• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    JORIS DE MAN (thankfully NOT Jordi the man wink ) - Killzone 2

Completely orchestral and leitomotific, this choir-packed score is a stunner, for the whole killzone series actually. Where is he these days?

Agreed. The score is filled with fanfares and a style that reminds me of the good old days (80s, 90s). And that theme, man ! Goosebump-inducing. Killzone 3 wasn't as strong but still good.

I was shocked that the developers of the newest game in the series (Killzone Shadow Fall) ignored Joris De Man and went with Tyler Bates, who wrote in his usual style (totally bland and forgettable score). vomit
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016
    Well, a sign of our times don't you think? i mean compare the first 2 killzone scores (Especially, and a little bit of the third one). All thematic, bold, leitmotific, orchestral. Now, all this is considered as terribly passe and mediocre. One-note bass drone scores are the shit these days wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JUNKIE XL - 300: rise of an empire.

SO many good tracks to choose from. 'history of artemisia','sparta','artemisia's childhood', 'fog battle','a beach of bodies','fire battle','queen corgo'.'greeks on attack' all very fine cues.

and then BLACK MASS which was a good but overrated movie imo, but with a strong, touching, slow-burning score.

Does this guy write crappy and noisy only when stressed by the 'over-presence and over-producing' of the mighty Z when working with him? 'cause some of his solo projects aren't bad at all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I should check out 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE. That went right past me.

Have you checked out some of his non-score albums?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I should check out 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE. That went right past me.

Have you checked out some of his non-score albums?

Only in my teenage years. I think it was his first ever solo album.

300: rise of an empire is a very well-done modern score imo, and although i do like Bates' original (the only Bates scorei can ever re-listen wink ) , still Junkie's score is a more mature, more coherent take. Check it out!

As for Junkie XL's solo scores sounding better than when with Zimmer, i should clarify: apart the crappy deadpool and mad max, unbearable stuff to my poor ears wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We certainly disagree on DEADPOOL and MAD MAX (which are some of my favourite scores of 2016 and 2015, respectively), but there is a handful of his scores in recent years that have been a bit lacklustre, agreed. Especially when he's "approximating" Zimmer.

In any case, this exchange has inspired me to check out his older non-score solo albums again (and remixes). Still hoping we get to hear more stuff like that in his film scores as well.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KEVIN RIEPL -Ascend Hand of Kul

Raw, primitive male voices, pipes and lots of brassy and percussive sounds. What's not to like? wink
  2. Oooohhh... brassy, percussive. Right up my alley. Will check that out, thanks.

I love how he channeled Goldsmith & Horner motifs in Aliens: Colonial Marines. Awesome as fuck tribute score.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    KOLJA ERDMANN - Russland

For those who like melancholic russian scores (orchestral with, of course, choir wink ) you will love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Larry Groupé - straw dogs

Orchestral, slow, melancholic and unsettling at places, but with a beautiful main theme. Has a quality from past eras.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    KOLJA ERDMANN - Russland

For those who like melancholic russian scores (orchestral with, of course, choir wink ) you will love it.

Yeah, this is VERY good!
    Damn hard to get the CD, too!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anyone heard anything else by him? KOLJA ERDMANN ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LUDOVICO EINAUDI - Doctor Zhivago (2002)

Oh man, that opening main theme, brings tears to my eyes, every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

I haven't, but I agree -- that's an impressive score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Larry Groupé - straw dogs

Orchestral, slow, melancholic and unsettling at places, but with a beautiful main theme. Has a quality from past eras.

It's OK, but it's a far cry from Jerry Fielding's original. But unfair comparison, perhaps.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Last Valley - John Barry

One of my favourite albums. And "Death of the Captain" gets me every time, so beautiful.

Original or Silva rerecording?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Demetris wrote

There's been a couple of digital releases of his documentary music. Expeditionen Ins Tierreich: Wilde Heimat is something I would recommend - though I don't think that it's available anymore.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Alan!
  4. Demetris wrote
    Now, all this is considered as terribly passe and mediocre. One-note bass drone scores are the shit these days wink

He says, and then goes on to praise Junkie XL's absolutely dreadful 300 score. rolleyes

Seriously, in that long list of cues you don't even mention the only track that's even halfway tolerable on that score: "Greeks Are Winning".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Brian Tyler - Criminal

Criminally bad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Now, all this is considered as terribly passe and mediocre. One-note bass drone scores are the shit these days wink

He says, and then goes on to praise Junkie XL's absolutely dreadful 300 score. rolleyes

Seriously, in that long list of cues you don't even mention the only track that's even halfway tolerable on that score: "Greeks Are Winning".

Oh man, not fair. XL's 300 score has 2 strong themes that are frequently re-appearing. It's far from one-note bassy drone score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARCELO ZAVROS - reaching for the moon

His scores are mostly auto-pilotish romantic, but when he's spot-on, like with 2004's beautiful THE DOOR IN THE FLOOR, then the results are outstanding. Very Barry-esque, orchestral and romantic. HIghlight cues: "corujas" "shooting stars"
  5. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Oh man, not fair. XL's 300 score has 2 strong themes that are frequently re-appearing. It's far from one-note bassy drone score.

We have very different ideas of what "strong themes are". Three or four synth brass notes don't cut it for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016 edited
    fair enough! Weren't you the one who loves the Hobbitzzzezzz scores though? wink (kidding wink )

n.p. THE WITCHER 3 - WILD HUNT - Marcin Przybylowicz and Mikolaj Stroinski

Exotic, rough and elegant at the same time. Very powerful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    MARCELO ZAVROS - reaching for the moon

His scores are mostly auto-pilotish romantic, but when he's spot-on, like with 2004's beautiful THE DOOR IN THE FLOOR, then the results are outstanding. Very Barry-esque, orchestral and romantic. HIghlight cues: "corujas" "shooting stars"

Haven't heard that, but I really like his ENOUGH SAID.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MARK ISHAM - Warrior

Has some nice slow cues, but why that dreadful raping of Beethoven's 9th all over the score and film?
  6. LAST OF THE DOGMEN - David Arnold

Such a superb score, with nods to Legends of the Fall and Dances with Wolves. Back in the day I called this a good score (in a truly fantastic period for scores), now it's excellent because it reminds me of a time that Arnold did these grand adventure scores year after year. In between Stargate and Independence Day he wrote this gem, and despite its shorter running time it's just as brilliantly written and emotionally powerful as those two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

One of my favourite albums. And "Death of the Captain" gets me every time, so beautiful.

Orig. Sound's a bit (well, very) crap but never mind, performance is exceptional.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Orig. Sound's a bit (well, very) crap but never mind, performance is exceptional.

Yup! Can't beat the original though I love the silva for all the extra cues ( complete? ) plus it's one of their finer JB recordings.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never seen the film. Would love to know the story behind the two-part "Main Title" - I guess only one of them is actually in the film. That rock-hard brassy opening to the second part is spine-tingling.