall wrote
    The Huntsman: Winter Soldier - JNH

The good bits are very good, but a lot of it's bland.

That's exactly how I feel about the original score but I'm finding this one a much more consistent and satisfying listen overall. Just finishing up my second listen so I hope that view holds. Though there is some, I'm surprised how little reprisal there is of the original's themes, not necessarily a bad thing, just interesting.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Hans zimmer - broken arrow, chill factor, drop zone.

My God, what an abominable collection of horrible noise.

Don't know about the other two, but Broken Arrow - which I am now playing - is great. I love it!

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Thor wrote

The sound isn't that bad IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Not if you like things that are recorded inside a kitchen blender.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Not if you like things that are recorded inside a kitchen blender.

Could be the Fairlight CMI. It always sounds somewhat blurred. It's part of the charm. Like the Mellotron choir or the Solina String Ensemble. All children of their time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Are you kidding me? It has nothing to do with the original recording or the instruments. It's like the master tapes have deteriorated into oblivion. It basically sounds like the sound is coming from underneath a pillow. I guess that's all they had to work with, but I still hope they'll be able to untreasure better-sounding source material at some point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2016
    Thor wrote

suicide
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Thor wrote
    Are you kidding me? It has nothing to do with the original recording or the instruments. It's like the master tapes have deteriorated into oblivion. It basically sounds like the sound is coming from underneath a pillow. I guess that's all they had to work with, but I still hope they'll be able to untreasure better-sounding source material at some point.

Yeah the Perseverance release sounds way worse than the bootleg, that makes no sense at all. rolleyes
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Hans zimmer - broken arrow, chill factor, drop zone.

My God, what an abominable collection of horrible noise.

Don't know about the other two, but Broken Arrow - which I am now playing - is great. I love it!

smile Volker

Once again a post from Volker that is the opposite of a lie. cool

Now I have to add personally that the original album flows much better (also because it's shorter), as I've heard the expanded once and I haven't had the need to return to it. All the edits in that one felt awkward. It's the Milan release that blows me away every time. Awesomeness from the first note to the last. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: REGARDING HENRY (Hans Zimmer)

Beautiful! I have the rejected Delerue too, which is fine, but I prefer the Zimmer.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Goosebumps - Danny Elfman

This gets better with every listen. A fun, rollicking throwback of a score with echoes of Elfman's Tales From the Crypt theme as well as Beetlejuice and others. 'Mantis Chase' is sensational.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2016 edited
    David OC wrote
    Goosebumps - Danny Elfman

This gets better with every listen. A fun, rollicking throwback of a score with echoes of Elfman's Tales From the Crypt theme as well as Beetlejuice and others. 'Mantis Chase' is sensational.

Been trying to get into this, but haven't so far. It's not really my preferred Elfman sound these days. I'll give it more shots.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Steven wrote
    Yep. At least they hired the same composer, there's that at least.

Yes, but why do that and then chuck all the themes? rolleyes