• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016 edited
    NP: Vertical Limit - James Newton Howard

This one never really grabbed my attention. Not sure why, but I'm spinning it now for the first time in 6 years and I really enjoy what I hear!

Man, what I would give to hear another score of this sort written by Howard.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2016
    NP: Treasure Planet - James Newton Howard

Sensational!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Martian - Harry Gregson-Williams

More textural than melodic but for once when he's in this mode, there are actually interesting textures! With a few neat little motifs tossed in as well. 'Crossing Mars' is especially good with a real sense of awe and wonder about it.
  1. NP - WOLF TOTEM - James Horner

I really like this score. It's my favorite of his, since THE NEW WORLD, and I like it more with each listen. Reading through the 30 pages of NP posts since the last time I was on this forum I see that some of you have cooled on this score, but I've found the opposite happening. I think it's a great album, with each track bringing something significant to the listening experience. Between this and PAS DE DEUX, I think Horner was still at the top of his game when we lost him. sad
  2. David OC wrote
    The Martian - Harry Gregson-Williams
    'Crossing Mars' is especially good with a real sense of awe and wonder about it.

Indeed. That's one of my favorite tracks of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    NP - WOLF TOTEM - James Horner

I really like this score. It's my favorite of his, since THE NEW WORLD, and I like it more with each listen. Reading through the 30 pages of NP posts since the last time I was on this forum I see that some of you have cooled on this score, but I've found the opposite happening. I think it's a great album, with each track bringing something significant to the listening experience. Between this and PAS DE DEUX, I think Horner was still at the top of his game when we lost him. sad

Love it, some of the most emotional and melodic material he wrote, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

beer

Moved on to CARLOS: REY EMPERADOR - Federico Jusid

Until this gets an album release, all I have are the tracks on his site, but just based on those tracks, that's some of the best music that was composed last year for any medium. Some of it is incredibly big ("Lux Aeterna" is just massive!), and some is so gentle and gorgeous ("Idilio en America"). Great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

beer

Moved on to CARLOS: REY EMPERADOR - Federico Jusid

Until this gets an album release, all I have are the tracks on his site, but just based on those tracks, that's some of the best music that was composed last year for any medium. Some of it is incredibly big ("Lux Aeterna" is just massive!), and some is so gentle and gorgeous ("Idilio en America"). Great stuff!

Ah, Jusid. Such a bright young man. Hope he stirs away from the 'cheap Zimmer' syndrome that has recently hit a lot of Spaniard composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Salamander Jerry Goldsmith

This is the rerecording, and a fine one it is. Unfortunately much of the score doesn't float my boat, but the second track, 'Funeral Requiem for a General', is one of the greatest choral tracks I've ever heard. Very Final Conflict-esque. Should be one for any Goldsmith compilation.
  4. BATMAN & ROBIN - Elliot G.

OMFG! Now this is high quality film music !

I'm sure someone will agree with this statement. wink

FYI: not the bootleg
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Agree!
    Wait, what do you mean, 'not the bootleg'? As far as I know, this has not been released commercially.
  5. Gilles, compared to Batman Forever is there much new material? I've shied away from this score, but perhaps I'm missing out.

NP: Capricorn One - Jerry Goldsmith

I'm new to the complete score, and the album I got is Intrada's 2005 release. Based on Erik's comment a few weeks back and what I've read over at filmtracks.com, the National Philharmonic Orchestra recording is a notch more muscular. Which intrigues me for sure.

But I do like this, albeit as a suspense score. From what I've gathered, the re-recording is so much more energetic, it bumps the music into an action score. Will need to get my hands on it eventually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    BATMAN & ROBIN - Elliot G.

If you have ANY music from Batman & Robin then it's a bootleg.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Agree!
    Wait, what do you mean, 'not the bootleg'? As far as I know, this has not been released commercially.

That's correct. It has not had a commercial release. All that exists at the present time are bootlegs (but there may of course be several versions of that bootleg).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Gravity (2013) - Steven Price

An excellent example of great electronica in film music.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    BATMAN & ROBIN - Elliot G.

Come on man, it's Elliot Goldenthal, what did he ever do that it is NOT fucking amazing? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p MATTHEW MARGESON - Skyline

I am revisiting scores, and i remember i kept this from deletion 'cause of some reason. Trying to re-discover that reason but failing so far down the album (with the exception of 'abduction' and 'cavalry'). Any ideas? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL GIACCHINO - inside out

Loved the innocence and honesty of this film, the score is magical too. Can this man write something that's actually bad?

[edit], yes, obviously but thankfully they're the rare exception of the rule: alias, cars2, speed racer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

Loved the innocence and honesty of this film, the score is magical too. Can this man write something that's actually bad?

Yes, pretty much everything he's ever done.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MICHAEL KAMEN - Back to Gaya

Oh that main theme, gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yes, pretty much everything he's ever done.

lel biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Him and Desplat are actually the most overrated composers in the history of humankind.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. You are actually the most screwy Viking film music critic in the history of humankind. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Him and Desplat are actually the most overrated composers in the history of humankind.

No, no, no, i'll pretend i never read that wink

LEGO NINJAGO - MASTERS OF SPINJITZU - Michael Kramer and Jay Vincent

Oh, i'd take this fun ride over Zimmer's annoying kung fu panda scores anyday. Give them more to score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    You are actually the most screwy Viking film music critic in the history of humankind. smile

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Desplat and Giacchino are two of the best shining lights in mainstream film scoring, fact!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Reason prevails.
  8. Medal of Honor: Underground

Just happened to be listening to the man in question.

I'm not the cheerleader for Giacchino I was five years ago, but he's pretty damn good.
    And in spite of being somewhat grating, Speed Racer is fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Desplat and Giacchino are two of the best shining lights in mainstream film scoring, fact!

True, true smile