• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016 edited
    Southall wrote
    I've never seen the film. Would love to know the story behind the two-part "Main Title" - I guess only one of them is actually in the film. That rock-hard brassy opening to the second part is spine-tingling.

The film is pretty damned good actually, Brian Blessed is in it....briefly.

As to the two part main title, maybe it had an intermission though I don't remember the film running long enough to warrant that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2016
    NP : FAREWELL TO THE KING - Basil Poledouris

Superb score, I love it. Basil's love of John Barry shows strong influence in some cues.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

Superb score, I love it. Basil's love of John Barry shows strong influence in some cues.

"Nigel's Trip" is probably the best Barry homage (non-Bond) I've ever heard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Despite the Falling Snow - R Portman

It's OK. Bit too dour to be truly enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

"Nigel's Trip" is probably the best Barry homage (non-Bond) I've ever heard.

Agree!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2016
    Crimson Peak - Fernando Velazquez

There's filler, certainly - inevitable on an album this long. But there's a brilliant 45 mins in here.
    Anything with that gorgeous main theme is especially worth cherishing. It's truly a thing of beauty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2016 edited
    Southall wrote
    The Last Valley - John Barry

One of my favourite albums. And "Death of the Captain" gets me every time, so beautiful.

Pure genius, this score. We used it for our Warhammer RPG sessions quite regularly for a long time even before the Silva edition came out, so the players were really hit in the gut when I used those new versions out of nowhere for some special scenes. ^^
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Life of Pi - Mychael Danna

Still blows me away that something so mediocre took home an Oscar. 4 or 5 very nice cues but after that, nothing. It’s just bland, nondescript underscore.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    In Dreams - Elliot Goldenthal

Would have to regard it as middle of the road Goldenthal. Has some strong cues with very 'Goldenthalian' orchestrations but it never reaches any great heights as a whole.
  1. David OC wrote

Still blows me away that something so mediocre took home an Oscar. 4 or 5 very nice cues but after that, nothing. It’s just bland, nondescript underscore.

I think it's a fantastic, hypnotic listen. One of my favourites from the last 5 years for sure.
  2. The Force Awakens John Williams

I's just never getting boring for me, such a rich piece of work. This morning I'm particularly digging the Kylo Ren material any time it pops up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    John Chambers wrote
    The Force Awakens John Williams

I's just never getting boring for me, such a rich piece of work. This morning I'm particularly digging the Kylo Ren material any time it pops up!

Watched the film last night for the second time. Williams brings so much energy to it. Brilliant score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

It's been too long since I last played this, not only my favourite western score but one of my all time favourite scores full stop. The main theme has to be a contender for one of the greatest ever written.
  3. David OC wrote

Would have to regard it as middle of the road Goldenthal. Has some strong cues with very 'Goldenthalian' orchestrations but it never reaches any great heights as a whole.

Middle of the road project or not, Goldenthal's sound is one I'm always eager to hear. In Dreams is a mongrel, manic score and I love it. I guess it's an acquired taste. The electric guitars and the chamber strings -- a great combination that he gave his own unique touch. Disparate elements always sound so unified in Goldenthal.

NP: Ivanhoe - Miklos Rozsa
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

J. Flaherty wrote
    NP: Ivanhoe - Miklos Rozsa

Cor! Some cracking tunes this Saturday, lads!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: The Jungle Books (2012) - John Debney

I like this tremendously. Very enjoyable.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. I really have to revisit Goldsmith's Theme from Star Trek Voyager. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens - John Williams

This is the most recent Star Wars score, which was released on album late last year, unless you're reading this next year, in which case it was released the year before last.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016
    David OC wrote

Really? Like John C., I think it's a fantastic score -- also on my Top 10 that year, if memory serves. "Tsimtsum" was arguably the best score cue of the year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016 edited
    NP: STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS (John Williams)

Since everyone else was listening to it. This has become an extremely slow burner for me, meaning that it grows a bit more in appreciation every time I listen to it. It's nearing a place in my Top 10 of the year, but it's too early to tell.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. David OC wrote

I like it a lot, somewhat underappreciated gem in his discography. Even moreso these days that he isn't around anymore.

By the way, Goldenthal cue titles are always awesome.

Rubber Room Stomp
    Scytheoplicity

punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    IN DREAMS is great, but I don't play it very often. In fact, I haven't played anything by Goldenthal in a long while. It's a bit like fine dining. I can't overdo it all at once, and I can only "afford it" occasionally.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: RUDY (Jerry Goldsmith)

Wonderful. Smack in the middle of my favourite JG period. I've had the main theme for a long time, but only acquired the whole soundtrack (in digital format) recently after having had it in on my Goldsmith "physical CD" want list for a long time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Winter Huntsmen: Snow... White II? James Newton Howard

The new theme is glorious; the rest is forgettable. A shame that he didn't incorporate the previous themes from the first score, as this would have elevated it far above what it is. A decent suite could be made from this, but an album is too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JOURNEY TO MECCA (Michael Brook)

I love Brook in general, but especially in "ethnic" mode. Great stuff!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    CIVILIZATION BEYOND EARTH: RISING TIDE - Geoff Knorr, Grant Kirkhope

A self-made 63 minute playlist of all the good stuff. Fantastic, wondrous music.

It's like a love potion for the soul. love

It's just a shame that there is no release yet of the soundtracks that preceded Beyond Earth, which are called 'Civilization V' and two expansions called 'Gods & Kings' and 'Brave New World' written by Geoff Knorr and Michael Curran. Because from a writing standpoint those are easily just as glorious and brilliant as 'Beyond Earth' and 'Rising Tide'. The music has been released, though not through official channels, if you get my drift. They can be found on youtube. Hopefully some label will release these one day, very much deserved.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    CIVILIZATION BEYOND EARTH: RISING TIDE - Geoff Knorr, Grant Kirkhope

A self-made 63 minute playlist of all the good stuff. Fantastic, wondrous music.

It's like a love potion for the soul. love

It's just a shame that there is no release yet of the soundtracks that preceded Beyond Earth, which are called 'Civilization V' and two expansions called 'Gods & Kings' and 'Brave New World' written by Geoff Knorr and Michael Curran. Because from a writing standpoint those are easily just as glorious and brilliant as 'Beyond Earth' and 'Rising Tide'. The music has been released, though not through official channels, if you get my drift. They can be found on youtube. Hopefully some label will release these one day, very much deserved.

It's incredible, indeed.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  7. SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO - Naoki Sato & Hiroshi Miyagawa

The way I understand it is that Sato adapted the original themes from Miyagawa from the original TV series and crafted a lush and emotional score out of them for this big screen adaptation. This is my type of epic 5 star rated masterpiece. Not a track goes by where something happens that isn't instantly memorable or wonderful. A rare thing these days.
  8. yeah

NP: Fantastic Journey (1990) - various
    Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati Pops

This album is just like the title suggests.

Volker