• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2016
    Out of Africa - JB

Just gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016
    LSH wrote
    NP: The new one from James Newton Howard

I'm only 30 seconds in, so no comment as yet.

It has a lovely new theme, and a criminal lack of previous themes. The rest is as bland and forgettable as the bland and forgettable music that predominated the first score, despite those brief moments of JNH genius.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Genius? I'll tell you what's genius: [spoiler]CHEESE - I LOVE IT![/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: The new one from James Newton Howard

I'm only 30 seconds in, so no comment as yet.

It has a lovely new theme, and a criminal lack of previous themes. The rest is as bland and forgettable as the bland and forgettable music that predominated the first score, despite those brief moments of JNH genius.

Really strange. I couldn't exactly connect with the first one either. Though, strangely, I really fucking enjoyed the suite that was performed in Ghent a few years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not that strange. Suite form works well for a score that has few-but-incredible highlights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Cheese is not sentient, it can't be genius! The mould it grows on the other hand... blurs the line between vegetarian and meat-eating. (And I love it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote
    Not that strange. Suite form works well for a score that has few-but-incredible highlights.

Well it wouldn't be strange if it wasn't the highlight of the concert... (which, for me, it was) and there was a lot from JNH that I had been long waiting for live performances of.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Cheese is not sentient, it can't be genius! The mould it grows on the other hand... blurs the line between vegetarian and meat-eating. (And I love it.)

English cheese is the best in the world despite how deluded and frankly wrong the French are.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    How many here will get that one. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Whoever invented cheese deserves a GOLD MEDAL PRIZE. I will award it to him or her posthumously should he or she already be dead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bob Monkhouse...Bruce Forsyth...Little & Large... and many other contenders to choose from.

But I believe it was Basil Fawlty himself John Cleese who invented cheese, his original name was John Cheese but he wanted to be remembered more as a comedian so changed his name after inventing the culinary magnificence. True story.
  1. Les Visiteurs - La Revolution (Eric Levi)

Enormous Robin Hood temp track love here, it immediately wants to tell you to listen to Michael Kamen's score instead. The opening track is quite addicting though, and though the cues are all extremely short, it's all okay for a comedy score.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Timmer wrote
    Bob Monkhouse...Bruce Forsyth...Little & Large... and many other contenders to choose from.

But I believe it was Basil Fawlty himself John Cleese who invented cheese, his original name was John Cheese but he wanted to be remembered more as a comedian so changed his name after inventing the culinary magnificence. True story.

Ah yes, hence the cheese shop sketch. Classic Python. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

If I wasn't before, I'm awake now. Is Gods of Egypt in this style/idiom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    J. Flaherty wrote
    The Mummy Returns - Alan Silvestri

Idiom, well perhaps a little bit. But it's not even 1/100th as good.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Idiom, well perhaps a little bit. But it's not even 1/100th as good.

Don't know what issue Thor has with GODS OF EGYPT. If you like THE MUMMY RETURNS, don't hesitate.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It pretty much sucks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's a good poin...oh. Wait. No. That's actually raving lunacy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    J. Flaherty wrote

Have a listen!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/wrock-radio-episode-3/

It's wonderful!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. Very cool. Will do, Erik! Just as soon as I'm done with:

The New World - James Horner
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    It pretty much sucks.

Thor adjective;

(especially of speech or writing) arousing or intended to arouse angry or violent feelings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    J. Flaherty wrote

Yes, in many respects. I would put Silvestri's score above Beltrami's since it allows more room for romanticism, and feels like a more rounded score in that respect. But Beltrami's score is pretty damn spectacular regardless.
  6. Steven wrote
    Beltrami's score is pretty damn spectacular regardless.

Agreed. Thanks for the input, everybody.

I enjoyed the playlist on Cinematic Sound. But holy smokes, John Williams's score to Stanley and Iris is wonderful! Amazing that I'd never heard that before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    J. Flaherty wrote
    I enjoyed the playlist on Cinematic Sound. But holy smokes, John Williams's score to Stanley and Iris is wonderful! Amazing that I'd never heard that before.

Now THAT'S more like it. I adore that score from start to finish! So calm and soothing -- not a timpani in sight.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    J. Flaherty wrote
    Steven wrote
    Beltrami's score is pretty damn spectacular regardless.

Agreed. Thanks for the input, everybody.

beer
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Thor wrote
    J. Flaherty wrote

Now THAT'S more like it. I adore that score from start to finish! So calm and soothing -- not a timpani in sight.

Since you have abandoned all bombast and are listening to soothing music exclusively you must be by now halve way to nirvana. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Calmness = Bliss!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJ. Flaherty
    Fringe, season 2 - Chris Tilton

Listening out of nostalgia for the show, which I adored. But it's all sort of smoke and mirrors, and outtakes from Giacchino's Lost phase.

There was a time, six years ago, when I felt Giacchino could do no wrong scoring Lost. In retrospect, I think his accomplishment remains commendable (i.e., commendably unified for a show that was diffuse and out-of-control BIG -- he told the story musically better than the producers told it verbally or visually). But meh, I'd much rather listen to other stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Calmness = Bliss!

Says the fan of Junk XL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Calmness = Bliss!

Says the fan of Junk XL.

Also, cool electronica riffs and beats = Bliss!
    I am extremely serious.